DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Reading About a Lot of Fly-Aways

In one of those newbies (actually this is my first post). Albeit, I’ve spent about a 6 weeks preparing myself and upskilling my knowledge from a variety of sources to get tips and advice before a first flight. I’ve found Ventusky a great app to examine wind conditions before setting out. Would love to get your feedback and advice on other recommended apps from you experienced pilots for a non USA based enthusiast (as some of them seem to be just focused on the states).

Just should keep in mind that the wind velocity at a given location can vary greatly with even small increases of altitude above ground level. Caution should extend to being aware of this. Safe flying , all.

Wouldn't it be preferable to dump the throttle when realizing its getting into strong current, at least if it crashed into the ground or tree you have a shot at getting it back. As a side note why isn't there a tracking chip or device that could guide the pilot to the plane (sorry old habit). It seems for the most part to me that the data log does not seem to be enough for many pilots to find their aircraft. I know they sell something to help find your keys but the range would not cover this Im sure. Many new pilots are not aware of the upper wind layer until its far to late. Again the question about cutting the throttle. A device of this sort could make someone a lot of money from the hobby community.

My deal would always be to lower altitude.
That is why I couldn't get to the train I was chasing.
Came out high but should have hugged the ground (30ft)
But the up to 30mph headwinds was just too much for the Mavic Air I was using.
In sport mode - 17mph or less at full throttle:

Reactions: fificap
Man thats a cool video! I chased a train once, until I seen this I'd forgotten about it. Only managed
to get a few pics. Nothing like your video. Thanks for posting it.

You are quite welcome.
More in my YouTube Channel.
November 6th
It actually went through my home town.

Looks like there are going to be a lot of damaged motors out there.
Someone thought it would be cool to make AL motor covers for in flight.
You know, to keep the dust, dirt...and cooling air circulation out of the motors.

Reactions: Starz
Sorry but I disagree to agree lol.. I've ever once heard of a flyaway been called pilot error.. Every single one I've read about was always the same... Flying perfect then the drone shoots off at a weird angle and no control can be regained including RTH function.. I've seen many flyaway vids myself and none were pilot error.. The pilots were flying perfectly good.. Unless I've missed a case or 2 but this is all new to me
That's quite common but it's not a "flyaway".
It's a yaw error situation caused by launching from a magnetically compromised area and not noticing that the drone icon is pointing the wrong way in the direction indicator.
Launching from reinforced concrete surfaces is the most common cause of this.

That's quite common but it's not a "flyaway".
It's a yaw error situation caused by launching from a magnetically compromised area and not noticing that the drone icon is pointing the wrong way in the direction indicator.
Launching from reinforced concrete surfaces is the most common cause of this.

Not in the case of the Mavic Mini.
Most of the flyaways I hear of with the Mavic Mini are indeed pilot error.
Too high too fast too far into unknown winds.

Ergo my original advice - low and slow.

Not in the case of the Mavic Mini.
Most of the flyaways I hear of with the Mavic Mini are indeed pilot error.
Too high too fast too far into unknown winds.
Yes .. there have plenty of people putting minis up in strong winds but what he described in post #36 has nothing to do with wind and everything to do with launching from a magnetically dirty location.
It's common in all DJI drones including the mini.
It's pilot error because of the choice of launch spot.

Yes .. there have plenty of people putting minis up in strong winds but what he described in post #36 has nothing to do with wind and everything to do with launching from a magnetically dirty location.
It's common in all DJI drones including the mini.
It's pilot error because of the choice of launch spot.

I agree

But to suggest the new term "blow away" is ridiculous in my opinion.
Flyaway is when the drone is no longer under the pilot's control regardless of tech error or pilot error.

Reactions: Drgnfli
On my PC its fine but Ventusky at $4/year is ridiculous. The same info, particularly wind speed is available elsewhere for free. (Our taxes have already paid for it).

My deal would always be to lower altitude.
That is why I couldn't get to the train I was chasing.
Came out high but should have hugged the ground (30ft)
But the up to 30mph headwinds was just too much for the Mavic Air I was using.
In sport mode - 17mph or less at full throttle:
I've been trying to figure out a way to get to that bridge for a long time. Very nice video. The sound was off though ? <-- attempted humor.

I'm struggling with this topic, probably because I fly "real" airplanes at an airport that has some pretty sporty winds and reading the wind when shooting is "kind of" important. Instead of an app, can't you just look at trees, feel the wind on your face, watch how it's affecting the grass?

When you shot the video in your post and the test flight to the bridge video was the USBP at the launch location? Every time I go through there they are sitting in the turnout. In my experience they are always great to talk to.

That’s probably why dji came out with the MM, they know they’ll make a lot of money from first time flyers who are so excited to fly no matter what the environment condition is and doesn’t spend enough time reading the online manual.

I am amazed at how the wind direction cannot only change direction within 50feet,but can double(or more)in speed as well.I have found UAV Forecast a valuable app.many times.

While not 100% accurate (you can't put a windsonde up every square foot or meter) it's informative... Click on the word Earth to change the wind field height (its in hPa so you'll need to Google the equivalent ft or m) and other parameters. Click on the speed to change the units.

UAV forecast is a good app
I have found "Dark Sky" the best weather app with "UAV Forecast" the second best for accuracy... "Dark Sky" has an option that will inform/warn you if the wind, that day, will be over a certain amount (which you can set), so I know early on if it will be safe to fly that day... Another "precautionary" device is your foldable landing pad - when you set it on the ground & it blows away - IT IS TO DAM WINDY TO FLY YOUR DRONE ! ! !...IMHO...

Last edited:
On my PC its fine but Ventusky at $4/year is ridiculous. The same info, particularly wind speed is available elsewhere for free. (Our taxes have already paid for it).
I don’t know if there’s a different pricing model where you live, but the cost for me was a once-off price of €3.49 and there’s no subscription to be paid.

I agree. I lost my Mavic mini and it was low-key my fault. I've learnt my lesson and will be sure to never make the same mistake again.

It didn't help that a tonne of YouTubers tested it in high wind, so I thought it could handle wind.
And I am one of those YouTubers, but I do make it clear the Mini is a great bit of kit but absolutely can't handle strong wind.... And the wind is always way stronger once you get more than 50 feet high....

It is amazing reading about the number of errors and flyaways that are simply a result of high winds; the Mini has such a lower max speed that RTH often can't overcome the wind gusts; it also makes no effort to return to the correct location if it's been blown off course; the best it will do is to try and hover. Until the next gust blows it even further off course....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky