DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommended Filters?

Martysticks

Reactions
I'm thinking of ordering filters for my new (yet to arrive) Mavic 2 Zoom. I have a set (ND4, ND8, ND16) of PolarPro for my Mavic Pro Platinum and have been happy with them; they were recommended by my brother in law so I never really shopped around.

Now I'm on my own, and I would like to get a set for the new zoom. I see lots of manufactures (PolarPro, Skyreat, Freewell, Neewer, etc.). The list goes on. Most have very different prices, but all seem to have decent reviews. This one caught my eye:

Freewell Budget Kit - 6Pack FW-M2Z-ESS ND4, ND8, ND16, CPL, ND32/PL, ND64/PL Filters Compatible with DJI Mavic 2 Zoom

Any suggestions?

Hi,

I’ve ordered some DJI nd filters. Still waiting for them to arrive. I keep reading good things about polar pro but I saw a comparison of polar pro and DJI nd filters on YouTube and that made me go for DJI. On the video comparison it looked like the polar pro filters changed the colour temp.... I hope this helps

Nick

Last edited:
Hi,

I’ve ordered some DJI nd filters. Still waiting for them to arrive. I keep reading good things about polar pro but I saw a comparison of polar pro and DJI nd filters on YouTube and that made me go for DJI. On the video comparison it looked like the polar pro filters changed the colour temp.... I hope this helps

Nick

The difference there in that video is the Polar Pro filter is a PL too.
That will change a shots look quite dramatically (increased degree of polarisation), as they can change the photo in a negative way if adjusted too much.

For that reason, I'm not a big fan of ND/PL, preferring plain ND.
It's just too painful with a drone to bring back a drone to adjust a PL for another direction, if you want it to work as it's designed (reduce glare, more vivid colours, better contrast, reduced haze).

PLs are all great on a hand held camera where you can turn it as you wish in seconds.

I do have a C-PL, and use that occasionally flying over water, you strike it lucky on some angles to sun, and get nice reduced glare.
They do usually reduce f-stop around 1-1/2 steps too, so good for lower light filming, sunset colours etc.

Got to agree MAvic_South_Oz Polarising filters are a different thing altogether & can be used to great effect when using a stills camera but on a moving drone not so useful unless you don't pan the shot.
Polarising effects the lighting (not a good explanation I know) by making it come from one direction that can cut out glare, make the sky look more vibrant.
Neutral density filters only cut down the amount of light and shouldn’t make any difference to colours, that's why they are called Neutral. ;)

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
The difference there in that video is the Polar Pro filter is a PL too.
That will change a shots look quite dramatically (increased degree of polarisation), as they can change the photo in a negative way if adjusted too much.

For that reason, I'm not a big fan of ND/PL, preferring plain ND.
It's just too painful with a drone to bring back a drone to adjust a PL for another direction, if you want it to work as it's designed (reduce glare, more vivid colours, better contrast, reduced haze).

PLs are all great on a hand held camera where you can turn it as you wish in seconds.

I do have a C-PL, and use that occasionally flying over water, you strike it lucky on some angles to sun, and get nice reduced glare.
They do usually reduce f-stop around 1-1/2 steps too, so good for lower light filming, sunset colours etc.
I bought a set of Freewell ND/Pl filters by accident for my M2Z. Like you say they are just too fiddly to use. I have tried to adjust them via the tablet before flying but with little success so I don’t use them at all now.

Freewell filters were not heavy enough, I experienced malfunction.
Original than worked well.
See my recent post.

I'm thinking of ordering filters for my new (yet to arrive) Mavic 2 Zoom. I have a set (ND4, ND8, ND16) of PolarPro for my Mavic Pro Platinum and have been happy with them; they were recommended by my brother in law so I never really shopped around.

Now I'm on my own, and I would like to get a set for the new zoom. I see lots of manufactures (PolarPro, Skyreat, Freewell, Neewer, etc.). The list goes on. Most have very different prices, but all seem to have decent reviews. This one caught my eye:

Freewell Budget Kit - 6Pack FW-M2Z-ESS ND4, ND8, ND16, CPL, ND32/PL, ND64/PL Filters Compatible with DJI Mavic 2 Zoom

Any suggestions?
I you want the best this is it hands down:
Lifetime warranty super quality.

I have a set of various Skyreat filters and they work excellent. No blemishes, no issues.
Skyreat Filters M2Z

I bought a set of Freewell filters too and have no problems. They fit perfect and all test I've read were positive. Haven't used the PL until now, just the ND.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr