DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

register your drone, vs non register?

MarkXP

Reactions
I have had my DJI mini 2 for awhile, i have been thinking of upgrading to a drone that requires registration. I fly just as a hobby for fun around my house no videos online and i enjoy the aerial photography.

Why do you need to register your drone once it's over a certain weight? The little drone could cause just as much of a issue as a larger one maybe not to the same extent but can still be abused.

Does registration really change anything other than you can be easily identified? I'm assuming that is the whole reason for registration.

Thanks for the help! :)

Why do you need to register your drone once it's over a certain weight?
If there was no weight limit, everything that flies in the air would need to be registered.

Does registration really change anything other than you can be easily identified?
That and it probably motivates people to be more accountable.

I like being legal when I can. I can’t get a good burger for five bucks. Comes Sept doesn’t matter if you’re registered, you can still be tracked. What that means remains to be seen. What will enforcement look like? Stay tuned.

So really getting a drone that i have to register really would not change anything?

What will enforcement look like? Stay tuned.
It'll probably look just like it does when you drive your car around. Constantly being tracked... and not bothered unless you're doing something illegal.

So really getting a drone that i have to register really would not change anything?
No just a number on the side of your drone either a sticker or black marker or red your choice.

It'll probably look just like it does when you drive your car around. Constantly being tracked... and not bothered unless you're doing something illegal.
I envy you folks with crystal balls. I don’t have any.

Reactions: Len750
Whether you register or not is up to you.
Besides the fact the registering your aircraft satisfies legal requirements, it also comes down to the people that WILL approach you and ask questions, if your aircraft is registered and you have proof of that and a pilot certification, then that conversation generally goes much better.
Plus it's just better to be informed, legal, and responsible when you are flying any aircraft.
Here in Canada, any aircraft heavier than 250 grams must be registered with Transport Canada, display it's registration number, and you must have at least the Basic Pilot license (recreational only) to fly it.
Remote ID is not an issue here (yet) but even if it was, I honestly don't care if I'm being tracked. I fly legally and safely so bring it lol. The only reason I would ever be tracked is if I was causing trouble with other aircraft or people, which I never do.

Last edited:
If your flying any drone over 250 grams, you need to be register in the US, because that's the law. The disadvantage is that it costs a few dollars ($5 if I remember right), the advantage is your flying legally. By the way, your registering yourself as a pilot, not the aircraft. Part 107 pilots need to register each drone, but flying strictly as a hobby you can have as many as you want.

Reactions: MS Coast and MarkXP
I have had my DJI mini 2 for awhile, i have been thinking of upgrading to a drone that requires registration. I fly just as a hobby for fun around my house no videos online and i enjoy the aerial photography.

Why do you need to register your drone once it's over a certain weight? The little drone could cause just as much of a issue as a larger one maybe not to the same extent but can still be abused.

Does registration really change anything other than you can be easily identified? I'm assuming that is the whole reason for registration.

Thanks for the help! :)
Like most 'rules' it has little or NOTHING to do with safety and everything to do with money and control.
"Plus it's just better to be informed, legal, and responsible when you are flying any aircraft." EXACTLY HOW DOES BEING REGISTERED DO THIS???? being registered doesn't make you anything but a person who spent the 5 bucks lol.

Like most 'rules' it has little or NOTHING to do with safety and everything to do with money and control.
"Plus it's just better to be informed, legal, and responsible when you are flying any aircraft." EXACTLY HOW DOES BEING REGISTERED DO THIS???? being registered doesn't make you anything but a person who spent the 5 bucks lol.
I have a Mini 2 & fly exclusively in Class G airspace. I have no reason to register it or get a Part 107.

I envy you folks with crystal balls. I don’t have any.
But somehow you are sure the government requiring a drone to be registered is nefarious.
Sure Jan!

Nothing to do with safety? Seriously?
Do really want to know how irresponsible and stupid people are?
An 18 year old on a cruise ship jumped off ON A DARE! He has not been found.
The rules are made for a reason.

But somehow you are sure the government requiring a drone to be registered is nefarious.
Sure Jan!
Is that a function of extrapolation or projection?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13