DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Really stupid question but I need to ask..

Porky

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hi all,

I’ve read the mavic 2 pro user manual but just need to clarify one thing. On my other dji drones I have to calibrate the compass on setup & when I’m in a different country . Do I take it that no calibration of the compass is needed as long as it says in the app “ready to go (GPS)”;)

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
In theory, you only need to calibrate the compass when the drone asks you to do so. Some pilots feel the need to do so more frequently - every startup, every major (or minor!) location change, or on some other schedule. I would probably recalibrate if I was at a location more than 50 miles from the last calibration - the reason being that's far enough to change magnetic declination somewhat.

Heya Porky! Heard ya got a new toy... nice! :cool:
I recalibrate the compass if I fly 100 miles away from the last place I calibrated. So unless I travel 100 miles from home I only calibrate it if it asks me too.

Reactions: Porky
Thanks for the reply’s guysThumbswayup
TJ, just can’t away from these flying things, see it in a store over here in Sint Maarten & had to have one. Liked how small it was & not have to worry about big boxes on “carry on” on the planes. Nice to beeeeee back:p:p

So just to clarify I will be doing my 1st flight tomorrow in Sint Maarten. I’ll only calibrate if it asks me too.

TJ, don’t know if you remember when I was here with my phantom a couple of years ago, couldn’t get the compass to calibrate:mad: for some unknown reason, hope the same thing don’t happen again....

Thanks for the reply’s guysThumbswayup
TJ, just can’t away from these flying things, see it in a store over here in Sint Maarten & had to have one. Liked how small it was & not have to worry about big boxes on “carry on” on the planes. Nice to beeeeee back:p:p

So just to clarify I will be doing my 1st flight tomorrow in Sint Maarten. I’ll only calibrate if it asks me too.

TJ, don’t know if you remember when I was here with my phantom a couple of years ago, couldn’t get the compass to calibrate:mad: for some unknown reason, hope the same thing don’t happen again....
I always do one when new. Remember, it was last done in China. Before you fly, calibrate it. ;)

Reactions: Porky
I always do one when new. Remember, it was last done in China. Before you fly, calibrate it. ;)

Will doThumbswayup 1st flight tomorrow, oh am i looking forward to it;) is it the same procedure calibrating the sensor I used on my other drones?

Take the guesswork out of it. Look at your compass status in the GO App just before you launch. I've made it a habit; it just takes takes a second. If your compass(es) are green just before takeoff then doing a compass calibration serves absolutely no purpose. Otherwise, I never recalibrate unless DJI GO 4I recommends it, which has been less than 4 times in almost 2 years. And I travel often.

My 1st flight went well, compass calibrated :D:D with no problems. Didn’t take long before I felt confident again about flying, all started coming back to me after a couple of minsThumbswayup

Just need to get used to all the icons & commands on the app again then I think I’ll be there;)

Can’t tell how many times I’ve read the manual but good reading. I think Mrs porky is getting a bit peeeeeed cos we’re meant to be on holiday:confused:

Taking my flying thingy with me today, off to another nice beach so fingers crossed I’ll be flying againThumbswayup

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErieSkyPixel