DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommendation for a beginner

I'm interested in a drone as a hobby and possibly more after experience. I've done some research and would like to buy a Mavic 2 Pro, but would like to learn more.
Can anyone recommend a good way for a beginner to get started? A local group, forum, chat for example?

Why not go for the mavic 2 ... any DJI drone. Is a good beginner. At least you won’t be upgrading for a while. What really helped me out. Was watching you tube videos. Such as captain drone. And ready set drone. Good luck and stay tuned.

Welcome to the forum From Chicago the Windy City.
I joined a National drone school, to learn FAA rules and regulations
Did not know anything about drones, the school helped me understand basic principles about drones and how they work. Learn at your own pace, additional features, include quizzes that help you confirm your learning. After practicing at home , you will have earned a certificate of completion. Audio /Video included, so not necessary to find utube videos.I bought the course on groupon for $10.00. Some schools ask $200.00, not fancy, but I got what I needed out of the course..

my grandkids wouldn’t let me try their little toy drone “because I might crash it”. So I got an M2P eighteen months ago and never looked back. Much more forgiving than their toy, with all the technology. I make them beg me to take the controls.

Welcome to the forum From Chicago the Windy City.
I joined a National drone school, to learn FAA rules and regulations
Did not know anything about drones, the school helped me understand basic principles about drones and how they work. Learn at your own pace, additional features, include quizzes that help you confirm your learning. After practicing at home , you will have earned a certificate of completion. Audio /Video included, so not necessary to find utube videos.I bought the course on groupon for $10.00. Some schools ask $200.00, not fancy, but I got what I needed out of the course..
Thanks - can you send info on the National drone school you joined?

I'm interested in a drone as a hobby and possibly more after experience. I've done some research and would like to buy a Mavic 2 Pro, but would like to learn more.
Can anyone recommend a good way for a beginner to get started? A local group, forum, chat for example?
I have and started with an M2P (not zoom) so I can give you first hand advice. First get the M2P with the Hasselblad not the zoom. It is a great camera and will give you the best video. You can always zoom in in post if necessary or just fly closer to the subject. After carefully reading all the information about the setup I was flying my M2P 10 minutes after first launch. Put it in tripod mode (switch on the right side of the controller) at first so it controls your speed. The M2P has crash sensors all around so it is hard to crash. Set the RTH (return to home) setting above the highest obstacle where you will be flying. Mine is at 100 ft (30 meters) to be safe. If you run into trouble just push the RTH button on the controller (or on the screen) and your drone will come back to where it took off from. Use you sticks slowly at first to get the feel. The M2P will always fly flat and not flip so it is actually easy to fly once you get the feel. Take it to an open area at first to avoid obstacles. Fly pretty low (20 -30 ft) at first. To land manually just ease down on the left stick until touchdown then move the stick all the way down until rotors stop. I use the Litchi APP exclusively now mainly because you can program missions without powering up the drone, a big battery saver. Learn some programs like Orbit at first then Waypoints which allows you to program a path for a mission. When programming pay particular attention to the altitudes of each waypoint. I use an Ipad Mini 5 with 4G for the display as it's big enough to see and shows Google Maps (which will become important when you program missions). I also use an Apple Pencil to program the waypoints etc. since the icons are very small. If you want any more info including attachments and programming email me at [email protected] and I'd be happy to help. You will love the M2P and the videos are beautiful. I can also give you info for the FAA 107 commercial license if you ever decide to go that way. BTW you might want to get the "flymore kit" since you will need a lot of the stuff they offer. 3 batteries, multiple charger, car charger, extra propellers, etc. Have Fun!

Reactions: SpitFire
Welcome to the world of drones.

I started with Mavic Pro Platinum. Here are some hints:

1. If your selected drone has a learner mode, start there. It was the default on my MP. It limits range and speed.

2. Do not take of until you have multiple satellites and the position confirmed. Check the map. Then ascend to 15-20 ft and assess that the drone is flying ok and the map is still ok. NEVER fly in ATTI mode. You WILL crash as a learner.

3. First flights in a large field and don't fly too high too low or near anything at all. Try to manually fly circles, squares and importantly figures of eight, including figures of eight away from yourself. Flying towards yourself controls are reversed and at some point you will need to fly close to objects and don't want to go the wrong way.

4. If in doubt fingers off controls. It will stop dead. If in doubt stop as described and then slowly rotate, first with the camera horizontal and then 45 degrees down for another circle. Check the map to ensure you know where you are relative to objects and what direction you are pointed.

5. Land with 10-20% of batteries left. You need reserves and they last longer.

6. If windy explore up wind so you have a safe return.

7. If you must explore downwind then ensure you have plenty of battery reserve to get home.

8. If unexpectedly caught by wind use sports mode to fight you way home and try changing altitude, but otherwise don't touch sports mode and go back to normal mode before landing.

9. On early flights ascend and the fly away with the drone facing away from you so controls are natural. Perhaps first landings also hover and rotate the drone so it is facing away from you and controls are natural. You will eventually learn to fly the backwards without thinking.

10. Play around flying slowly (gentle inputs) at close quarters. You will get more finesse.

11. Always manually check the return to home RTH altitude before taking off. Ensure it is above any objects. But don't go for the ceiling the whole time as on an auto return the drone will waste batteries climbing to the RTH altitude and winds can be stronger up there.

12. Try not to piss people off. Some people don't like cameras and others just think drones are annoying. Some just don't like anything. Others will be interested and it can be fun to share how clever your DJI is.

Enjoy and ask more here!

Reactions: SpitFire
I learned on a Tello with the game controller. After 5 flights I bought the M2P

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661