DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Reasonable liability insurance needed in MN

Sunshine

Reactions
Minnesota will not accept Verifly insurance which is the ideal product in my opinion. Everywhere I check seems to be $800 or more. For the occasional aerial photo of a farm or home n have it framed , this cost going in after being Part 107 certified seems way out of line. Anyone know of a more fair deal for my Mavic?

Minnesota will not accept Verifly insurance which is the ideal product in my opinion. Everywhere I check seems to be $800 or more. For the occasional aerial photo of a farm or home n have it framed , this cost going in after being Part 107 certified seems way out of line. Anyone know of a more fair deal for my Mavic?

I just got some thru State Farm $60.00 a yr (believe it or not), covers crashes, replacement, etc with NO Deductable! :) Recreational use - Haven't had to use it as yet - Yea!

Reactions: frankiez
I just got some thru State Farm $60.00 a yr (believe it or not), covers crashes, replacement, etc with NO Deductable! :) Recreational use - Haven't had to use it as yet - Yea!
Yeah, that's not liability insurance.

2.5 million insurance through AMA if you fly recreation rules. I understand that you can decide at time of flight if you are flying part 107 or recreational.

Thanks for the replies... as MrPeteza says, that's not liability insurance and not for "commercial" use.
I failed to point out clearly that I would be doing this for a potential profit by charging a customer
for the aerial photos and framing or whatever. In that case you have to be part 107 Certified, which
I am, and in MN are required to carry $100,000 / 300,000 liability coverage.
CaveDrone..... I called AMA (I'm a member) and they told me NO... they do not offer coverage for
liability for commercial use but wish they did... still hoping someone has knowledge of a
reasonably low cost for my needs. If MN rules would simply be reworded, the Verifly company
method would more than satisfy the requirement .

Reactions: CaveDrone
OK, got it. State farm is for only Recreation purposes...

To be clear, I think you're still missing the point. Liability insurance means if you crash your drone and damage someone's property the insurance may pay for the damages caused by your drone. Your State Farm insurance only covers damage to your drone and does not protect you from a possible lawsuit. Liability can carry protections up to millions of dollars, you're not getting that for $60 per year.

I got 3 quotes for liability as well and they all came in at $800. I was talking to a friend that also has a aircraft pilots license and he said that he can get a policy for his plane for only $600 and he thinks that drone insurance is kind of high priced for what they are insuring. Seems like all the quotes I hear about are for $800. I think it was for 2.5 million as well.

Reactions: jdaveh
It's a brave New world! Insurance companies have no idea of the risk involved and potential liabilities. I think they're just feeling things out. $100,000+ plane with 60 gal of fuel is less risky than flying a drone? Go figure [emoji1]

To be clear, I think you're still missing the point. Liability insurance means if you crash your drone and damage someone's property the insurance may pay for the damages caused by your drone. Your State Farm insurance only covers damage to your drone and does not protect you from a possible lawsuit. Liability can carry protections up to millions of dollars, you're not getting that for $60 per year.

Yes your correct, I do understand all that. As a Recreational user, flying predominately in open fields, open areas away from people (hopefully), homes, etc. I'm really Only concerned about my drone damage/crashing for now (although, things can happen!). If I WAS using/flying my drone for Business/Commercial use - Absolutely, would want/need to get Liability Insurance! That's my stand on it...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4