DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Real World ADS-B Air Sense Experience

All manned aircraft have transponders with assigned codes. ATC uses these codes to identify planes. I suppose this is supposed to be adequate. ADS-B transmitting in small private aircraft would be a good idea.

All manned aircraft have transponders with assigned codes. ATC uses these codes to identify planes. I suppose this is supposed to be adequate. ADS-B transmitting in small private aircraft would be a good idea.
All aircraft are suppose to have ADS-B to operate in controlled airspace (except class D because the FAA is a joke).

What I’m not clear on is if an aircraft has ADS-B equipped does it automatically always transmit or if it can be turned off in flight.

lots of mis-information. General aviation aircraft do not have a minimum altitude of 500 ft. per say and they do not fly with a discreet code unless they are talking to ATC. They do have an altitude limit over cities and populated areas and generally they are limited to an altitude that in the case of emergency they would not endanger people or property. Remember fixed wing aircraft can glide. Drones drop out of the sky and all the Altitude in the world is not a safeguard. Endangering property can be construed to mean endangering the insurance company's property by the way. ADS-b 0ut is required in most airspace and if you do not have ADS-b out you are severely limited in where you can fly. ADS b out is expensive and drones are not required to have it. I hope it stays that way. ADS-b in aircraft is much more sophisticated than what is in my AIR2 but I do like it for what it does and where I think it really pays off is in avoiding...Helicopters. You know what helicopters are don't you...they are those things that fly only because the earth rejects them ?

Helicopters have different limits and can often be found flying below 500 feet. ADS-B can be quite useful in detecting them, if the helis are equipped with ADS-B out.
That is very true! I have discussions occasionally with drone pilots that will tell me that they will fly wherever they want and that there are no aircraft below 200 feet. I live within class C airspace and have a local airport that is less than five miles from me as well. I an not in the flightpath of the major airport and seldomly have manned aircraft come near me below 200 feet except... LifeFlight.

They are not always flying, thankfully, but when they do you do NOT want to be the one that causes any type of delay. Just remember that there are other manned aircraft that may have a very valid right to be where you would not be looking or expecting.

I listen on my scanner and am always on the lookout for LIFEGUARD call signs.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Sad I have MA2 I bought it in the US and it has ADS B capable, But I lived here in the Philippines and as per DJI Support ADS - B won't work here in my country.

Here in the USA it works very well. I had just landed when a warning of a small GA aircraft was nearby. I could actually hear the aircraft approaching when the warning occurred.

Last edited:
Reactions: heisnuts
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11