DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC disconnection range?

Ok little update....thanks for all te help and advice btw!

Took the drone to a local park that has an open field and was able to get it out 2452m before it lost connecting. I was pretty impressed as it had already left the park and was above residential properties at this point.

Testing it back at home I have noticed it has specific routes that allow it to have a better connection
If I send it north of me i get about 250m
South I only got 120m before disconnecting
North west it went around 800m

Still testing it all out but I don't believe the drone is faulty I just need to work out the connection.

The air 2 doesnt have antenna on the outside so adjusting is not possible

As above..The problem seems to be the connection between your phone and the remote controller..

Ok little update....thanks for all te help and advice btw!

Took the drone to a local park that has an open field and was able to get it out 2452m before it lost connecting. I was pretty impressed as it had already left the park and was above residential properties at this point.

Testing it back at home I have noticed it has specific routes that allow it to have a better connection
If I send it north of me i get about 250m
South I only got 120m before disconnecting
North west it went around 800m

Still testing it all out but I don't believe the drone is faulty I just need to work out the connection.

The air 2 doesnt have antenna on the outside so adjusting is not possible

While you can't adjust antennas on the drone or controller, you can make sure you position the controller's internal antennas correctly. Make sure the longer flat top of the phone clamp is pointing right at the drone and has line of sight. You are going to be holding the controller at a pretty good angle to do that.

I didn't want to start a new thread so I will attempt to piggy-back here to pose my question. For those who are familiar with the Mav2 - before the "RC Not connected" message appears........is there any way to anticipate when it will appear or does it just randomly occur? I was flying today (urban area) about 350 feet altitude and the message popped on my controller. Luckily was able to stay clam and maneuver the altitude until signal came back and brought it home. I thought once that occurred, it would AUTOMATICALLY return home????? Thanks.

I didn't want to start a new thread so I will attempt to piggy-back here to pose my question. For those who are familiar with the Mav2 - before the "RC Not connected" message appears........is there any way to anticipate when it will appear or does it just randomly occur? I was flying today (urban area) about 350 feet altitude and the message popped on my controller. Luckily was able to stay clam and maneuver the altitude until signal came back and brought it home. I thought once that occurred, it would AUTOMATICALLY return home????? Thanks
In settings(app): Safety>Advanced Safety Settings. You have a choice of what happens upon signal loss: RTH, Descend or Hover. Has to be set when AC and RC are on. RC Not connected: happens randomly for me also, but rarely.

Reactions: fredyt123
In settings(app): Safety>Advanced Safety Settings. You have a choice of what happens upon signal loss: RTH, Descend or Hover. Has to be set when AC and RC are on. RC Not connected: happens randomly for me also, but rarely.
Thanks Marcass - Yes, my setting is as you indicated. I just wanted to verify is it automatic or is there any other way to prevent the dreadful "fly-away?"

Thanks Marcass - Yes, my setting is as you indicated. I just wanted to verify is it automatic or is there any other way to prevent the dreadful "fly-away?"
ALWAYS make sure you have full satellite lock and home point set. If you take off and go flying before, the drone doesn't know where it or home point are.

Reactions: Marcass Carcass
I didn't want to start a new thread so I will attempt to piggy-back here to pose my question. For those who are familiar with the Mav2 - before the "RC Not connected" message appears........is there any way to anticipate when it will appear or does it just randomly occur? I was flying today (urban area) about 350 feet altitude and the message popped on my controller. Luckily was able to stay clam and maneuver the altitude until signal came back and brought it home. I thought once that occurred, it would AUTOMATICALLY return home????? Thanks.
There is a signal strength meter in the DJI Fly app. Monitor it, and when it falls off, be prepared for a disconnect.

This is an older screenshot, but shows the icons to look for.
IMG_1324.jpg

Reactions: fredyt123
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dorky