DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommended Multi-Battery and Smart Controller Charger

BenjaminNYC

Reactions
Hello! I'd like to buy a single device to charge all my batteries (current 3) and my Smart Controller. Ideally, it could use a home socket or a car outlet. I came across this product:

It seems to suit my above needs. Does anyone have experience with this product? Alternates? Lastly, is there an OEM product of this nature?

Thanks!
-B.
DJI sells there own unit but it only charges one battery at a time, starting with the fullest and following with next most charged. ( I see while I was posting, you mentioned the DJI unit)

There are so many of these 3rd party units that it is hard to just to select one. Many actually seem to be the same unit in a different cover!

But I believe one piece of advice in the notes for the one you posted might not be correct. They suggest draining a battery completely. I THINK that is not really a recommended procedure - please, anyone else out there correct me if I'm wrong.

Most here also suggest that you monitor the charging process for any of these batteries.

And to conclude, I'm definitely not an expert.

OK thanks. I think I'm going to buy the OEM product I linked above. It's a little more expensive, but I'm guessing OEM is a safer choice. Also, there seems to have a slot for it in my Ultimaxx backpack.

Hello! I'd like to buy a single device to charge all my batteries (current 3) and my Smart Controller. Ideally, it could use a home socket or a car outlet. I came across this product:

It seems to suit my above needs. Does anyone have experience with this product? Alternates? Lastly, is there an OEM product of this nature?

Thanks!
-B.
I have the same thing from before Hanatora took it over as a brand. Works excellent over the last 8-9 months. Takes a bit longer than advertised, but will charge the controller and 4 batteries in about 90-100 min when connected to 120V AC. In the car it takes longer.

I have the same thing from before Hanatora took it over as a brand. Works excellent over the last 8-9 months. Takes a bit longer than advertised, but will charge the controller and 4 batteries in about 90-100 min when connected to 120V AC. In the car it takes longer.

It does not take longer in a car if you use a 13.8v step up transformer between the car battery and DJI cigarette lighter plug charger. These transformers keep the voltage at 13.8v - wether the car is running or not, thus the charger gets full power:

DC-DC Boost Module 9-14V to 13.8V... Amazon.com: DC-DC Boost Module 9-14V to 13.8V 10A 138Wmax Power Supply Converter: Home Audio & Theater

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
Thanks. I went with the OEM product linked, however. It doesn't has as many features, but it should fit in my backpack.

Hi all,
This seems like a great product " https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07Y9V4GTR/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_O3p9DbH3J2KHS? "
be nice to be able to charge multiple battery's at the same time.
Never heard of this before " Amazon.com: DC-DC Boost Module 9-14V to 13.8V 10A 138Wmax Power Supply Converter: Home Audio & Theater " but seems quite handy, I didn't
see any installation instructions included in description. How difficult is it to install in a vehicle ? Does it go engine side or cab side ?
Love all the info you can get on these forums, thanks all

Reactions: ff22
Hi all,
This seems like a great product " https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07Y9V4GTR/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_O3p9DbH3J2KHS? "
be nice to be able to charge multiple battery's at the same time.
Never heard of this before " Amazon.com: DC-DC Boost Module 9-14V to 13.8V 10A 138Wmax Power Supply Converter: Home Audio & Theater " but seems quite handy, I didn't
see any installation instructions included in description. How difficult is it to install in a vehicle ? Does it go engine side or cab side ?
Love all the info you can get on these forums, thanks all

The step up transformer goes between your car battery and whatever you are powering with it. For full-time power (while driving and parking) it could be fitted with a set of alligator clips to power it directly from the car battery, or hard wired directly to the battery for the same (put a switch on it if you are hard wiring it to the battery). For part-time power while driving or when parked with the accessory mode turned on in the car, put a male cigarette lighter plug on it.

For the output on the transformer, just put a female cigarette lighter plug on it and then you can use it with the DJI car charging unit or others like it. You can even use this to power electric refrigerators and other car accessories.

Note that a single battery alone takes about 6A (or 72W if you base it on 12v). Therefore if you're using a third party parallel charger, one's cigarette lighter might not handle the current/watts for more than one or two batteries.

Reactions: AMann

Thanks!
-B.
you can get the identical result with the original which is certainly better than others, because it was designed and built by those who designed and built the rest of the drone radio control and batteries. it is just a commercial issue because they have added completely useless gagets, like the display with the voltage reading but they have no use since they are not normal batteries but smart batteries in fact the batteries communicate with the battery charger controlling temperature voltage and much more you need a gaget not even knowing if they use the sensors inside the batteries, so in my opinion they only serve to tap money bye.

Note that a single battery alone takes about 6A (or 72W if you base it on 12v). Therefore if you're using a third party parallel charger, one's cigarette lighter might not handle the current/watts for more than one or two batteries.
^^*this!

You're the few that prefer serial charging.
The 3rd party ones that plug into the power socket probably won't do more than 2 at a time for reason I mentioned. However you'll want to check your vehicle's specs to be sure your power socket can handle the power/current draw.

You'll also need the car running. This is even true for the OEM car charger, as it's cut off voltage is a bit higher and car wiring tends to drop the voltage enough to cut off when it draws 6A. If you use a booster to prevent this problem, you could run the risk of running your car battery down where it won't start.

Some of the fancy AC chargers will let you charge/discharge to storage voltage.

I have a 3rd party charger like the OP's picture but under another company's name. It charges my 4 batteries at the same time rather than sequentially like DJI's (OEM) charger. It also charges/discharges to storage voltage.

On a side note, I found the DJI charger's USB port could not charge the SC properly....I had to use the dedicated wall plug that came with the SC.

The 3rd party ones that plug into the power socket probably won't do more than 2 at a time for reason I mentioned. However you'll want to check your vehicle's specs to be sure your power socket can handle the power/current draw.

You'll also need the car running. This is even true for the OEM car charger, as it's cut off voltage is a bit higher and car wiring tends to drop the voltage enough to cut off when it draws 6A. If you use a booster to prevent this problem, you could run the risk of running your car battery down where it won't start.

That step up transformer I posted earlier lets you get 13.8v even when parked. One does have to watch system voltage with those if they only have one battery. My truck has a dual battery setup, plus I also put in a third portable one in back that self-charges off the backup battery or solar panels when we are camping.

Reactions: Thomas B
in fact the original charges one battery at a time so as to have enough power to do its job. So you agree with me that they are useless gags?
I use one for charging- it allows me to not worry about it while doing other stuff. I do take safety precautions with it as with all chargers too.

I have been using the Hanatora aftermarket unit above. Its been the the best investment yet.
It will charge all 4 of my batteries at once, then when I return from my outing, even if I only flew 3 batteties and have 1 still full, I put all 4 on storage mode, the 3 dead batteries come up to 50% and the 1 full battery discharges to 50% , then they all shut off..Brilliant time saver....

Reactions: ff22 and Thomas B
Thanks. I went with the OEM product linked, however. It doesn't has as many features, but it should fit in my backpack.
I have the standard OEM charger and charge 3 batteries regularly. As stated earlier, it charges then sequentially and takes about an hour or so per battery. I have using it for about a year with no problems. I do depend on each batteries capability to self discharge if I am not going to fly for a while. You can set the number of days before it starts the self discharge in the Go4 app.

I have the standard OEM charger and charge 3 batteries regularly. As stated earlier, it charges then sequentially and takes about an hour or so per battery. I have using it for about a year with no problems. I do depend on each batteries capability to self discharge if I am not going to fly for a while. You can set the number of days before it starts the self discharge in the Go4 app.

One thing to look out for is not keeping the batteries in a case or pack while they’re discharging, they heat up quite a bit if they’re insulated a lot. I discharge them to 50% by charging up my iPad and phones with them using the little USB adapter.

Reactions: Camino Ken

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin