DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC-N2 vs RC-2 controller for quickly taking photos into iPhone for inspections

zimm

Reactions
I get that the RC2 is the better option for just flying the drone. However for my intended use of taking roof/chimney photos for inspections and snapping photos that need to go into my iPhone's gallery, is the N2 possibly the better option?

I'm unsure of the work-flow to get photos from the RC2 to iPhone. Is it easy or a pain when photos taken from an iPhone plugged into the RC-N2 are already there?

Is it easy or a pain when photos taken from an iPhone plugged into the RC-N2 are already there?
The photos are on the SD card that's in the drone.
If you want to be able to see the detail that's in the full-size images, you need to use the pix on the SD card.

The photos are on the SD card that's in the drone.
If you want to be able to see the detail that's in the full-size images, you need to use the pix on the SD card.
That's good to know. The controller doesn't matter if that's the case.

You didn't say what drone, but on most current ones you can download the full size picture from the aircraft through the app, so I'd go with the N2.

Reactions: davidarmenb
Use a SD card and export to your computer

You didn't say what drone, but on most current ones you can download the full size picture from the aircraft through the app, so I'd go with the N2.

But you can do this whether you have the N2 controller or not. Quick Transfer operates over wifi. I've used it with Fly on my phone to transfer images from internal storage on my M4P, and I don't have an RC-N2.

Reactions: davidarmenb
As mentioned above, if your drone has QuickTransfer, you do not need any remote controller to transfer photos and videos from the drone directly to your phone via the DJI Fly app. So the remote does not matter for that use case.

...And all O4 drones (RC2, RC-N2) support QT, addressing the topic of the thread.

To complete the story however, in my experience QT has not always been what I would call "quick", when using it with the Mini 3 Pro. Apparently the throughput has been increased to 40MB/s on the M4P and it's much better.

Last edited:
I get that the RC2 is the better option for just flying the drone. However for my intended use of taking roof/chimney photos for inspections and snapping photos that need to go into my iPhone's gallery, is the N2 possibly the better option?

I'm unsure of the work-flow to get photos from the RC2 to iPhone. Is it easy or a pain when photos taken from an iPhone plugged into the RC-N2 are already there?
However for my intended use of taking roof/chimney photos for inspections and snapping photos that need to go into my iPhone's gallery, is the N2 possibly the better option?

My experience with the Air 3 and Quick Transfer is; land the aircraft, turn OFF the controller (I have RC 2 but it doesn't matter what the controller is), hold my iPhone near the drone with Bluetooth and DJI Fly on and tap Quick transfer and in less than 30 seconds download a 268 MB video to my iPhone gallery that is instantly viewable.

I have a pretty old phone so the magic must be in the drone. Enjoy your Air 3.

Another way to directly transfer data is to get an micro SD card adapter that plugs directly into your phone. I have a USB C adapter that takes both SD and micro SD cards, and appears as a mounted USB drive on my Android phone when attached.

I'm impatient, so I spend a little more to buy fast UHS-II micro SD cards (the ones with the extra row of contacts on them), and I found an adapter that supports the UHS-II spec. Caution: Most don't!!

Don't know if iOS supports mounting USB storage directly on the phone. If it does, this is a good way to get stuff on your phone very easily.

Here's what I have, love it, U$26 on Amazon:

61PjjCslDwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman