DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Real World MM Range Capabilities

Steve Mavic

Reactions
I am very close to buying a Mini but there are two things that are still bothering me.
1) What kind of "real-world" range are we getting with the Mini? I will do most of my flying in rural areas or remote locations.
2) My second concern is Uncommanded Descents. Do we think that the latest firmware update as well as better prop placement while storing the Mini will address the dreaded "U.D." problem?
Really liking the Mini but these issues make me wonder if I should keep saving for an Air2.
Thanks, Steve

I am very close to buying a Mini but there are two things that are still bothering me.
1) What kind of "real-world" range are we getting with the Mini? I will do most of my flying in rural areas or remote locations.
2) My second concern is Uncommanded Descents. Do we think that the latest firmware update as well as better prop placement while storing the Mini will address the dreaded "U.D." problem?
Really liking the Mini but these issues make me wonder if I should keep saving for an Air2.
Thanks, Steve

I have been flying DJI drones over three years. I started with a Phantom 4, then bought a Mavic Pro, then was flying an Inspire 1, Phantom 4 Pro, and both versions of the Mavic Enterprise regularly at work. I ordered a Mavic Mini for work as soon as they were available.

For the cost, I was blown away by the Mavic Mini. After flying one at work for a month, I ordered one for myself, and not long after, one for my wife, who had her own Phantom 4.

I took my own Mavic Mini to the Dominican Republic while on holidays in Feb. 2020 and was very happy with the video and photo quality.

I checked my Airdata account, the farthest I have had my MM out is about 2.5 kms. It is rated at 4 kms. If you are flying in remote areas, you should have no problem getting 2+ kms. I have found that flying over built up areas, you generally get about 1.5 kms before you start to get video breakup and lose signal. It is wi-fi based, so I suspect interference from other networks cause it more grief than some of the higher end drones.

I have no issue at all with any of the Mavic Minis I have flown and have about 20 hours flying time total. No prop strikes, no uncommanded descents, and no other issues.

I have done a lot of research on the Air 2, and think it is a good drone for the price. If money is not an issue, you may be better off with the Air 2. I do not think you would go wrong with either the MM or Air 2. One of the things I consider with the MM is that %$%^# happens. Should a bird take down your drone, you will be out a lot less $$ with a MM than most drones, and the pics and video are impressive.

Despite having access to just about every consumer drone DJI has produced in the past two years, my favorite two drones to fly area the Mavic Enterprise Zoom and the Mavic Mini.

I was out for a drive in February and took this video with the Mavic Mini.

Thanks, Steve
I also fly in BC Canada. I purchased the mini because of it's features which I think it lives up to at a fair price and mainly it does all that and but most importantly to me classifies in Canada as a micro drone (under 250g). It doesn't have to be registered and you don't need a pilot's certificate unlike all bigger drones. Basically the only rule is don't be stupid with it. I was once stupid (only once...) and flew it 3km before it started losing video and that was regained by gaining altitude. The video signal was being affected by trees in the LOS which more altitude got me above and I manually flew back.

Just fly it in the appropriate wind conditions, fly up wind if possible and heed any warnings and download the pdf manual for great info along with this forum.

EyesWideShut added some great information. I have an Advanced License and I am very careful about where I fly, but with the MM, the majority of the drone laws in Canada do not apply. I am much more relaxed flying it. Other than keeping in mind that you cannot invade someone's privacy, and have to fly safely, the regulations do not apply. While the TC regs do not apply, DJI still restricts where the MM is able to fly, similar to their other drones over 250 grams.

One of my tips for the Mavic Mini would be to mark the top of the end of the cords that are non-USB with a marker to prevent trying to jam them in upside down and breaking off the pins they go into.

Also, as noted, fly into the wind from takeoff when ever possible so you do not run into problems coming back. I suggest flying in the P mode and if you get into wind trouble engage S (sport) mode to get out of trouble. Never hit RTH (Return to Home) when you have wind problems as you will not get as much power as you will in the sport mode.

If you want to know where you can legally fly drones above 250 grams in Canada, this is the best map:

If you want to know where your DJI drone will actually take off and fly in Canada,check this site - it, ad the legal flying area do not match exactly in most cases.

1589321666890.png

Thanks again Kbv, great stuff and thanks for the maps. I see that depending on where you live, some people have a long drive ahead of them before flying.

Hey Steve, a long drive may not be required if you are a Mavic Mini owner as the under 250g rule applies in Canada. No need for registration or pilot's certificate and the one rule - "Don't be Stupid".

As per @Kbviper post and the DJI map (see below) the mini is allowed to take off and operate in all areas except right at the airport. Warnings come up when starting the mini stating the maximum altitude at the takeoff point (if any) and gives further warnings if you fly into another zone. For example 150m or 60m max. as I've marked in my sample from DJI.

