DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recording Video Mavic Pro

Lone Droner 10

Reactions
One of the places we want to take the Mavic does not have cell service or it is very, very weak. Can the Mavic record video using just the controller? If so, are there any specific settings that need to be adjusted. Is there any other option other than the DJI Go 4 app for use to record or take stills?

Why would you need cell service? You can even put your phone in flight mode and still use it with the Mavic.

Well, that was sort of my thinking however the DJI Go 4 app would not connect or connect for a sec and then disconnect. Is there something I am not doing correctly? Would appreciate your help

Well, that was sort of my thinking however the DJI Go 4 app would not connect or connect for a sec and then disconnect. Is there something I am not doing correctly? Would appreciate your help

What phone? Try using another USB cable from the bottom socket on the controller (make sure to UNPLUG the small cable on the left side, leaving this in may cause the other cable not to work properly. ) Close all other apps before connecting.

I do not understand completely - I am using a iPhone 6S and connect it directly to the controller. Are you suggesting that the cable is bad and I should try another? Confused, because the app works fine otherwise.

I do not understand completely - I am using a iPhone 6S and connect it directly to the controller. Are you suggesting that the cable is bad and I should try another? Confused, because the app works fine otherwise.

That's my point, yes. If you still get disconnected it's at least not the thin cable on the left side. Or are you saying that your phone disconnects while you're in bad cell coverage..? I always turn on Flight mode before take off after loading maps etc, I don't want notifications on my screen while flying.

I connect my phone; turn on the Mavic; turn on the controller and go to the DJI Go 4 app. Flight status says "ready GPS mode" and get video on my phone screen. Take off and after a few seconds, the app says "disconnected" but, as you know, you can continue to fly but I thought because the cell service is so bad and the app disconnects, nothing works but the controller for flying. And then, as you know, using just the controller dramatically limits you height and distance to pretty much, line of sight. So, with that said, am I still missing something?

I connect my phone; turn on the Mavic; turn on the controller and go to the DJI Go 4 app. Flight status says "ready GPS mode" and get video on my phone screen. Take off and after a few seconds, the app says "disconnected" but, as you know, you can continue to fly but I thought because the cell service is so bad and the app disconnects, nothing works but the controller for flying. And then, as you know, using just the controller dramatically limits you height and distance to pretty much, line of sight. So, with that said, am I still missing something?

That sounds like a dodgy cable to me. The one that comes with it is awful, mine was broken out of the box!

The cable is fine - I used it later in the day in another area where cell phone signal was stronger. When I started this thread, my question was "can you record video using only the controller and no IOS or Android app". Anyone out there know the answer to that? Would appreciate your additional thoughts.

The cable is fine - I used it later in the day in another area where cell phone signal was stronger. When I started this thread, my question was "can you record video using only the controller and no IOS or Android app". Anyone out there know the answer to that? Would appreciate your additional thoughts.
My phone's battery died today while flying- I was able to take pictures and return to landing point without any issues, meanwhile phone just took it's time starting up, 0 issues overall.

It is the cable! I had same issues. use the CENTER USB connector and not the side one on the controller. Get a GOOD right angle connector for the Phone/Ipad, or whatever. It makes life better. I have a gigantic Ipad with a PGYTech adaptor to make it fit, but the Ipad Mini fits without that. Buy a good, short right angle USB connector so you don't keep hitting it, and you will be all set.
And YES, unplug the stock cable on the left side, or nothing works. throw it away.

Last edited:
Reactions: WizDrone and Drone

Your cell signal does not matter unless you are streaming live. your cell signal is NOT the issue. See below

Yes, you can use the record button on the controller and the footage will still be recorded to the SD card on the Mavic. The information on the remote controller screen will confirm when you're recording.

Last edited:
You can record video using the video button at your controller, and the video will be stored in your sd card, but you can't get precision target you want to shoot. My suggestion is try to use different USB-to-Lighting cable if you"re using ipad or iphone

There is no relation at all between cell service and how the aircraft works.
If anything put the phone in flight mode. There's a remote possibility that with bad service the phone tries so hard to contact a tower that it disturbs the communication between aircraft and RC, so might as well disable communications completely since it's not needed anyway.

Reactions: jtatuhey
Yes, you are missing something. You keep suggesting that problems relate to bad cell service but this is not required to operate the Mavic/DJI Go 4. I use a phone (Nexus 5) with no sim card installed. Once you have logged into the app at some point, you don't even need WiFi enabled.

Not tried it myself, but given that the Mavic records video and photos directly to its Sim card and that you can take videos and photos directly from buttons on the remote, the answer has to be yes. As to specific settings, I guess the Mavic uses either it's default settings or whatever you've changed via the app.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569