DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recent Mavic Pro builds improved over original

So how does a regular late build mavic outperform a MPP with presumably same or newer manufacturing date?
No one said the current Mavic Pro outperforms the platinum. I'm sure the platinum can match or better the results if you use all the battery and fly at a similar speed, around 20 mph. Most people don't fly battery down to zero like I did. Just showing that the new mavic pro is also very efficient.

Most people don't fly battery down to zero like I did

I thought thats how DJI rate the flight times thou? 0 wind and battery down to 0, which is why nobody ever gets close to the rated 27mins, yet you somehow managed to exceed this to beyond even what the MPP can achieve?
My flight times vary so much on any given day with winds im lucky to get 20mins with a 15% landing. Keen to see if your results are easily reproducible with a video on you tube documenting this with screen capture showing the telemetry.

If the ESC/motors were reserved for the MPP, the only think I can imagine them improving on the MP over time could be the processor current draw which would be quite high given all the numbers it needs to crunch. Just a hunch though.

I thought thats how DJI rate the flight times thou? 0 wind and battery down to 0, which is why nobody ever gets close to the rated 27mins, yet you somehow managed to exceed this to beyond even what the MPP can achieve?
My flight times vary so much on any given day with winds im lucky to get 20mins with a 15% landing. Keen to see if your results are easily reproducible with a video on you tube documenting this with screen capture showing the telemetry.

If the ESC/motors were reserved for the MPP, the only think I can imagine them improving on the MP over time could be the processor current draw which would be quite high given all the numbers it needs to crunch. Just a hunch though.

I run my batteries hard. Most people don't. When you get a new battery and charge the first time, it has a calibration table that is very conservative. Basically you can go fly and run to zero indicated percent, but battery voltage is still fairly high, just under 3.6V per cell. That battery is still good for a few minutes until 3.4V is reached. So you could fly on zero. When you recharge the battery, the battery statistics are updated to use more of the voltage range so that zero is really closer to just over 3.4V. I don't recommend doing this, as the battery won't last as many cycles. I have also changed flight parameters in firmware so that the normal auto landing at 11% indicated is turned off and it flies normally.

DJI gives a conservative calibration, so you can fly down close to zero and not harm your battery. I have push my zero much lower and hit 3.4V where critically low voltage auto landing is started. If you do this, make sure you enable voltage display in battery settings so you see voltage by percentage indicator. At 3.4V indicated, you need to be getting close to the ground ready to land.

Even with this over use of battery, you are unlikely to get 31 minutes on older builds. More like 27 to 28 minutes. I see a consistent 10% improvement on new builds.

Reactions: phoenix3
I run my batteries hard. Most people don't. When you get a new battery and charge the first time, it has a calibration table that is very conservative. Basically you can go fly and run to zero indicated percent, but battery voltage is still fairly high, just under 3.6V per cell. That battery is still good for a few minutes until 3.4V is reached. So you could fly on zero. When you recharge the battery, the battery statistics are updated to use more of the voltage range so that zero is really closer to just over 3.4V. I don't recommend doing this, as the battery won't last as many cycles. I have also changed flight parameters in firmware so that the normal auto landing at 11% indicated is turned off and it flies normally.

DJI gives a conservative calibration, so you can fly down close to zero and not harm your battery. I have push my zero much lower and hit 3.4V where critically low voltage auto landing is started. If you do this, make sure you enable voltage display in battery settings so you see voltage by percentage indicator. At 3.4V indicated, you need to be getting close to the ground ready to land.

Even with this over use of battery, you are unlikely to get 31 minutes on older builds. More like 27 to 28 minutes. I see a consistent 10% improvement on new builds.

How do you determine when your Mavic was built? My MPP has 8QUE in its serial number.

There's an Android app, also you can find a post on this forum that tells you how to decode the serial.

Very interesting, my newer Mavic seems to be the new version, i'm getting longer flights on it than my older one as well. Good info CyberNate.

Looks like the website was taken down which decodes the serial. Here's a link to decoding Mavic Pro Build Info - Serial Number? and the post by Logger, below.

" i " is not used

I noticed several days ago, when looking through the couple of hundred serial numbers that I have collected, that I missed an obvious one. In the same manner as O can be confused with 0, i can be confused with 1 and as a result DJI have not used " i " in any of their serial numbers either.

So anyone who previously calculated their build date to be on or after the 19th of the month amend the date back to a day earlier. There wont have been anyone so far with an indicated build date of 18th becuase "i" has never been used and therefore calculators wont have shown it.

08QDxxx ........

YEAR
D = 2016
E = 2017

MONTH
1 = January
2 = February
3 = March
4 = April
5 = May
6 = June
7 = July
8 = August
9 = September
A = October
B = November
C = December

DAY
(base36) (base10)
1 = 1
2 = 2
3 = 3
4 = 4
5 = 5
6 = 6
7 = 7
8 = 8
9 = 9
A = 10
B = 11
C = 12
D = 13
E = 14
F = 15
G = 16
H = 17
I = NOT Used as I and 1 can be confused.
J = 18
K = 19
L = 20
M = 21
N = 22
O = NOT Used as O and 0 can be confused.
P = 23
Q = 24
R = 25
S = 26
T = 27
U = 28
V = 29
W = 30
X = 31

O and I are also excluded from the last three digits of the the serial number.

Reactions: CyberNate
The serial number decoder online is now shut down. Any other ways to parse build date?

Ok, did 31.5 minute flight today flying at 20mph and took it to 500 ft altitude and over 40k distance. Stock mavic stock battery.
Shazam!

Mine also has a U rather than a D. You may be right about that.
Mine also has a U and I always thought it was just benign flying that I usually get 25 minutes from a battery without running it too low.
So what I'm hearing is that mine may be "blessed" somehow?

Mavic Pro, build on: 19. April 2017

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman