DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC connection lost regularly, in first minutes of flight.

mattvenn

Reactions
Hi all, hope everyone's doing well.

I wanted to write on the forum as it's been very useful for me in the past and it seems that if this is a fw/sw issue other people must be experiencing it but I can't find any recent threads about it for the mini2.

I'm still fairly new to flying (5 hours of flights in 6 months). I don't fly that often, and in an outing maybe only 2 takeoffs. This has only just started happening in the last few months after updating the app and firmware. Until recently I'd never had an RC lost.

The problem seems to be pretty predictable. I get everything ready and connected. Wait for GPS and homepoint update, take off. Then in around 1 minute (haven't timed it yet) the RC is lost.

Screen on the phone (pixel4a) is frozen. The aircraft stops and then starts returning to home as set in the safety options.

About 10 seconds later, RC is reconnected and everything starts working again.

So it's scary and I'm only just realising it seems predictable. If I keep the aircraft close by and wait for the connection to fail that seems safer, but it's not ideal obviously.

The other problem is that all video recordings taken on the flight are now no longer downloadable in the trimmed mode. When I connect the aircraft to share data and try, it says the cache isn't complete so trimmed mode isn't available.

I am on the latest versions of sw/fw:

* DJI Fly 1.5.9 (1015-official)
* Handset 04.11.0032
* Aircraft 01.03.0000

Anyone else seen these issues? Ideas on how to fix? I updated for the smooth camera controls but I'd prefer to have a solid RC connection.

Matt

Reactions: WyomingCB
First off, what drone are you flying?
You didn't mention that.

Are you launching near steel structures?
In a heavily populated area?
A lot of obstructions around take off area?
Did you recalibrate all?

This sounds very similar to the problems I had with a brand new dji system, purchased less than a month ago. Sounds like you have the mini 2 and I'm assuming the standard controller.?

My problems were with the Air 2S and RC Pro controller. Both came from the factory together as the combo.
Other people with other systems and combinations have seen the same or similar problems. But it seems random and fairly recent.

In my case, video feed or screen display (happened indoors too) would appear to freeze, then within a couple seconds; Aircraft not connected to RC. It would occasionally regain connection only to lose it again. Never any signal interference warning or weak signal display.

A temporary fix in my case was to manually switch transmission to 5.8 Ghz. Default (Dual Band) or manually set 2.4 Ghz demonstrated the problem repeatedly while 5.8 stayed connected without fail.....Turning my home wifi on or off had no effect.
I didn't attempt flying this way, that defeats the whole point of Occusync. I returned mine and they haven't received it from FedEx yet.
Don't know if that helps but it's maybe worth a try. ?

Last edited:
I took it out again today for some tests and out of 3 launches, I got the same disconnection twice.
No interferance, big structures etc near by. Within 5 meters or so of the drone.

I tried to get the flight logs, but they appear to be missing. They're meant to be in DJI/dji.go.v5/FlightRecord/ but as you can see in this screen shot there is no such folder. I've uploaded logs to this site before, so I don't know whats happened to it.

1644173577978.png

I was able to play back the flight on my phone, and I've screen shotted the disconnection and reconnection.
So you see in this sequence the weak signal message, the disconnect, rth and then reconnect.

Screenshot_20220206-195011.pngScreenshot_20220206-195020.pngScreenshot_20220206-195025.pngScreenshot_20220206-195034.png

I think I will open a support request with DJI.
Matt

This sounds very similar to the problems I had with a brand new dji system, purchased less than a month ago. Sounds like you have the mini 2 and I'm assuming the standard controller.?

My problems were with the Air 2S and RC Pro controller. Both came from the factory together as the combo.
Other people with other systems and combinations have seen the same or similar problems. But it seems random and fairly recent.

In my case, video feed or screen display (happened indoors too) would appear to freeze, then within a couple seconds; Aircraft not connected to RC. It would occasionally regain connection only to lose it again. Never any signal interference warning or weak signal display.

A temporary fix in my case was to manually switch transmission to 5.8 Ghz. Default (Dual Band) or manually set 2.4 Ghz demonstrated the problem repeatedly while 5.8 stayed connected without fail.....Turning my home wifi on or off had no effect.
I didn't attempt flying this way, that defeats the whole point of Occusync. I returned mine and they haven't received it from FedEx yet.
Don't know if that helps but it's maybe worth a try. ?
Did you switch transmissions mid flight? or is this something to do before take off? Thanks so much, I'm having this same problem w/my Mavic Air 2S and RC controller. Just delivered in January so it's brand new.

Did you switch transmissions mid flight? or is this something to do before take off? Thanks so much, I'm having this same problem w/my Mavic Air 2S and RC controller. Just delivered in January so it's brand new.
Hi, I returned the whole kit to DJI. Waiting for either fixed unit or a replacement.

update - the return was easy, print UPS label and drop off at my local collection point. I got an email when they received it and as it progressed got updates. They replaced the main board in the controller and it's on its way back. fingers crossed they fixed it. Will update when I've tested it.

got the drone back today. They have replaced the whole handset (my old one had a tag with my name / details that is mandatory here in Spain). I was wondering if I should have removed it first.

Will test when it's not raining.

Exactly the same issue within minutes of the 2nd test flight. Contacting DJI support to work out what to do next.

Support told me to uninstall and reinstall the app before opening another issue/sending it back.

I did with no expectation of any difference - as I had already updated to the latest version, and I can't understand how the app would effect the radio reception.

However, after about another 6 short test flights I haven't managed to get the RC disconnected again...

After the last update I have had a couple issues with disconecting and found this video.

It appears to be DJI is having issues outside of the M3 with connections.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242