DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Read/write sd card speed?

jakub

Reactions
What minimal write speed should my sd card have to record videos without glitches? Does Mavic write speed depends on something?
I know the more the better it is but I would also like to know if 20MB/s is okay, or should I search for something better.

If the card is too slow, you will probably notice the Mavic doing weird things, like gimbal resets, transmission disconnects, and other unnerving problems. I don't know for certain why, but it's speculated that if the SD card is present in the Mavic, it actually uses that as some sort of active memory extension for the internals. I would really get a U3 which has a minimum write speed of 30MB/s. You can't go wrong with it. Just don't get a card larger than 128GB.

In the Mavic specs, DJI recommends using at least a Class 10 or UHS-1 memory card. Those memory cards have a minimum sequential write speed of 10 MB/sec. So, a memory card that has a minimum sequential write speed of 20 MB/sec would be okay to use too.

The Mavic is only able to write data to the memory card at a maximum of 7.5 MB/sec. Many of the higher end memory cards are able to easily surpass that maximum. While those higher end memory cards won't be beneficial for the Mavic, you will be able to take advantage of quicker data transfers when copying data to/from the memory card.

If you're looking for a new memory card, you can find a list of commonly used memory cards here.

Reactions: locoman and jakub
Samsung EVO or Sandisk Ultra U1 (Class 10) cards are perfect - stick to 32GB as a maximum, and get a card for every battery you own, so you can swap cards when you land to change battery.

Some gimbal issues are down to incorrectly formatted cards (or faulty/fake ones), so always format your cards in the drone before takeoff.

Reactions: 3VP
Samsung EVO or Sandisk Ultra U1 (Class 10) cards are perfect - stick to 32GB as a maximum, and get a card for every battery you own, so you can swap cards when you land to change battery.

Some gimbal issues are down to incorrectly formatted cards (or faulty/fake ones), so always format your cards in the drone before takeoff.
I am just curious why you say stick to 32GB card instead of the "allowable" 64GB. And why do you swap cards out for every battery.

I have a Sandisk extreme 64, and just recently experienced the gimbal reset issue. Normally I would clear out the card pretty frequently but had let it get up past 32gb full. So I think you're right about that (32 GB). Both times it happened was when the file had reached 4GB. I just emptied/formatted it and did a few flights with no issues

It almost always occurs at the 4GB marks, because the Mavic cuts the file off at that point and starts a new one (even if your card is exFAT and supports files over 4GB).

If you format 32GB cards as exFAT on another device (which they fully support), the Mavic will have issues (and will reformat as FAT32).

32GB cards are cheap enough that you can get a few - it means you can swap cards between flights (organises files and prevents loss of all data should something go wrong) and format before takeoff to ensure the Mavic has a clean slate to work with. Never keep all your eggs in one basket!

I have a Sandisk extreme 64, and just recently experienced the gimbal reset issue. Normally I would clear out the card pretty frequently but had let it get up past 32gb full. So I think you're right about that (32 GB). Both times it happened was when the file had reached 4GB. I just emptied/formatted it and did a few flights with no issues
It almost always occurs at the 4GB marks, because the Mavic cuts the file off at that point and starts a new one (even if your card is exFAT and supports files over 4GB).

If you format 32GB cards as exFAT on another device (which they fully support), the Mavic will have issues (and will reformat as FAT32).

32GB cards are cheap enough that you can get a few - it means you can swap cards between flights (organises files and prevents loss of all data should something go wrong) and format before takeoff to ensure the Mavic has a clean slate to work with. Never keep all your eggs in one basket!
It's so weird though that it doesn't always happen. I use a 128GB U3 card formatted on my PC using exFAT. I always record way past the 4GB cutoff point, and never ever had I had a gimbal reset and my card is currently using 70GB of the 128GB.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr