DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC STICK ERROR

Chips

Reactions
I had problems with my RC sticks a week ago and after many, many tries, it seemed to complete the calibration cycle. So I went out this morning to a park (very nervous as last week, I had no control after the drone took off and only managed to bring it home after my tries with RTH) and tried. First problem, the RC connected to the tablet but would not connect to the drone. So I thought I would try wifi mode and the drone worked fine but it's no way to fly.

Then I tried connecting the RC and suddenly got the message STICK ERROR. Re-centre sticks. I moved them around but nothing worked and there was a constant beeping. Tried it many times and the problem didn't go away so end of session. Guess I have to go to the shop which is far away to ask them to replace the RC.

Just curious to know if others who experienced this problem fixed it without having the RC replaced.

You can try calibrating the RC before the next few flights to make sure your controller is ok.

Aircraft off, RC and device connected. I do one stick at a time. Trying to do them together can be frustrating. Check out this thread and the following videos.

Remote control calibration

Thanks. I ran into this for the first time on Sunday. Had a brief flight, started to get a VERY brief shower...literally a few big raindrops so I landed, shut everything down. But the brief rain stopped. (Glad the drone was only 30ft above me, it had 2 drop of rain on it) Anyway went to take it up again and "Stick ERR" with the loud beeping happened. No matter what I tried, shutting down app, RC, Mavic, it still came up. Then the rains came again...so I bagged it.

I tried the RC Calibration so I hope this helps. Wanting to take it up, but it's been a lousy week of any flying so far, pea soupy air, tropical humidity with torrential rain popping up at any given moment here in the Philly/NJ area. :(
I also did run into a non responsive right dial that controls the video/photo exposure last week. Not sure why, that seemed to clear up after I landed the MP, rebooted the RC.

Very frustrating, I too have the stick error. Calibration impossible since the left stick won’t move the icon. Tried tried and tried, finally I was able to calibrate it after giving up for three weeks, did an upgrade and now back to STICK -ERROR and same thing left stick does not register. I m guessing and going to replace the cable that connects smart phone to remote maybe a kink? Can’t believe there isn’t more support for this problem.

Strangely, the stick error that plagued me 6 months ago almost does occur anymore. For one thing, I stopped using the stick protector - the long plastic piece that goes over the sticks - as I suspected it could have held the sticks in a bad position. I am also very careful handling the RC and avoid moving the sticks around. Occasionally, when I switch on the RC, I get a STICK ERROR warning but it goes off after a few seconds. If it persists, I switch off and move the sticks around to their extreme positions and restart, and it's okay. It used to be frustrating because I would waste so much time trying to stop the STICK PROBLEM but now I can just proceed with preparations to fly right away.

The only other thing I am cautious about is the small USB port on the left side which I use to recharging. I read that it has a pin inside which can be bent if insertion is not done carefully, so I follow that advice and I also use only the DJI cable. I got an extension cable for times when I need extra length like in my car.

"The only other thing I am cautious about is the small USB port on the left side which I use to recharging. I read that it has a pin inside which can be bent if insertion is not done carefully, so I follow that advice and I also use only the DJI cable. I got an extension cable for times when I need extra length like in my car."

Take some white out, or any color of nail polish (your color preference!!!) and put a small dot on the TOP of the connector when it is correctly inserted into the charging port.
You won't worry about orientation again. I have done this to every micro USB cable I have.

Take some white out, or any color of nail polish (your color preference!!!) and put a small dot on the TOP of the connector when it is correctly inserted into the charging port.
You won't worry about orientation again. I have done this to every micro USB cable I have.

I do that too. Something I learnt long ago from Toyota where they did simple things to reduce wasted time looking at which way a part should be inserted.

I too was getting stick error all of a sudden. I was using my iPad mini4 in the arms of the controller. I started using my iPad holder and no longer have the error.

I suspect that spreading the arms and jamming the iPad tightly into the arms my have slightly distorted the housing and caused the error.
Anyway it worked for me.

Happy flying

The sticks are especially sensitive and could be due to their positioning using magnets (from what I read). So you need to be very careful about keeping them in the proper position and it seems even the casing being slightly flexed can cause stick error. I found this when I used a holder that clamped onto the RC too tightly. When I stopped using it, the error message never appeared. Now I just keep the RC in a case that was designed for it and rarely have stick error (I would say from 2 out of 5 times to 2 out of 100 times, and the error is only momentary).

I've never had a stick error, but a couple of weeks ago I was taking photos of a neighbour's new deck (Mavic 20m away). Finished taking the photos from various altitudes then tried to bring it home using right stick. Mavic would not respond correctly to stick input. I thought initially that my orientation was wrong, but no - it was pointed directly away from me. Right stick back and mavic went right. Right stick left and Mavic away from me. All right stick controls were all over the place. Took me five minutes to fly it back 20m with constant juggling and orientation changes. Really weird. Battery was low (15%) but I couldn't figure out why that would make a difference.
Charged battery and took it out again the following day for more deck photos and behaved perfectly and has ever since. Any ideas?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000