DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Real World ADS-B Air Sense Experience

heisnuts

Reactions
Now that I have had a chance to see the system in action now for several days, I figured I would post my experience with the system.

Overall, I am really impressed with how well ADS-B works here in the US. One of the areas I fly at is near the top of a hill. This means I do not have a clear view of what is on the other side of the hill with regards to manned aircraft coming my way. There have been a few times now where I had a plane coming in from behind the hill and the ADS-B system gave me a warning of where the plane was located on the map, the direction the plane was heading and even the level of severity as the plane approached. Here's how the system works.

As a manned aircraft approaches the system starts giving a warning by saying there is a manned aircraft approaching. The warning is a text warning like the one you would receive if you battery was starting to run low. The first warning is orange in color and if you are in FPV when it comes on the map in the bottom left corner gets an orange border that starts to flash. If you bring up the map, you will see the manned aircraft icon and that icon will move in the direction the plane is moving. This is really nice since you will also see where the Mavic is located to make sure you are nowhere in the path of the approaching plane.

If the manned aircraft is not close to the Mavic's location the warning stays in orange and then goes away once the plane gets out of range. However, if the manned aircraft continues getting closer, the warning will switch to red and a verbal warning will be heard as well. Yesterday, I had just taken off and had the Mavic hovering at 10 feet off the ground. The system saw an approaching plane from behind the hill I was on so I left the Mavic hovering at 10 feet right in front of me. The system went from orange to red and I could see the icon on the screen approaching my location directly. As the plane kept approaching, I continued to get the verbal warnings and then the remote actually started vibrating just before the plane got to my location. As it turned out, not only did the plane fly right overhead of my location, but it was a smaller aircraft that was flying really close to the top of the hill I was on. Since the system does not show the altitude of the manned aircraft, I assume that the system somehow knew the manned aircraft was somewhat close to the Mavic's altitude since I have had commercial aircraft fly overhead over 10,000 feet and did not see any warning at all.

Like I said, overall I am really impressed with the system. The only improvement I could see is the ability to see the altitude of the approaching plane, but overall I think it is a very useful tool to make sure you are nowhere near the path of an approaching manned aircraft.

I had the same occurrence the other day. Had a plane coming in and actually flew right over the field I was in. Pretty cool feature, and I had plenty of time to bring the drone down to a safe altitude.

I don’t quite understand why all manned aircraft aren’t required to have it on at all times. Seems like if drones will be required to transmit their location data at all times manned aircraft should have to do it too especially since it is for THEIR safety. At the very least it should be required that all manned aircraft equipped with ADS-B should be required to have it enabled at all times. Alas, no body ever accused the FAA of having any common sense ?

Last edited:
I don’t quite understand why all manned aircraft aren’t required to have it on all the times. Seems like if drones will be required to transmit their location data at all times manned aircraft should have to do it too especially since it is for THEIR safety. At the very least it should be required that all manned aircraft equipped with ADS-B should be required to have it enabled at all times. Alas, no body ever accused the FAA of having any common sense [emoji25]
Agreed!

Doesn't seem to be a limitation on the systems part since it detects all aircraft running ADS-B.
The limitation of this innovation by DJI (what I referred to as the system) is obvious and real, aircraft that don’t have active ADS-B will not be reported. I am sure you can imagine that not all users will be aware of this. False senses of security can be an issue.

Now that I have had a chance to see the system in action now for several days, I figured I would post my experience with the system.

Overall, I am really impressed with how well ADS-B works here in the US. One of the areas I fly at is near the top of a hill. This means I do not have a clear view of what is on the other side of the hill with regards to manned aircraft coming my way. There have been a few times now where I had a plane coming in from behind the hill and the ADS-B system gave me a warning of where the plane was located on the map, the direction the plane was heading and even the level of severity as the plane approached. Here's how the system works.

As a manned aircraft approaches the system starts giving a warning by saying there is a manned aircraft approaching. The warning is a text warning like the one you would receive if you battery was starting to run low. The first warning is orange in color and if you are in FPV when it comes on the map in the bottom left corner gets an orange border that starts to flash. If you bring up the map, you will see the manned aircraft icon and that icon will move in the direction the plane is moving. This is really nice since you will also see where the Mavic is located to make sure you are nowhere in the path of the approaching plane.

