DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

register your drone, vs non register?

I suppose one could argue that you also don't "have" to register your vehicle. That is until you're pulled over and get a citation.

At the end of the day, it is a matter of being legal. Doing what's right. More times than none it is those that rebel against the laws and rules that cause more problems on the road and in the airspace.

Fly safe, fly legal!

I have had my DJI mini 2 for awhile, i have been thinking of upgrading to a drone that requires registration. I fly just as a hobby for fun around my house no videos online and i enjoy the aerial photography.

Why do you need to register your drone once it's over a certain weight? The little drone could cause just as much of a issue as a larger one maybe not to the same extent but can still be abused.

Does registration really change anything other than you can be easily identified? I'm assuming that is the whole reason for registration.

Thanks for the help! :)
What are you afraid of that makes you not want to register your drone?

Reactions: New England Droning
I have had my DJI mini 2 for awhile, i have been thinking of upgrading to a drone that requires registration. I fly just as a hobby for fun around my house no videos online and i enjoy the aerial photography.

Why do you need to register your drone once it's over a certain weight? The little drone could cause just as much of a issue as a larger one maybe not to the same extent but can still be abused.

Does registration really change anything other than you can be easily identified? I'm assuming that is the whole reason for registration.

I fail to see the dilemma here. The reality is that you are flying an aircraft in the NAS along with other manned and unmanned aircraft. Why not just pay the 5 bucks for three years, slap a sticker on you new drone and be legal like most everyone else? By you possibly deciding to not play by the rules the rest of us that do will pay the price.

I register everything whether it needs to be or not. If you are ever stopped and your licensed and registered there is less hassle.

This thread has gone off topic and several posts had to be removed. I this continues, I'll close the thread.

Just curious, how would you respond if your drone had a flyaway, and crashed causing damage to people or objects? Are you ready to take responsibility for liability?
What does this have to do with whether or not the pilot needs to register with the FAA?

if he's flying a sub-250g drone recreationally he doesn't need to register with the FAA.

How he would respond if responsible for harm to people or property simply isn't relevant to the question of registration.

Speed Test

Comes Sept doesn’t matter if you’re registered, you can still be tracked. What that means remains to be seen. What will enforcement look like? Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Comes Sept doesn’t matter if you’re registered, you can still be tracked. What that means remains to be seen. What will enforcement look like? Stay tuned.
This is all the security/LEOs wanting this. Suppose that have their own play book. They just want FAA to make it easier for them. Governments are good at picking and choosing.

The FAA demands that you do what the LEOs are telling them to do. Isn't there a break in the chain of command here somewhere? But I think somebody said one of the other bills they were trying to pass if it passes contradicts even the FAA rules. So this all may go in a trash can somewhere.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown