DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Re-joining the drone life!

Welcome back and to add to the suggestions and tips above, you may want to download the B4UFLY app, if you don’t already have it. Among other features, it tells you if you’re in uncontrolled or controlled air space and if you’re free to take off. Best wishes.

Thank you for the acknowledgement. I would also advise you to google your city or county web page to see if they have locale restrictions. I live in York County, VA., and they prohibit flying from any county owned property (parks, schoolyards, etc…).

A while back, I received a "Thank You" note from a member who looked up his old "Pilot Check In" welcome note to get my member ID and he sent me a note that said he had lost his drone in some trees along a hiking path. He had no idea where in and which tree the drone was in. While he was trying to justify to his wife the expense of using the DJI Fly Away coverage, he received a phone call from someone who found the drone and wanted to return it… He wrote that in spite of being outside for a couple of weeks, the drone worked perfectly (after replacing the props…) So, It works…

I am a proud Pilot Institute Alumni. I took the course last summer, over a two-month period, I wanted to enjoy it and soak it all in… I Aced the Exam. The enrollment is for life and you can always log back on to learn the latest changes to the rules and laws. Greg Reverdiau's presentations are lot more interesting than the dry reading the comes out of the FAA…

PI also has a Youtube channel and I subscribe to for the latest news…

Besides offering free labels, they also offer various Free Courses, for instance, they have a Deep Dive 1.5 hour course on your Mini 3 Pro

Even if you do not plan on becoming a Professional Drone Pilot and really only want to fly for fun, the Part 107 License allows you to fly in places that a Recreational Pilot cannot fly… For instance, I live in the Zero Altitude Quadrant of Langley AFBs Class D Airspace (I call it a Drone Taxi Zone…) and as a Recreational Pilot, I was not allowed to fly my drone even in my own yard. But now, with my part 107, the FAA has authorized me to fly all over this area. I only have to coordinate my flying with the ATC at Langley and I have been refused on only one occasion and that was last weekend. The Base was having an Air Show and there was a three day Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) and the Thunderbirds and many other groups as well as vintage Aircraft were flying and they said, NO!!!

So, Go Forth and Fly…
LoudThunder, again lots of helpful stuff. I have already printed out my phone number and attached it to my drone. Such a simple thing, but it never crossed my mind. Hopefully I don’t ever have the necessity to utilize it, but its just a great idea.

Chris

Hi everyone.
I’ve just purchased a DJI Mini 3 Pro and rejoined the drone community. My wife gave me a very nice drone 8 years ago (a Yuneec Typhoon H). Too nice in fact. I was literally afraid to fly it because it might crash and my expensive toy would be up in flames! Anyway, I did learn to fly, I did crash, and I did recover - sort of. However it has been dormant for the last 3 1/2 years and now is “quirky” on startup. In any event, drone technology has moved on, so I am very excited by my new Mini 3 Pro. I have flown it more times in the last 7 days than I flew the Typhoon in the last 7 years 😂.

Looking forward to learning lots from the people on this forum.

Chris
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your work. Images and Video

I’m headed over to the Pilot Institue from you links to peruse the CT specific laws, since all I know so far is that I can’t fly in State Parks.
CT Part 107 pilot here. Other than launching/landing from State Parks being off limits, there are no other State specific rules that I know of. Like all States, private property is just that, and without permission - ideally in writing - to operate from private property, this could be considered a Simple Trespass. Locally, a man decided to fly near a youth football practice that was going on upon school property, and after multiple parents asking him to stop, the Police were called. He wound up with an arrest for Breach of Peace, but not drone specific charges. It sounds like you have all the FAA requirements satisfied, so fly and enjoy. Just be aware of birds along the shoreline…

Welcome back! :)

CT Part 107 pilot here. Other than launching/landing from State Parks being off limits, there are no other State specific rules that I know of. Like all States, private property is just that, and without permission - ideally in writing - to operate from private property, this could be considered a Simple Trespass. Locally, a man decided to fly near a youth football practice that was going on upon school property, and after multiple parents asking him to stop, the Police were called. He wound up with an arrest for Breach of Peace, but not drone specific charges. It sounds like you have all the FAA requirements satisfied, so fly and enjoy. Just be aware of birds along the shoreline…
Hi Brockrock,

Thanks for the CT specific information.

Do you know if its OK to fly OVER the State Park if I take off and land from somewhere legal OUTSIDE the park?

Chris

Hi Brockrock,

Thanks for the CT specific information.

Do you know if its OK to fly OVER the State Park if I take off and land from somewhere legal OUTSIDE the park?

Chris
Hi Chris. The airspace over the park is controlled by the FAA, so the Park authority would ‘technically’ have no authority to deny operation in this airspace. You would just want to be sure you took off and landed from a legal flying spot. The FAA control is not to the ground however. Local Law Enforcement- and the Courts if they became applicable - would consider the concept of curtilage. This has to do with areas where the normal activities of life take place and people have an expectation of privacy. This could be anything below the treetops, or it could be higher if say, flying kites was common at the park. This altitude would be opened for discussion. Bottom line is, there are so many great flying spots around CT, I never bother with the Parks..

Hi Chris. The airspace over the park is controlled by the FAA, so the Park authority would ‘technically’ have no authority to deny operation in this airspace. You would just want to be sure you took off and landed from a legal flying spot. The FAA control is not to the ground however. Local Law Enforcement- and the Courts if they became applicable - would consider the concept of curtilage. This has to do with areas where the normal activities of life take place and people have an expectation of privacy. This could be anything below the treetops, or it could be higher if say, flying kites was common at the park. This altitude would be opened for discussion. Bottom line is, there are so many great flying spots around CT, I never bother with the Parks..
Good advice. Thanks again.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13