.DJI Geo Map - Kamloops.jpg

The second map is from NRC Canada and shows the no-fly areas if you have a BASIC Certificate for registered over 250g sRPAS, rules that don't apply to the mini

NRC Canada Map - Kamloops.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Steve, a long drive may not be required if you are a Mavic Mini owner as the under 250g rule applies in Canada. No need for registration or pilot's certificate and the one rule - "Don't be Stupid".

As per @Kbviper post and the DJI map (see below) the mini is allowed to take off and operate in all areas except right at the airport. Warnings come up when starting the mini stating the maximum altitude at the takeoff point (if any) and gives further warnings if you fly into another zone. For example 150m or 60m max. as I've marked in my sample from DJI.

.View attachment 101158

The second map is from NRC Canada and shows the no-fly areas if you have an over BASIC Certificate for registered 250g sRPAS, rules that don't apply to the mini

View attachment 101159
So, if I've got this right... if two people, one with a Mini and one with a Mavic Air try to launch their aircraft from the same spot, its possible, depending on location, that only the Mini will be able to take off and the Air will be grounded?

I have done some research previously and am familiar with the basics and overall picture, just a little fuzzy on the differences between the Mini and drones over 250g near airports/aerodromes. I remember looking at my hometown of Campbell River, BC and seeing on the map that large parts of town look to be restricted due to proximity to airports/heliports etc. Again, if I'm understanding you correctly, the Mini may be ok to fly in some of those restricted areas.

Last edited:
I also fly in BC Canada. I purchased the mini because of it's features which I think it lives up to at a fair price and mainly it does all that and but most importantly to me classifies in Canada as a micro drone (under 250g). It doesn't have to be registered and you don't need a pilot's certificate unlike all bigger drones. Basically the only rule is don't be stupid with it. I was once stupid (only once...) and flew it 3km before it started losing video and that was regained by gaining altitude. The video signal was being affected by trees in the LOS which more altitude got me above and I manually flew back.

Just fly it in the appropriate wind conditions, fly up wind if possible and heed any warnings and download the pdf manual for great info along with this forum.
I´m glad that it´s still possible to fly on canada

So, if I've got this right... if two people, one with a Mini and one with a Mavic Air try to launch their aircraft from the same spot, its possible, depending on location, that only the Mini will be able to take off and the Air will be grounded?

I have done some research previously and am familiar with the basics and overall picture, just a little fuzzy on the differences between the Mini and drones over 250g near airports/aerodromes. I remember looking at my hometown of Campbell River, BC and seeing on the map that large parts of town look to be restricted due to proximity to airports/heliports etc. Again, if I'm understanding you correctly, the Mini may be ok to fly in some of those restricted areas.

I know that the Fly app let me take off and fly in those areas marked in the map with the indicated height restrictions warnings. I don't know for sure but believe heavier DJI drones would have more restrictions and not allow takeoff as the zones would be based on the Canadian Basic Operation Regulations below. I believe if you had an Advanced Operations you could unlock some of those areas. If someone with a Basic Operations or Advanced Certificate can chime in here it would be appreciated.

DJI Geo Map - Kamloops.jpg

I fly the mini so I don't have to jump thru all those hoops but don't know how long that will last as new regulations including micro drones are being proposed as we speak.

BasicOperations.jpg

Last edited:
I fly the mini so I don't have to jump thru all those hoops but don't know how long that will last as new regulations including micro drones are being proposed as we speak.

Do you have a source for this? I just bought a Mini and this would really put a wrench in the whole reason I bought it.

Do you have a source for this? I just bought a Mini and this would really put a wrench in the whole reason I bought it.
Here's the source on RPAS Proposed "Lower-Risk Beyond Visual Line-of Sight ". Interested parties are welcome to submit proposals.

I also saw a post on this forum with a link to a great video explaining the proposal. Can anyone help with the link?

Here's the source on RPAS Proposed "Lower-Risk Beyond Visual Line-of Sight ". Interested parties are welcome to submit proposals.

I also saw a post on this forum with a link to a great video explaining the proposal. Can anyone help with the link?
Just skimming the executive summary, but it looks like this proposed change doesn't apply to sub 250g drones still. And it seems like it's a proposal to allow non-visual line of sight to operate drones in some circumstances, like if they have a SFOC.

Am I missing something?

Just skimming the executive summary, but it looks like this proposed change doesn't apply to sub 250g drones still. And it seems like it's a proposal to allow non-visual line of sight to operate drones in some circumstances, like if they have a SFOC.

Am I missing something?
I've just skimmed the proposal also but there is some mention of micro drones (sub 250g). Anyway here's that link to Don of Don Drones video. Very well done.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard