DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Re-License or not to re-license

Shep

Reactions
My 2 years are up almost. To be honest I have done very little paid work over the last 2 years as I have been occupied with other matters. I had decided to not "re-up" but wouldn't you know it, last week I was called on for a shoot.

Sooo........ should I redo my license or no?

I applied and received my license solely to have access to instant authorization through LAANC
After waiting an entire year, instant authorization just went live for a small portion of my local area. I tried it out to today, and it is instant.

While it is not yet a game changer as much of this area is not yet live, when it does go fully live by the end of 2019, it will really shake things up. No more 5 mile radius NFZ. There will still be a radius but it will shrink and be reshaped; considerably. This matters as we are surrounded by small airports prohibiting access.

Whether or not I reapply will depend on the changes here locally.

My 2 years are up almost. To be honest I have done very little paid work over the last 2 years as I have been occupied with other matters. I had decided to not "re-up" but wouldn't you know it, last week I was called on for a shoot.

Sooo........ should I redo my license or no?

The FAA just published a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) where they plan to change the recurrent testing requirement. If they end up adopting the new rule, we won't have to pay a testing center $150 every 2 years, and instead there just will be an online training module to keep current. Hopefully this change goes "live" before my 107 expires in 2020.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143