DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recalibrate Compass Every Outing?

Right location has nothing to do with it. I drive cross country each summer 3000 mile trip and stop here and there to put the drone up and never had to recal comp.

The location is one of the criteria for some models. The M2, for example, by default requests calibration if it is more than 50 km from its last flight. It also requests recalibration if it is more than 30 days since the last one.

There are a few M2s that don't request based on time due to a firmware oddity that the last documented calibration is in the future. There are also a few M2 users who report being immune from the distance criterion, but I haven't seen the DAT files to back that up.

Does anybody use a pocket-compass to find North, and then align their drone and their mobile device towards North, and then verify that their drone and mobile-device are pointing towards North in the DJI Go 4 directional-indicator? I do this as a routine pre-flight check. I have found this to be very helpful in making sure that the entire system is working normally before flight.

Does anybody use a pocket-compass to find North, and then align their drone and their mobile device towards North, and then verify that their drone and mobile-device are pointing towards North in the DJI Go 4 directional-indicator? I do this as a routine pre-flight check. I have found this to be very helpful in making sure that the entire system is working normally before flight.

I use the iPhone compass to do that. Not always north - any known direction will work.

Is it normal to have to recalibrate the compass every time I go out to fly? My Mavic Air will sit idle for anywhere between a week to 3-4 weeks between outings. Every time I fire it up I have to recalibrate.
Unless you can set it somewhere other than your car or a bench . . I find havin a landing pad and extendo landing gears keeps the crazy guy spinning with a drone look to a minimal haha

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan