DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recreational flyer night lights

Can you cite a reference for this? I have not found anything that says recreational flights/pilots do not need a 3SM strobe at night.
Did you find anything that says they do?

Unless the regs say they do, then it's not required. I had this conversation with Vic before where he pointed out the language is just anti-collision light, which could be even tho cheap Amazon strobes as specifications of said lights are not defined. It's only mentioned for part 107 that your lights need to be visible for 3sm, not for recreational, tho it's a good idea either way, just not required for rec flyers.

Can you cite a reference for this? I have not found anything that says recreational flights/pilots do not need a 3SM strobe at night.
Rules aren't written in a way that says you don't have to have 3SM strobes, they are written in a manner that says when you do need to have them.

49 USC 44809 (https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml...lim-title49-section44809&num=0&edition=prelim) is the set of rules for recreational flyers. Nowhere in that set of 8 exceptions is there any mention of 3SM strobes for night flights.

When CBO safety rules come out, there may be mention of it, so if you're flying under the CBO's safety code at night, you'll need them.

But the FAA does not require them at the moment.

They're still a good idea, but not required.

Straight from the FAA website.

What are the Rules for Recreational Flyers?​

The Exception for Limited Recreational Operations of Unmanned Aircraft (USC 44809) is the law that describes how, when, and where you can fly drones for recreational purposes. Following these rules helps keep people, your drone and our airspace safe:

1. Fly only for recreational purposes (personal enjoyment).
  2. Follow the safety guidelines of an FAA-recognized Community Based Organization (CBO).
    For more information on how to become an FAA-recognized CBO, read Advisory Circular 91-57C.
  3. Keep your drone within the visual line of sight or use a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you.
  4. Give way to and do not interfere with other aircraft.
  5. Fly at or below FAA-authorized altitudes in controlled airspace (Class B, C, D, and surface Class E designated for an airport) only with prior FAA authorization by using LAANC or DroneZone.
  6. Fly at or below 400 feet in Class G (uncontrolled) airspace.
    Note: Flying drones in restricted airspace is not allowed. Drone pilots should always check for airspace restrictions prior to flight on our B4UFLY app or the UAS Facility Maps webpage.
  7. Take The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST) and carry proof of test passage when flying.
  8. Have a current FAA registration, mark (PDF) your drones on the outside with the registration number, and carry proof of registration with you when flying.
    Note: Beginning September 16, 2023, if your drone requires an FAA registration number it will be also required to broadcast Remote ID information.
  9. Do not operate your drone in a manner that endangers the safety of the national airspace system.

I'm still pretty new to drone operations.
I guess it was not clear to me that recreational operations occur largely outside the requirements of Part 107. Reading 107, it did not seem to make distinctions between recreational and non recreational for many things with language like "all drones must..." or "no person shall..."
The recreational arena still has some of the general requirements such as max 400 ft AGL etc.
I took the TRUST certificate and I realize now they made no reference to night flying at all.

Still much to learn. I think I should just take the Part 107 cert with will open up a few more areas to potentially fly.
I am flying for personal photography (nothing commercial or for sale), but it wouldn't hurt to have the extra possibilities for the future.

Reactions: FireAnt
I'm still pretty new to drone operations.
I guess it was not clear to me that recreational operations occur largely outside the requirements of Part 107. Reading 107, it did not seem to make distinctions between recreational and non recreational for many things with language like "all drones must..." or "no person shall..."
The recreational arena still has some of the general requirements such as max 400 ft AGL etc.
I took the TRUST certificate and I realize now they made no reference to night flying at all.

Still much to learn. I think I should just take the Part 107 cert with will open up a few more areas to potentially fly.
I am flying for personal photography (nothing commercial or for sale), but it wouldn't hurt to have the extra possibilities for the future.
I totally agree with you on the separation of the two. I from the very beginning of the Trust test have always said it was a joke. Here in Canada we have Basic and Advance. The Basic is more geared to the Rec flyer but you do need to know a heck of a lot more then that bubble gum test called "Trust"
If you ask me the FAA just did not want make an effort to educate flyers more then the Trust test.
The Basic is not to hard to pass but you really need to do some research to pass.

I have Firehouse strobes and use fast flash in the front (fff) and slow flash in the back. The fff makes is easier to remember. Both are white since I'm red/green colorblind.

I just use a single Firehouse Arc V on top of my drone for manned aircrafts to see. I did however order two more of those bottom facing Arc V in 'multicolor' that I will set up for red and green flashing, and that's purely for my own orientation viewing.

Also as Vic Moss said (and course reminded me in a facebook group), the strobe isn't required for rec fliers, but if you're going to get some might as well get ones that can be able to be used under Part 107.

Far as impact on photo/video being on top. You have to be pretty close to subjects to see it, or filming something rather reflective/mirrored (like a skyscraper kind of building with all glass).

At distances like this, it would be hard to see it noticeably reflected in anything.

If you're flying thru a canopy of trees or getting really close to a rock face with a little upward tilt, then you may see the flash there.
Hey Carl- love that Hyperlapse.
Do you mind sharing settings you used for that? I’m in new Mavic 3 owner I’m looking forward to doing Hyperlapse’s. I wasn’t able to do them that well with my phantom 4 pro.

-Night mode?
-ISO/shutter/aperture (assume it’s f2.8)
-flight speed
-in camera processing from jpg or custom from raw?
Also assuming the interval is 2 sec.
I see it’s a relatively slow shutter speed to get the nice drag on the cars and moving lights. Does the drone stop to take each frame so it doesn’t blur the buildings?

Anyway, excellent job I’m impressed

Hey Carl- love that Hyperlapse.
Do you mind sharing settings you used for that? I’m in new Mavic 3 owner I’m looking forward to doing Hyperlapse’s. I wasn’t able to do them that well with my phantom 4 pro.

-Night mode?
-ISO/shutter/aperture (assume it’s f2.8)
-flight speed
-in camera processing from jpg or custom from raw?
Also assuming the interval is 2 sec.
I see it’s a relatively slow shutter speed to get the nice drag on the cars and moving lights. Does the drone stop to take each frame so it doesn’t blur the buildings?

Anyway, excellent job I’m impressed
The Air 2S doesn't have the new night mode feature of the Mavic 3
The aperture is a fixed aperture of f/2.8 (no variable aperture like the Mavic 3)

Because you have the option to save original frames in a hyperlapse, such as the raw DNG file, I'm able to pull the rest of the details for each frame. You can also produce a much better video than what the automated hyperlapse saved to the drone has because you would be working with a raw 3:2 files in a video editor.

The hyperlapse was a locked course (straight ahead), the exposure was automatic with an EV +0.7. The first frame started around 1/6 shutter at an ISO of 890, shutter slowed to 1/4 halfway thru and stayed at 1/4 for the rest of it with the ISO gradually making it's way up to ISO 1460 on the last frame.

The last frame unmodified :

1668265045299.png

Reactions: jephoto
I just use a single Firehouse Arc V on top of my drone for manned aircrafts to see. I did however order two more of those bottom facing Arc V in 'multicolor' that I will set up for red and green flashing, and that's purely for my own orientation viewing.

Also as Vic Moss said (and course reminded me in a facebook group), the strobe isn't required for rec fliers, but if you're going to get some might as well get ones that can be able to be used under Part 107.

Far as impact on photo/video being on top. You have to be pretty close to subjects to see it, or filming something rather reflective/mirrored (like a skyscraper kind of building with all glass).

At distances like this, it would be hard to see it noticeably reflected in anything.

If you're flying thru a canopy of trees or getting really close to a rock face with a little upward tilt, then you may see the flash there.
I read your comment about lights for recreational flyers and was like, really.. is that right. A few quick searches and yep, nothing specific about night flying other than lights to know where it is and its orientation. I guess that makes sense being rec flyers cannot get LAANC authorization at night so they would be in areas that should be pretty open so long as the 400ft AGL is observed. Interesting to learn. I have only flown at night as a 107 and waited for the rules to change that allowed it.

That said, great video.

I read your comment about lights for recreational flyers and was like, really.. is that right. A few quick searches and yep, nothing specific about night flying other than lights to know where it is and its orientation. I guess that makes sense being rec flyers cannot get LAANC authorization at night so they would be in areas that should be pretty open so long as the 400ft AGL is observed. Interesting to learn. I have only flown at night as a 107 and waited for the rules to change that allowed it.

That said, great video.
Yep, and fortunately for me, downtown Grand Rapids isn't in the same vicinity to put it in the controlled airspace of Gerald R Ford Airport. It's mostly smaller towns and farmland in everything but the north-west section of that space.

1668266323350.png

The Air 2S doesn't have the new night mode feature of the Mavic 3
The aperture is a fixed aperture of f/2.8 (no variable aperture like the Mavic 3)

Because you have the option to save original frames in a hyperlapse, such as the raw DNG file, I'm able to pull the rest of the details for each frame. You can also produce a much better video than what the automated hyperlapse saved to the drone has because you would be working with a raw 3:2 files in a video editor.

The hyperlapse was a locked course (straight ahead), the exposure was automatic with an EV +0.7. The first frame started around 1/6 shutter at an ISO of 890, shutter slowed to 1/4 halfway thru and stayed at 1/4 for the rest of it with the ISO gradually making it's way up to ISO 1460 on the last frame.

The last frame unmodified :

View attachment 156999
Hey Karl, actually just getting back to this thread from November Thanks. What speed were you flying? How many MPH and approx for what duration did you fly for this? Also being RAW files were you listed to 5 sec interval as the shortest interval it can do?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan