DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Red screen this morning while in RTH

sarimento1

Reactions
Had a normal Mini3P flight this morning, maybe 25 minutes, still had 40% battery left.
No unusual wind or weather; drone was less than 500ft distance and under 300ft height.
I initiated RTH and the RC screen turned red, no other flight warnings.
After landing, I closed the app, re-opened it and all was back to normal.
Any idea?
(Here is photo taken at a pause just before landing. )

IMG_2969.JPG

@sarimento1 maybe it had something to do with the SD card speed low message you had on the screen

Its not a rare problem.

I've had it after taking a 360 pano. Just went red (but keeping the over exposure zebras).
No camera/video changing or setting change got rid of it. I had to return home, land, power on/off then it was fine.
(FWIW internal storage so not an SD card issue).

Screenshot_20220608-145529.png

Someone else posted a thread on the DJI forum about it too:- Mini 3 pro rc red screen in flight

Reactions: yankfanp
As @old man mavic pointed out there was is that SD Card warning on your screen shot and @Cymru says that his occurred after taking a pano. Is that the internal SD card is full and cannot write to it anymore? I forget the size of the internal DJI RC memory but it's fairly small and maybe older files need to be deleted. Or rather than writing to the internal storage possibly writing to a supported microSD card of the recommended speed would fix the problem.

As @old man mavic pointed out there was is that SD Card warning on your screen shot and @Cymru says that his occurred after taking a pano. Is that the internal SD card is full and cannot write to it anymore? I forget the size of the internal DJI RC memory but it's fairly small and maybe older files need to be deleted. Or rather than writing to the internal storage possibly writing to a supported microSD card of the recommended speed would fix the problem.

thanks for input.
camera was writing to the sd card, admittedly an older, slow cheapo card that i had around.
i'll replace it with a faster card soon just ot be safe.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Nope its not that, i was using internal storage with 2 images on. SD card was also in there which was formatted but empty.
After it occurred i could still take images that appeared fine but couldn't reset the camera view to normal without cycling the power.

Airdata shows no warnings or cautions, logs dont indicate anything happened at all.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Its not a rare problem.

I've had it after taking a 360 pano. Just went red (but keeping the over exposure zebras).
No camera/video changing or setting change got rid of it. I had to return home, land, power on/off then it was fine.
(FWIW internal storage so not an SD card issue).

View attachment 149849

Someone else posted a thread on the DJI forum about it too:- Mini 3 pro rc red screen in flight
Me too, using the SC.

Im using the RC-N1 not the smart controller.

I suspect its a drone software issue as a power cycle of the drone fixed it, a force close/reload of the app in flight did not.

That's a bit scary. (And another reason for sticking to VLOS when I fly!)

How frequently does this happen? I've been considering getting a Mini 3 specifically for panoramas (and the RC with a screen).

I've had my Mavic 2 get stuck twice in the middle of panoramas (couldn't take any more pictures, although I could still see through the screen and all other controls functioned OK) until I power-cycled the aircraft. That's twice in several hundred panoramas.

Happened to me exactly once - i dont think its common.

Its an annoyance not a problem anyway. You retain full control of the drone and have full telemetry so its perfectly easy to fly it back home and power cycle.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giku