DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Really stupid question but I need to ask..

Porky

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hi all,

I’ve read the mavic 2 pro user manual but just need to clarify one thing. On my other dji drones I have to calibrate the compass on setup & when I’m in a different country . Do I take it that no calibration of the compass is needed as long as it says in the app “ready to go (GPS)”;)

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
In theory, you only need to calibrate the compass when the drone asks you to do so. Some pilots feel the need to do so more frequently - every startup, every major (or minor!) location change, or on some other schedule. I would probably recalibrate if I was at a location more than 50 miles from the last calibration - the reason being that's far enough to change magnetic declination somewhat.

Heya Porky! Heard ya got a new toy... nice! :cool:
I recalibrate the compass if I fly 100 miles away from the last place I calibrated. So unless I travel 100 miles from home I only calibrate it if it asks me too.

Reactions: Porky
Thanks for the reply’s guysThumbswayup
TJ, just can’t away from these flying things, see it in a store over here in Sint Maarten & had to have one. Liked how small it was & not have to worry about big boxes on “carry on” on the planes. Nice to beeeeee back:p:p

So just to clarify I will be doing my 1st flight tomorrow in Sint Maarten. I’ll only calibrate if it asks me too.

TJ, don’t know if you remember when I was here with my phantom a couple of years ago, couldn’t get the compass to calibrate:mad: for some unknown reason, hope the same thing don’t happen again....

Thanks for the reply’s guysThumbswayup
TJ, just can’t away from these flying things, see it in a store over here in Sint Maarten & had to have one. Liked how small it was & not have to worry about big boxes on “carry on” on the planes. Nice to beeeeee back:p:p

So just to clarify I will be doing my 1st flight tomorrow in Sint Maarten. I’ll only calibrate if it asks me too.

TJ, don’t know if you remember when I was here with my phantom a couple of years ago, couldn’t get the compass to calibrate:mad: for some unknown reason, hope the same thing don’t happen again....
I always do one when new. Remember, it was last done in China. Before you fly, calibrate it. ;)

Reactions: Porky
I always do one when new. Remember, it was last done in China. Before you fly, calibrate it. ;)

Will doThumbswayup 1st flight tomorrow, oh am i looking forward to it;) is it the same procedure calibrating the sensor I used on my other drones?

Take the guesswork out of it. Look at your compass status in the GO App just before you launch. I've made it a habit; it just takes takes a second. If your compass(es) are green just before takeoff then doing a compass calibration serves absolutely no purpose. Otherwise, I never recalibrate unless DJI GO 4I recommends it, which has been less than 4 times in almost 2 years. And I travel often.

My 1st flight went well, compass calibrated :D:D with no problems. Didn’t take long before I felt confident again about flying, all started coming back to me after a couple of minsThumbswayup

Just need to get used to all the icons & commands on the app again then I think I’ll be there;)

Can’t tell how many times I’ve read the manual but good reading. I think Mrs porky is getting a bit peeeeeed cos we’re meant to be on holiday:confused:

Taking my flying thingy with me today, off to another nice beach so fingers crossed I’ll be flying againThumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlipPak