DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC won't connect after initial flight

LivinLarge

Reactions
After many months of success, I am recently having a problem with connection from the RC to the AC. The RC connects and works fine for the first flight. After shutting down everything and changing batteries, the RC will not connect to the aircraft. This has happened in different locations far way from any interference. If I let it sit for half an hour, it will reconnect again. I have tried rebinding, but the RC will not go into bind mode. Tried switching the WiFi/RC switch, pressing the bind button, followed binding instructions for different methods with or without the mobile device attached. Nothing seems to work except letting it sit for a while.
The AC has never crashed or even had a hard landing. No recent changes to firmware or app.
Anyone else having this problem? Any idea what would cause this?

Last edited:
Because it works after letting it sit for a while, I am thinking that something is overheating. Do the fans on both the AC and RC turn on? You might try some compressed air in the vents of both the AC and RC to blow out any accumulated dust.

You also mentioned that you shut down everything when changing batteries. You only need to shut down the AC. After turning on the AC with the fresh battery, it should connect again.

Because it works after letting it sit for a while, I am thinking that something is overheating. Do the fans on both the AC and RC turn on? You might try some compressed air in the vents of both the AC and RC to blow out any accumulated dust.

You also mentioned that you shut down everything when changing batteries. You only need to shut down the AC. After turning on the AC with the fresh battery, it should connect again.
The fan in the aircraft does run. I have not noticed if the one in the RC is running. Does seem like a possible heat problem.
I normally turn off both to save battery. If you shut down the AC and remove the battery, the remote will have to reconnect anyway.

The fan in the aircraft does run. I have not noticed if the one in the RC is running...
The RC fan is barely noticeable.
...I normally turn off both to save battery. If you shut down the AC and remove the battery, the remote will have to reconnect anyway.
The reconnection time is quicker if you leave the RC on so in effect it will use less battery. Leaving the RC on will also keep the connection to Go 4 active so it will not need to restart (it will show disconnected until the AC and RC reconnect). Give it a try.

The fan in the aircraft does run. I have not noticed if the one in the RC is running. Does seem like a possible heat problem.
I normally turn off both to save battery. If you shut down the AC and remove the battery, the remote will have to reconnect anyway.
Tried again to connect after sitting for a while at room temperature and it did not work. Put the RC in the freezer for a minute or two and it did connect immediately after that, so maybe it is a heat issue with the remote.

Tried again to connect after sitting for a while at room temperature and it did not work. Put the RC in the freezer for a minute or two and it did connect immediately after that, so maybe it is a heat issue with the remote.
Does the RC fan run? It is fairly quiet.

Does the RC fan run? It is fairly quiet.
Checked the RC fan. It is running. I did another test flight and just shut off the aircraft. The RC did reconnect when I powered the AC again. Then I shut both off and they would not reconnect.

It is possible there is some dust accumulation in the RC so you might try some compressed air. I hope it does not get worse as the days get warmer.

Spent an hour on chat with DJI support. "Did you try to update firmware?" "Did you try downgrading firmware?" " Did you try resetting defaults?" "What phone are you using?" All of which obviously had nothing to do with the problem. Finally they agreed to have me return it for service or replacement. It is still in warranty.
So now we wait...

Well my replacement Mavic Pro and controller arrived today. I was happy about the turnaround time. First, I found that the RC battery was completely dead. Charged it up and discovered that it had not been bound to the aircraft. Took forever to get them to bind.
Updated firmware on both. Next, the sticks would not finish calibration on the RC. The process would just stall and time out. After many tries, I got it to finish on a different mobile device.
Next, I calibrated the gimbal and compass, then tried to fly. No luck. First I need to activate it. So back inside and try to log in to DJI. (What freaking password did I use nearly a year ago?) After activation I took it outside again and tried to fly. When powering up, I get a message saying a gimbal motor is overloaded. Could not find any obstruction. I had removed the clamp. No filters attached. Everything seemed to move smoothly, so I did another gimbal calibration. As before, it finished without errors.
I did not restart but took it up for a short flight. Everything worked OK. Video looked good. Landed and shut everything off and restarted. I was happy to see the RC connect to the aircraft again as this was the problem I was having with the last bird. Then I get the gimbal overload message again.
Back inside for a half hour chat with DJI support. "Did you update firmware, did you link again, did you calibrate, blah, blah?" then "I can't help with this problem I will have to transfer you." Next guy goes through the same stupid questions that have nothing to do with the gimbal then says "You will have to send it in for evaluation, you will need proof of purchase, oh and you will have to start over and do it by email."
So now we wait again...

Reactions: Paul2660
I feel your pain. Went through similar issues on a P4 Vr 2.0. 10 days to finally get approval to return it for a refund after the controller bricked on the 3rd flight.

Just a though on your situation. Do a search on this site on the gimbal overload error. It's a common one and many times appear to be in error. If your flight was good, no problems, I would consider trying the following:

Attempt to reset the camera from the DJIgo4 app. This should take only a few seconds but sometimes will clear errors.

I believe you did a gimbal calibration, and it went through OK, but I would try another. It only takes about 3 to 4 mins and may again clear up some error.

Download and install DJI Assistant 2 if you haven't already. (you can find on the main downloads page for the Mavic)
While attached to Assistant 2, try a fresh of the firmware to the drone, and see again if you can get by this error. You might also try downgrading the drone firmware to the previous one, and see if you get the error.

It's pretty clear that they just sent you a replacement, refurb, and I guess did not even turn it on, as you noted the controller was not paired. I also agree it's not the easiest process, as I have done on a Spark and it took several tries.

Just some ideas.

Paul Caldwell

Thanks for your response. I have searched for the problem on several forums. The consensus seems to be that since it has not been resolved by calibration, it will have to be returned for service or replacement. I had refreshed the firmware on the aircraft and RC through the Assistant software and calibrated everything more than once. As best I can tell, it is a mechanical problem where the gimbal is hanging too close to the mounting plate. As it goes through the initialization process, it is hitting part of the plate. In normal flight, it has not happened because it has not been required to move to some extreme position where this occurs.
I am now communicating by email with my third support person, who clearly has not read any of the previous communications and is asking me to jump through the same hoops again.
Here is a video of the gimbal initializing: Dropbox - Gimbal overload.mp4
You can really hear it banging against something.

Ok. Good point. If it’s hitting the frame sadly it has to go back. One last thought is make sure the plate the gimbal is mounted to is under all four corner stops correctly and the center clip underneath is still connected.

The gimbal design on the Mavic is its only weak link. Very fragile.

Hopefully DJI will send you a shipping label as it’s clear they did not test the equipment before shipping it out.

Pail Caldwell

Ha Ha. This was their last email:
"We actually recommend sending the RC because the drone undergoes test flight and the RC is used but it is really not that needed.
Regarding your question if we can cross-ship a replacement aircraft, unfortunately this cannot be done but please do not worry as I already put all the information the service center needs to make sure that you will receive a drone with 100% performance."
Clearly, they never did a test flight with the last one they sent me. The RC was not bound to the Mavic and the gimbal was overloaded at the start.
Waiting for a shipping label...

Well today I received another replacement Mavic Pro. This one has the same gimbal overload problem as the last one they sent. Once again, the RC was not bound to the aircraft so I know they never tested them together. It has been almost a month to the day since I sent the original Mavic back for service. I have an upcoming trip where I really want to do some aerial video. I have no expectation of receiving a working replacement in time (if ever.)
I wonder how quick I could get an Autel EVO?

Well today I received another replacement Mavic Pro. This one has the same gimbal overload problem as the last one they sent. Once again, the RC was not bound to the aircraft so I know they never tested them together. It has been almost a month to the day since I sent the original Mavic back for service. I have an upcoming trip where I really want to do some aerial video. I have no expectation of receiving a working replacement in time (if ever.)
I wonder how quick I could get an Autel EVO?
Have you checked any of the serial numbers? I’m curious if they are sending you reverbs, if there is an ‘R’ at the beginning of the serial number than it’s a referb. Or maybe they’re just sending the same one back...
Essentially all my run-ins with DJI have sucked (one of them involved a 2 month repair) so I can relate. It really is a bummer as it is an amazing craft.:cool:

They are sending different ones, not the same one, no"R" at the beginning of the serial number.
I just got off the phone with tech support. They have supposedly escalated the repair process. We will see. They would not cross ship a replacement. I reminded them that Yuneec did that for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS