DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommend a Video editing software

Maxfly27

Reactions
I have a Macbook Pro and iMovie is unusable due to the choppyness. Which editing software would you recommend? TIA.

Edit: I have now tried Filmora 9 and same issue but only with handling 4K video. When editing 1080p it works fine. I’m wondering if only having 8gb of RAM on my MacBook is the issue. Has anyone encountered this? I’d like to avoid buying a new computer if possible but I will If that is what is required.

Last edited:
Reactions: MIGUELVM360
I use iMovie on an first gen iPad Pro 12.9 with absolutely no issues. Renders 4K video at 4X. How old is your computer?

Reactions: NAZty
I have a Macbook Pro and iMovie is unusable due to the choppyness. Which editing software would you recommend? TIA.
This subject probably elicits more posts than any other! I believe if you do a search of this forum's archives, you will find tons of opinions. I know because I have been in on them. Not everyone uses Adobe Premiere Pro but if you can afford it, then you have one of the video editors out there. The next hurdle is the steep learning curve to use Premiere Pro. There are free versions of other software mentioned in the forum. See the attachment below. Go to FORUMS>Editing and Techniques

Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 9.00.55 AM.png

I use Davinci Resolve 16.2 Free version. Available for Mac and Windows. It is a complete production package. If installing on Windows disable anti virus until finished installing. Great and powerful package BlackMagicDesign.com they make amazing cine cameras too.

Reactions: jagraphics
Premier Pro. Plenty of discussion s on good editing software.

Decent link of curated info from the forums. Select your model at the top.

I use Final Cut Pro and installed plugins for reducing noise (Neat Video) and adjusting color (Film Poets LUTs). You would be helped by installing more RAM, and if your computer is old then an upgrade will increase processing speed.

Edit: I have now tried Filmora 9 and same issue but only with handling 4K video. When editing 1080p it works fine. I’m wondering if only having 8gb of RAM on my MacBook is the issue. Has anyone encountered this? I’d like to avoid buying a new computer if possible but I will If that is what is required.
Davinci Resolve

This sounds more like you are describing an issue with your computer than any particular application. Regardless, it's going to be very difficult for us to adequately assist you with out a little more info. For example, telling us you "...have a Macbook Pro..." does little to narrow down what you are using, given that MacBook Pros have been made since 2006. :)

What model? What are the specs?

Thanks!

Reactions: jagraphics
I get my Mavic Air 2 today!

That said I work with H.265 videos with GoPro and this sounds like the issues I had with my computer, no software helped a lot of research and I found out it was my processor, that codec does not like a lot of processors, I don't know much about MACBOOK, but GoPro recommends:

HEVC is supported on macOS High Sierra computers using the A10 processor and newer

macOS High Sierra computers supporting HEVC
  • Macbook® – 2016 or newer
  • Macbook Pro – 2016 or newer
  • iMac – 2017 and newer
  • iMac Pro – 2017 or newer
  • 27-inch 5K iMac (2015-2017)
I realize this isn't GoPro but that is my experience and DJI uses H.265 as well. Try setting your codecs to H.264 if you can and see if you have issues, there are also converters that change your HEVC to H.264, but you lose so much data in the transfer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661