DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to register a drone in Mexico.

Thmoore

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Looks like registering to fly a drone in Mexico is pretty straightforward. Under 250g, no registration required. Over 250g, email 'em a form and some gov't ID and proof of purchase. This appears to be the procedure as of Dec. 2023:

How to Register a Drone in Mexico

Reactions: Bill Fearon
I’m sure that is “negotiable” if asked to see it.

Reactions: basyok
Looks like registering to fly a drone in Mexico is pretty straightforward. Under 250g, no registration required. Over 250g, email 'em a form and some gov't ID and proof of purchase. This appears to be the procedure as of Dec. 2023:

How to Register a Drone in Mexico
That link is an individual's blog page, not an actual reference on the Mexican civil aviation authority. I'm not familiar with that blog, but many of the unofficial web pages describing drone regulations and registration in other countries are out of date or simply inaccurate. And some are essentially "I flew my drone in Cancun and no one said anything, so it's ok everywhere in the country."

A quick search turned up three other non-official sites. Two state that non-citizens are not allowed to fly drones in Mexico.
I'm curious about what you ultimately find out about registration and operating regulations. Good luck. It's a bit confusing.

Reactions: Brojon
That link is an individual's blog page, not an actual reference on the Mexican civil aviation authority. I'm not familiar with that blog, but many of the unofficial web pages describing drone regulations and registration in other countries are out of date or simply inaccurate. And some are essentially "I flew my drone in Cancun and no one said anything, so it's ok everywhere in the country."

A quick search turned up three other non-official sites. Two state that non-citizens are not allowed to fly drones in Mexico.
I'm curious about what you ultimately find out about registration and operating regulations. Good luck. It's a bit confusing.
That individual is me! And I just pulled all these documents from the Mexican civil aviation authority's website, and distilled what's in those documents into that posting.

Those first two links have old information. The third link you included drew from the same information I did. Under the "Visitors" tab up top, the first bullet is: "• Foreign visitor drone flights are allowed in Mexico."

I just sent my application in. If they approve it, that's pretty good proof that non-Mexican citizens are allowed to fly there. I'll update things when I know more.

You need a license to fly a drone in Mexico over 250g. And you can't get one unless you are a Mexican National.

Reactions: Brojon and Starz
You need a license to fly a drone in Mexico over 250g. And you can't get one unless you are a Mexican National.
I believe that used to be the case; it seems not to be now. I'll find out and let everyone know!

UPDATE: A surprisingly warm reply from the Mexican civil aviation authorities acknowledging my application:

Original:

Estimado Usuario de RPAS,

Esperando se encuentre muy bien, por medio del presente se hace de su conocimiento que, se tiene por recibida su solicitud de registro para operar un Sistema de Aeronave Pilotada a Distancia (RPAS) en el espacio aéreo mexicano.

Consecuentemente, esta Dirección del Registro Aeronáutico Mexicano realizará el análisis correspondiente de la información adjunta al correo que antecede y en su momento le hará llegar una respuesta por el mismo medio con los comentarios que procedan, en un horario hábil de 09:00 a 18:00 hrs, de lunes a viernes.

Sin más por el momento, reciba un cordial saludo.
English:

Dear RPAS User,

Hoping you are very well, this message is to inform you that we have received your application to operate a Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS) in Mexican airspace.

Consequently, this Mexican Aeronautical Registry Directorate will carry out the corresponding analysis of the information attached to the preceding email and will send you a response via the same means with any appropriate comments, during working hours from 09:00 to 18:00 hrs, Monday to Friday.

Without further ado, receive a warm greeting.

Reactions: MS Coast
Probably a computer generated response that they pass out to anyone asking for application. Will be interesting to see the outcome once they establish your nationality. I could be wrong.

UPDATE: A surprisingly warm reply from the Mexican civil aviation authorities acknowledging my application:

Original:

Estimado Usuario de RPAS,

Esperando se encuentre muy bien, por medio del presente se hace de su conocimiento que, se tiene por recibida su solicitud de registro para operar un Sistema de Aeronave Pilotada a Distancia (RPAS) en el espacio aéreo mexicano.

Consecuentemente, esta Dirección del Registro Aeronáutico Mexicano realizará el análisis correspondiente de la información adjunta al correo que antecede y en su momento le hará llegar una respuesta por el mismo medio con los comentarios que procedan, en un horario hábil de 09:00 a 18:00 hrs, de lunes a viernes.

Sin más por el momento, reciba un cordial saludo.
English:

Dear RPAS User,

Hoping you are very well, this message is to inform you that we have received your application to operate a Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS) in Mexican airspace.

Consequently, this Mexican Aeronautical Registry Directorate will carry out the corresponding analysis of the information attached to the preceding email and will send you a response via the same means with any appropriate comments, during working hours from 09:00 to 18:00 hrs, Monday to Friday.

Without further ado, receive a warm greeting.

@Thmoore, what was the outcome? Did you get things sorted out?

Reactions: Starz
Wait!! I just saw this reply just after I hit "send" on that last one. I'm trying to figure out what it means:

ENGLISH TRANSLATION:

Dear user,

I inform you that to obtain a registration folio for a DRONE, as a foreign person, you must present the following documentation:

• Invoice or document through which you prove ownership of the drone, which must comply with the formalities established in the Federal Civil Code, in accordance with what is established in article 47 section VI of the Civil Aviation Law, 92 Quinquies section IV, 14 Quinquies section II of the Mexican Aeronautical Registry Regulation and numeral 15.3 subsection b) of the NOM-107-SCT3-2019.​
• Document issued by the immigration authority through which your regular stay in the country is accredited, the above in accordance with what is established in article 14 Quinquies section III of the Regulation of the Mexican Aeronautical Registry.​

• Normative Appendix “K”: Registration of RPAS by the RPAS Operator printed version, signed by the owner where the applicant's address in the national territory must be recorded to hear and receive notifications and documents, the above in accordance with what is established in article 14 Quinquies section I of the Regulation of the Mexican Aeronautical Registry.​

I must not omit to mention that the registration folio will be granted attending to the following:
• The use given to the Remotely Piloted Aircraft System must be solely for recreational purposes, in accordance with article 92 Quinquies section I of the Civil Aviation Law Regulation.​
• The Remotely Piloted Aircraft System must have a maximum takeoff weight of up to 2 kilograms, in accordance with article 92 Quinquies section II of the Civil Aviation Law Regulation.​
ORIGINAL SPANISH:

Estimado usuario.

Le informo que para obtener un folio de registro para DRON, como persona extranjera deberá presentar la siguiente documentación:
  • Factura o documento a través del cual acredite la propiedad del dron, mismos que deberán cumplir con las formalidades establecidas en el Código Civil Federal, de conformidad a lo establecido en el artículo 47 fracción VI de la Ley de Aviación Civil, 92 Quinquies fracción IV, 14 Quinquies fracción II del Reglamento del Registro Aeronáutico Mexicano y numeral 15.3 inciso b) de la NOM-107-SCT3-2019.

• Documento expedido por la autoridad migratoria mediante el cual acredite su estancia regular en el país, lo anterior de conformidad con lo establecido en el artículo 14 Quinquies fracción III del Reglamento del Registro Aeronáutico Mexicano.

• Apéndice “K” Normativo: Registro de RPAS por el Operador de RPAS versión impresa, firmada por el propietario donde deberá plasmar domicilio en territorio nacional del solicitante para oír y recibir notificaciones y documentos, lo anterior de acuerdo con lo establecido en el artículo 14 Quinquies fracción I del Reglamento del Registro Aeronáutico Mexicano.
No omito señalar que el folio de registro se otorgará atendiendo a lo siguiente:
  • El uso que se de al Sistema de Aeronave Pilotada a Distancia deberá ser únicamente con fines recreativos, de conformidad con el artículo 92 Quinquies fracción I del Reglamento de la Ley de Aviación Civil.
  • El Sistema de Aeronave Pilotada a Distancia debe tener un peso máximo de despegue de hasta 2 kilogramos, de conformidad con el artículo 92 Quinquies fracción II Reglamento de la Ley de Aviación Civil.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne