DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommended Places To Fly - London & Surrounding Areas

mertozkan

Reactions
Hi fellow drone enthusiasts.

I live in London where flying my drone around is quite limited as there is a helipad (Royal London Hospital), City Airport and lots of places restricted due to security, like the Olympic village. It’s quite frustrating since it would be so nice to capture some night footage of these areas, with the exception of city airport, in places like the dock lands.

Are there anyone here from London know of good locations to fly drones?

I have a Mavic Pro Platinum edition and considering upgrading to the Mavic 2 Pro soon. Would you say it’s worth the upgrade?

Thank you in advance.

I live in London where flying my drone around is quite limited as there is a helipad (Royal London Hospital), City Airport and lots of places restricted due to security, like the Olympic village. It’s quite frustrating since it would be so nice to capture some night footage of these areas, with the exception of city airport, in places like the dock lands.

I have a Mavic Pro Platinum edition and considering upgrading to the Mavic 2 Pro soon. Would you say it’s worth the upgrade?

Thank you in advance.

Hi, when you get any info, pls let me know. I did not find any spot in London to fly without complaining people or against the law.
Thanks

Thank you in advance.
I have the same problem, I'm from East London, yesterday I bought my drone but I don't know where to fly! :oops:

Thank you in advance.
Hi mate.I have the same problem with my drone.I just bought Mavic pro but don’t know where I can fly my drone???? So many restrict areas Please let me know if you find any area where is no problem to use our drones .Thx

I just bought Mavic pro but don’t know where I can fly my drone???? So many restrict areas Please let me know if you find any area where is no problem to use our drones
Was exactly my same problem, I solved by flying the first time with no problem at Richmond Park Flying Field is a specific area where is allowed to fly with a drone.
Be careful because is also an area where there a lot of people with kids. I suggest you to avoid during the week end, otherwise often will come curious to ask you a lot of questions about drone.
Enjoy your fly!

I’ve done a few flying sessions in Wanstead Flats, Leyton Flats near whips cross, Victoria park and my neighbourhood didn’t get any problems, although I now realise probably not a good idea to fly over my neighbourhood even if it is above 50m. I tried to fly at coalhouse fort but was told not allowed although as long as I don’t take off or land in their land and keep above 50m should be fine.

Still looking at other places. Perhaps might go over to Epping and Chingford see how that goes.

Yep the Richmond Park flying field is a good place to go - good views from there, but take a spotter with you to fend off all the interested passers-by !
Also check out Ealing Common, the only other one of the main parks where drones are allowed.

I’ve done a few flying sessions in Wanstead Flats, Leyton Flats near whips cross, Victoria park and my neighbourhood didn’t get any problems, although I now realise probably not a good idea to fly over my neighbourhood even if it is above 50m. I tried to fly at coalhouse fort but was told not allowed although as long as I don’t take off or land in their land and keep above 50m should be fine.

Still looking at other places. Perhaps might go over to Epping and Chingford see how that goes.

It’s 150m from a built up area with no overflying (simply because the altitude limit is 120m so you can’t keep 150m distance). Not saying I necessarily keep to that but it’s worth at least starting off on the correct footing.

To the op. Ignore what the DJI map tells you as a lot of that is precautionary. This is the NATS map of London (the NATS Drone Assist app is very good).

Anything red is controlled airspace and you’ll have the potential to get in to real **** if you fly in it. The outer NW or SW fringes seem to give the best options. B9931782-8689-4F8B-9D73-F78513B4C414.png

@dannybgoode thank you for correcting me on that 150m. I haven’t flown like that since as I am now better clued up and have been using the NATS app.

To be fair even my copper friend who flies got it the wrong way round the other night :). London looks an annoying place to try and fly legally although I’m sure there’s plenty of cheeky flights you can do so long as you’re sensible.

MI5 building or Buckingham Palace [emoji3]
Would be interesting to see how close you can get to them kinda places....especially in today's fecked up national security

MI5 building or Buckingham Palace [emoji3]
Would be interesting to see how close you can get to them kinda places....especially in today's fecked up national security

If you try can you make sure you’re filming yourself and post the results. To be honest you’d probably be fine at Century House. It would be much more fun to fly up to the 14th floor of the building near TCH Road when Mossad have their UK HQ :).

Buck Pal would end badly for you I think as would a flight down Downing Street.

If you try can you make sure you’re filming yourself and post the results. To be honest you’d probably be fine at Century House. It would be much more fun to fly up to the 14th floor of the building near TCH Road when Mossad have their UK HQ :).

Buck Pal would end badly for you I think as would a flight down Downing Street.
Lol Danny you're too good [emoji3]

Hi guys, as a new droner with a mavic air, i am trying to fly safe. I have flown a few times in North London. Arnos Park and Trent Park were parks that i used to fly. Tried to be there early to avoid a lot of people. So i think regarding the app that the north london is ok to fly with caution.

I found that Wanstead Flats and Victoria Park were in the LCY fly zone - I didn't really have a problem with Hollow ponds opposite Whipps Cross - I live out by Romford and there is a very large field in Dagham Park (but it can be full of dog walkers) which is a good place to fly.

The secret I found is look for the quietest spot to launch. Also 10 minutes of filming and change location. The less conspicuous you are the better.

The secret I found is look for the quietest spot to launch. Also 10 minutes of filming and change location. The less conspicuous you are the better.
Flying a DJI Mini 2 which gets around the CAA regulations to flying in downtown London.
Getting a NSF provisional approval is straight forward.
My issue is finding a suitable place to take off from.

Most councils or parks want an application to film (even if recreational) Hyde Park ask for £1000+VAT which is absurd for recreational flight. I understand for a professional film but for hobbyist this shouldn't be.

Any ideas for suitable take off points would be much appreciated. I plan on making a YouTube video on this topic to help the drone community.

I fly Downtown Toronto regularly and don't have issues like this.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut