DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recomendation before first flight?

Pontoon-pilot

Reactions
Howdy from Texas.
I am new to drones but been flying RC planes and helicopters since 2000.
Looking for some guidance before first take off with my new-to-me mavic pro.
Per the seller, it is a 2016 Nov. edition, the seller said he never updated the firmware.
The phone I will be using is a galaxy note 5 android. (it is in debugging mode USB set to Media file transfer)

Concern and questions.
I am near (3-4miles) of a local small unmanned (no tower) airport with recreational air traffic. Will this cause issues if I upgrade to the new geo-fencing (2.0 version) firmware?
Do I need to do anything to the drone and remote in regards to transferring from the previous owner?
Can I reset the drone+remote to factory setting in case the prev owner customized setting to his liking?
Anything else I should be aware of?
thank you

...The phone I will be using is a galaxy note 5 android. (it is in debugging mode USB set to Media file transfer)

Concern and questions.
I am near (3-4miles) of a local small unmanned (no tower) airport with recreational air traffic. Will this cause issues if I upgrade to the new geo-fencing (2.0 version) firmware?
Do I need to do anything to the drone and remote in regards to transferring from the previous owner?
Can I reset the drone+remote to factory setting in case the prev owner customized setting to his liking?
Anything else I should be aware of?
thank you
• You will find out pretty quick if your phone will work. Use a good quality USB data cable to connect to the RC (disconnect the short cable from the side of the RC).
• You may have NFZ problems with the current version. It would be best go fly further away from the airport.
• Don't know about resetting to factory but I would fly it first. I would think there have been improvements since the original so it may be set up better than original factory settings. Do not update any software\firmware without first trying your phone. It is possible that an update will require capabilities that your phone cannot provide.
• Your RC flying experience should already give you situational awareness knowledge, but you will find that the MP is much easier to fly. Watch crash videos to learn from the mistakes of others. This video is also good for starters:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Pontoon-pilot
Welcome to the forum ...
Have a look at your manual, and at YouTube vid's regarding 'Return to Home' [RTH] ... this is something quite different from your previous RC Flying in that it provides an 'auto-pilot' than can help you out ... If you do a precision take-off, understand how RTH works, and update the settings in Go 4 - you'll find that it is a good 'get out of jail free card' if things go wrong.
The other button to get familiar with is 'Pause' ... again, RTC Planes don't have this and it is great to just be able to press this button and have the drone stop & hover, so you can sort yourself out and try the manoeuvre again.

Thank you.
If I am downloading the dji app for the first time, will it force me to update the drone's firmware?

Last edited:
Thank you.
If I am downloading the dji app for the first time, will it force me to update the drone's firmware?
Chances are it will yes - but that's nothing to be afraid of. Mavic Pro firmware is well established and well proven. Just make sure you have the latest version of DJI Go 4 (not DJI Go !), installed on your mobile device, and that your mobile device, RC controller and Mavic have fully charged batteries - then just start up your devices (Mobile/Go 4 - RC Controller - Mavic - in that order). Go 4 will advise you if you have firmware updates to load. Follow the prompts & let it do its thing while you go off and enjoy a coffee ...

I used a Note 5 until earlier this year when I upgraded to the Note 8. The only thing to be aware of is the controller will charge the phone when using either the micro-USB on the side of the controller or the USB connection on the back side of the controller.

If I made sure the phone was fully charged I was still able to fly 3 batteries back to back to back.
Cheers

Thank you.
It might advise that an update is available but it won't force you to do anything.
The people that believe updates are forced are the people that have their phones or tablets set to auto update.

If it's a non-towered airfield, the geo-fence shouldn't stop you. You may get a warning box up telling you it's there and to fly with caution, so you should be OK upgrading.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velmapeterson