DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Really need a tip to scare seagulls away

Just went for a flight. This is what is waiting for my mavic on take off and landing. A circling swarm of hawks and birds that get quite annoyed the the drone!IMG_20200217_103709596.jpg

A holographic silver or gold skin may be worth a shot.
It's the stuff they hang in strips around orchards etc that move in the wind and scare off birds . . .

502915203_811x664.jpg

You might have to contact other drone skin / wrap companies to see if there are more on the market.
I've seen that on Alliexpress.com

This guy says his kite cleans out a 1/4 to 1/2 mile of airspace

Got another idea. Mount the speaker and play an audio loop of alpha seagull screeching. This guy on the video sounds convincing. Not sure if screeching would be more or less effective than beeper. Any wildlife biologists in the house?

1582170542111.png

Since the days of the Wright brothers, mankind has waged war upon our feathered friends at every airport around the globe. And lost.

Amen.

Reactions: Ken.
I don't know, but it might be a try: Take a picture of your mother in law and stick it to the front of the drone...

No serious, We invade the habitat of the seaguls (and other birds) with our drones and will have to live with the fact, that they try to defend their habitat. No reason for invasive action against seagulls.

• Haha
Reactions: Ken. and Rockycat
We've taught seagulls not to be scarred of humans or our inventions, hence why they move at theast second just about your going to mow them down with your car. As for .12ga seagulls are an protected bird so illegal to shoot them, you could shoot in the air to scare them but they'll be back in seconds after the shot. Id move because they will not

Reactions: E90RAW
Saw this video and it gave me an idea. Big eye decals on front and rear of drone because scientific studies show that seagulls are "averse to human gaze."

1582339224854.png

I think the FAA should mandate big eyes on all commercial UAVS for safety reasons.

NOTE: According to the researcher only a "very small number of urban gulls" actually participate in stealing!

Reactions: E90RAW and Rockycat
I won't surrender :)
Camouflage v1 as a quick fix with blue masking tape and red electric tape
Eyes on the top and at the back since they bomb-dive from up above or attack like eagles from the back..

If this does not work , camouflage v2, will have a light 6-foot long fiberglass kite spar across with 2 red plums on the tips to make it look bigger than a seagull :)

View attachment 93428
Get a bigger drone!!! How about alka seltzer??

I live on the coast opposite so totally understand the problem! Vermin.

I have found that flying high sometimes helps. After all they basically want food. and there isn't much of that high up. A lot of my footage of the coast has birds flying below me, so that's my tip, but I do appreciate that you sometimes want lower shots.

It's always amusing when we get visitors from London who aren't used to them how aggressive the little monsters are!

Guess we are lucky here. Our seagulls are a different breed to the Northern hemisphere ones and they take zero notice of my Mavic.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev