DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Regarding DJI Refresh

eldvisuals

Reactions
So a friend of mine recently crashed his drone (user error) he sent the drone out, Sent photos first of the drone. The gimball was dislodged and he could not find it. DJI is now saying they cannot honor the refresh due to missing parts. Are they allowed to do this? What is than the point of selling an insurance which doesn't allow to be used if you crash and parts go missing?

Looks like you have to read the terms & conditions with a magnifying glass before signing up :mad:

It's kind of ridiculous if you ask me. You know? It's like saying you get into a car accident and your insurance tells you, you have to recover the passenger side mirror and front bumper in order to be able to use it.

This plan does not cover:
1) Lost or partially lost aircraft and accessories.
2) Stolen or abandoned aircraft and accessories.
3) Damage caused by flight under unsuitable flight conditions.
4) Any repair fees resulting from or following water damage.
5) Repair fees for battery, propellers, remote controller or other accessories.
6) Deliberate losses.
7) Abrasions and shell damage that do not affect the performance of the aircraft.
8) Direct or indirect losses caused by force majeure.
9) Repair requests for damage incurred outside the period of validity.
10) Indirect loss and/or anticipated profit in any form.
11) Extra fees resulting from technical enhancements or performance improvements.
12) Personal injury and/or property loss to the customer or any other people caused by the aircraft.
13) Any legal fees related to DJI Care’s warranty coverage.

Welp upon reading.. I think its ridiculous if you ask me.. lol paying $139 for a service that picks and chooses what they can repair..

Hmmm. Well, it seems that it covers their cost of signing you up for the insurance in the first place but nothing beyond that. I did not realize you have to send them every part.

Although, maybe they are concerned about people removing the gimbal/camera to use on a second drone and claiming damage of crash but no gimbal was recovered???

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Hmmm. Well, it seems that it covers their cost of signing you up for the insurance in the first place but nothing beyond that. I did not realize you have to send them every part.

Although, maybe they are concerned about people removing the gimbal/camera to use on a second drone and claiming damage of crash but no gimbal was recovered???

I can see where they can be concerned, but if the drone looks like it took hell of damage lol. every arm is snapped and the front end is thrashed.. I kind of see it as complete BS.

If you can get State Farm insurance, it is a much better deal. It costs less and covers more.

Reactions: Robzilla
If you can get State Farm insurance, it is a much better deal. It costs less and covers more.

I've contacted statefarm before and they never seem to know anything about drone insurance. Maybe I should ask for a supervisor. lol

After one year since Mavic 2 came out, I think there are no more drone mistakes, does it even make sense to buy DJI Refresh when it's always the pilot's fault?

After one year since Mavic 2 came out, I think there are no more drone mistakes, does it even make sense to buy DJI Refresh when it's always the pilot's fault?
Yes it does. It does not matter with DJICARE ... I put my Pro in a tree, it then fell 70-80 feet. That replacement took 8 days from the crash and paid for the policies on all my drones plus.

I also have AMA membership to get the $2.5 million liability, $10k medical, and $1k on the drone... this costs $70/yr less senior discount.

Reactions: SturdyFlamingo
Yes it does. It does not matter with DJICARE ... I put my Pro in a tree, it then fell 70-80 feet. That replacement took 8 days from the crash and paid for the policies on all my drones plus.

I also have AMA membership to get the $2.5 million liability, $10k medical, and $1k on the drone... this costs $70/yr less senior discount.
I think you misunderstand the $1000 AMA drone coverage.
It's not for crashes. It's only for theft from your home or vehicle.

Fire, Vandalism, and Theft Coverage (Effective March 31)

 Provides up to $1,000 for loss of aircraft models and accessories, including RC equipment. All theft loss claims must be accompanied by a police report. NOTE: Theft has to occur from a locked vehicle or residential dwelling. There must be physical evidence of violent forcible entry.
 Has a $100.00 deductible.
 Is “excess” to any other applicable coverage, such as homeowner’s.

Reactions: SturdyFlamingo
I think you misunderstand the $1000 AMA drone coverage.
It's not for crashes. It's only for theft from your home or vehicle.

Fire, Vandalism, and Theft Coverage (Effective March 31)

 Provides up to $1,000 for loss of aircraft models and accessories, including RC equipment. All theft loss claims must be accompanied by a police report. NOTE: Theft has to occur from a locked vehicle or residential dwelling. There must be physical evidence of violent forcible entry.
 Has a $100.00 deductible.
 Is “excess” to any other applicable coverage, such as homeowner’s.
Still cheap, especially liability.

Still cheap, especially liability.
Yes, but the thread is about drone collision insurance for crashes. Also, the liability coverage only covers you if you were adhering to all AMA rules at the time of the crash. Still cheap. Cheap because the risk of paying off a claim is cheaper. They still make money including the policy in AMA membership. It also requires you to use you own other insurance first. They cover any "excess."

Yes, but the thread is about drone collision insurance for crashes. Also, the liability coverage only covers you if you were adhering to all AMA rules at the time of the crash. Still cheap. Cheap because the risk of paying off a claim is cheaper. They still make money including the policy in AMA membership. It also requires you to use you own other insurance first. They cover any "excess."
I am fully aware of the topic. It is actually DJI Refresh.
I also listed that component of AMA insurance. State Farm in AZ doesn’t cover it unless stolen from residence or vehicle.
Since I don’t carry any other liability ins for the drone, and since the AMA guidelines are an echo of those of the FAA following the rules and flying legally is what I do. Not willing to risk it... each to his/her own decision on risking a catastrophic event and determining course of action.
Of course they make money, or why would they offer it, they are in business.
Anyway, OP can now see the options and can ignore us both by looking on the AMA website for details.

Reactions: eldvisuals
I am fully aware of the topic. It is actually DJI Refresh.
I also listed that component of AMA insurance. State Farm in AZ doesn’t cover it unless stolen from residence or vehicle.
Since I don’t carry any other liability ins for the drone, and since the AMA guidelines are an echo of those of the FAA following the rules and flying legally is what I do. Not willing to risk it... each to his/her own decision on risking a catastrophic event and determining course of action.
Of course they make money, or why would they offer it, they are in business.
Anyway, OP can now see the options and can ignore us both by looking on the AMA website for details.
Interesting that CA now isn't the only state where State Farm won't cover a drone on a personal articles policy against accidental damage. Thanks for sharing your perspective. The AMA included insurance is still a great value, even with all the exclusions. However, trying to collect on an insurance policy, when you actually have to file a claim, is where you always find out that they don't make money by paying claims, but by denying them! Realistically, the likelihood of a consumer drone flown legally under AMA rules, causing financially significant damage is minimal. It would be like winning the lottery in reverse. YMMV!

I just went into one of the local State Farm offices here in our little town and they knew right away what I was referring to. They were great people to work with. If you tried online I am not surprised to hear they didn't know what you were talking about.
It's not called "drone insurance", per se. It's called a Personal Articles Policy that can include a drone or several drones, and many other stated covered items, like cameras, up to the limits of the policy, which is something like $2000 for $75 a year. In CA and AZ, they apparently won't allow drones to be listed under the policy. However, you should be able to buy it in every other state. Great deal, if you can get it!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15