If the manned aircraft is not close to the Mavic's location the warning stays in orange and then goes away once the plane gets out of range. However, if the manned aircraft continues getting closer, the warning will switch to red and a verbal warning will be heard as well. Yesterday, I had just taken off and had the Mavic hovering at 10 feet off the ground. The system saw an approaching plane from behind the hill I was on so I left the Mavic hovering at 10 feet right in front of me. The system went from orange to red and I could see the icon on the screen approaching my location directly. As the plane kept approaching, I continued to get the verbal warnings and then the remote actually started vibrating just before the plane got to my location. As it turned out, not only did the plane fly right overhead of my location, but it was a smaller aircraft that was flying really close to the top of the hill I was on. Since the system does not show the altitude of the manned aircraft, I assume that the system somehow knew the manned aircraft was somewhat close to the Mavic's altitude since I have had commercial aircraft fly overhead over 10,000 feet and did not see any warning at all.

Like I said, overall I am really impressed with the system. The only improvement I could see is the ability to see the altitude of the approaching plane, but overall I think it is a very useful tool to make sure you are nowhere near the path of an approaching manned aircraft.
Thanks for sharing this. Great insight so others won’t panic. If you had landed, I wonder if the warnings would stop?

I had the same occurrence the other day. Had a plane coming in and actually flew right over the field I was in. Pretty cool feature, and I had plenty of time to bring the drone down to a safe altitude.
Private aircraft have a minimum allowable altitude of 500 feet. Most keep to 1000 feet. You have a maximum altitude of 400 feet. That makes a 100 foot barrier. Unless you are close in the landing path of aircraft, you are unlikely to experience any problem. Do you regularly fly at 400? I know that I fly mostly between 150-200. The other issue, of course, is other drones. Until ADS-B broadcasting is required on drones, there is no way your drone can detect them.

Private aircraft have a minimum allowable altitude of 500 feet. Most keep to 1000 feet. You have a maximum altitude of 400 feet. That makes a 100 foot barrier. Unless you are close in the landing path of aircraft, you are unlikely to experience any problem. Do you regularly fly at 400? I know that I fly mostly between 150-200. The other issue, of course, is other drones. Until ADS-B broadcasting is required on drones, there is no way your drone can detect them.
On occasion I'll fly at 400, I was at that altitude when I got the warning. The plane then flew overhead about 20 seconds later at what appeared to be no more than 500 feet.

Helicopters have different limits and can often be found flying below 500 feet. ADS-B can be quite useful in detecting them, if the helis are equipped with ADS-B out.

On occasion I'll fly at 400, I was at that altitude when I got the warning. The plane then flew overhead about 20 seconds later at what appeared to be no more than 500 feet.
It was a good thing, then, that you had good reflexes and made best use of your observation skill. Good flying! To others, I write, "Always be observant!"

Reactions: WithTheBirds
I was flying in a quarry when I noticed someone else flying a Mavic mini at the same location. Both of us made a deal to share the sky. I would stay above 300ft and he would stay below 250ft.

• Love
Reactions: Ron Caballero CAP
I was flying in a quarry when I noticed someone else flying a Mavic mini at the same location. Both of us made a deal to share the sky. I would stay above 300ft and he would stay below 250ft.
You are a professional. Congratulations!

Reactions: aokusman
While most aircraft will be above 500ft many won’t be. I live on the coast in Australia and have lost count of the number of sight seeing and police/emergency aircraft (fixed wing and rotor) that fly well below 500ft and close in to land over water (the ocean). We also get the occasional military aircraft that seem well under 500ft (police and military don’t have ADS-B active so hard to know actual altitude- they are close enough that the pilot or crew can see me wave at them as they have responded with a wing tip or even a wave from a helicopter with the door open), of the civilian aircraft that are broadcasting 200ft seems to be the average altitude for the low ones. I won’t fly out over the water without the aid of at least one spotter.

While most aircraft will be above 500ft many won’t be. I live on the coast in Australia and have lost count of the number of sight seeing and police/emergency aircraft (fixed wing and rotor) that fly well below 500ft and close in to land over water (the ocean). We also get the occasional military aircraft that seem well under 500ft (police and military don’t have ADS-B active so hard to know actual altitude- they are close enough that the pilot or crew can see me wave at them as they have responded with a wing tip or even a wave from a helicopter with the door open), of the civilian aircraft that are broadcasting 200ft seems to be the average altitude for the low ones. I won’t fly out over the water without the aid of at least one spotter.
You are correct about police and emergency aircraft. I had not considered that in my earlier posting. Does Australia have the same altitude restrictions as the U.S.? Either way, there are always a few who fly winged aircraft in dangerous manners. We need to keep our eyes out for them ADS-B or not!

I don’t quite understand why all manned aircraft aren’t required to have it on at all times. Seems like if drones will be required to transmit their location data at all times manned aircraft should have to do it too especially since it is for THEIR safety. At the very least it should be required that all manned aircraft equipped with ADS-B should be required to have it enabled at all times. Alas, no body ever accused the FAA of having any common sense ?
Haha i like how the focus has not shifted to manned aircrafts that don’t have ADS-B ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky