DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Real Estate Photography?

Emsflyer84

Reactions
Hey all, question for the group. I do some entry-level real estate photography on the side currently with my Mavic pro platinum. I’m looking to upgrade to either the Pro or the Zoom. I also do some basic social media marketing videos for the company I work for. None of these things require any kind of extensive post production work. It’s mostly shoot, download, post and deliver for me. At this point, I’m leaning towards the zoom. I think the ability to get close-up shots of real estate that may be difficult to access otherwise would be a huge advantage. For the print and online marketing that the real estate companies will use my work for, the extra image quality and ability to process from the pro would not really apply as far as I can tell.

Anyone have any advice on which model I should go with? I do like the idea of having the extra image quality in case I ever need it, but I think the zoom would be more useful in a practical sense for when I am doing.

Any thoughts on my situation and where I should go would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Since you already have a MPP I would wait for a while to replace it. Give DJI some time to get everything working right. When they provided a landing light but left out the precision landing feature that told me they were not quite ready for release. The hardware is great as always but the software/firmware could use some work.

7155B09D-5F1D-4533-AADE-0F381CF970FB.jpeg Photo I shot for a realtor friend of mine with my M2P. No post processing. JPEG straight from the SD card.

View attachment 47154 Photo I shot for a realtor friend of mine with my M2P. No post processing. JPEG straight from the SD card.

Thanks, great shot. I’m not questioning the Pro’s photo abilities at all. In fact it’s pictures like these that might put me into a Pro. I was just thinking I might have more versatility with the Zoom. Thanks again.

Reactions: Chopstix Kid
Thanks, great shot. I’m not questioning the Pro’s photo abilities at all. In fact it’s pictures like these that might put me into a Pro. I was just thinking I might have more versatility with the Zoom. Thanks again.

I was on the fence myself and really I thought I would get the zoom until the very last minute I just ended up having my wife grab the pro. I am well versed with Photoshop however the thought of post processing to achieve zoom was not high on my list. Ultimately though I gave In to wanting a better camera in lieu of something that I could achieve by not being lazy LOL. Also keep in mind that on the pro if you run video in HQ mode, it is affectively about a 1.4x zoom if I read correctly on other posts.

Reactions: Mister Pink
The 1 inch sensor is IMO non-negotiable. Clients want a high quality detailed image of a house and its surroundings and you will get exactly that. Again just my opinion. I can see the zoom having benefits, but for professional imagery, you will stand out with that 1inch sensor.

The 1 inch sensor is IMO non-negotiable. Clients want a high quality detailed image of a house and its surroundings and you will get exactly that. Again just my opinion. I can see the zoom having benefits, but for professional imagery, you will stand out with that 1inch sensor.
+1

For the purposes mentioned, I believe the Pro is the better choice as the quality of the pics will get you repeat business.. Should you need a close up shot for some reason just do the zoom post production and still be happy with the results.

Also, controlling the drone, being aware of your surroundings is very demanding of your focus and attention, adding the zoom function is just another burden on all the other tasks you have to complete simultaneously.

Its your decision though. There is value in the Zoom but for me, it would be for things like getting closer views to wildlife, concerts where drone-flying is prohibited over the crowds but you want a closer look - things that aren't that every day. However, if you need to get closer and you have the license or the required permissions you can. If you can get closer before using zoom, get closer.

Also, with the superior image quality of the Pro 2, you can zoom-in in post and crop and the image quality is there.

These would be photos for realtor sites that limit you to low res type images anyway. the original M1 with 12mp would be fine. It's a business.... be smart and save your money.

These would be photos for realtor sites that limit you to low res type images anyway. the original M1 with 12mp would be fine. It's a business.... be smart and save your money.

Not necessarily... Our photos go up on Zillow and MLS and even for the professional photography part we use, its always stacked raw images. The images on Zillow are noticeably better than those taken by a realtor with their phone. So yes the quality is noticeable.

Being smart would be investing in better gear to allow you to grow further into your craft. The difference in price is not significant enough to make it a poor business decision. Just my opinion.

Not necessarily... Our photos go up on Zillow and MLS and even for the professional photography part we use, its always stacked raw images. The images on Zillow are noticeably better than those taken by a realtor with their phone. So yes the quality is noticeable.

Being smart would be investing in better gear to allow you to grow further into your craft. The difference in price is not significant enough to make it a poor business decision. Just my opinion.

Being smart is supporting your lively hood first. I'm a photographer and know many friends still shooting the 5D2 because it still works, makes them money, and they have no need to upgrade. Being smart would reading the OP post where he admits he is a "entry level". He would benefit more from post editing capabilities and working on HDR techniques stuff like that then just simply getting a new rig. Just recently I was flying the P3P and sold some images made with it. The clients just want the look. Knowing when too shoot, controlling the light, getting the right angles goes much further than just dropping more money on a new bird.

I'm a hobbyist photographer, If I was a pro I would not spend money on gear like I do now. An example is what sounds smarter... making $100k/yr on $20k worth of gear or making $100k/yr on $2k worth of gear?

I know many pros and amateurs that far exceed my capabilities on creating amazing images with far less gear than I own. I'm not very good so I need all the help I can get.

Reactions: kilomikebravo

You can really tell the difference in the listings. The dynamic range to see the views out the windows. The complementary angles that show each room and patio without the distractions. A breathtaking twilight view in the glow of landscape lighting. Even if the floor plan isn't what we're looking for, those listings draw you in, and the photography is what makes it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada