DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scrambling to be RID compliant - any MP2 pilots with drone zone registered modules?

NoVaMavicPilot

Active Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2021
Messages
44
Reactions
91
Age
48
Location
Northern Virginia
Greetings all,

I see that there is still a lot of uncertainty and confusion, naturally, from DJI about the timing of any firmware that will render the MP2 RID compliant.
I'm a 107 MP2 pilot with two years of flying. My MP2 has plenty of miles left in it, and I refuse to upgrade to an MP3 at this point. 1) Does anyone here have an MP2 and an RID module that they were able to register in dronezone? I went to my drone zone registration and did not even see an option to add an after-market module. When I used the "RID module" dropdown, it auto-populated with my MP2 registration number, and I couldn't edit or add. 2) For those with MP2 modules, let me know makes/size/weight and whether you had any issues with flights. Thanks.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BigAl07
Greetings all,

I see that there is still a lot of uncertainty and confusion, naturally, from DJI about the timing of any firmware that will render the MP2 RID compliant.
There is no confusion from DJI since they published their intentions. Those are future promises and no one knows if they will honor them or not; we can only wait and see. They might come earlier, they might come later, or they might not come at all. Shouldn't be too confusing.

"I'm a 107 MP2 pilot with two years of flying. My MP2 has plenty of miles left in it, and I refuse to upgrade to an MP3 at this point. 1) Does anyone here have an MP2 and an RID module that they were able to register in dronezone? I went to my drone zone registration and did not even see an option to add an after-market module. When I used the "RID module" dropdown, it auto-populated with my MP2 registration number, and I couldn't edit or add. 2) For those with MP2 modules, let me know makes/size/weight and whether you had any issues with flights. Thanks."

This is FAA (not DJI) and you are correct; mucho confusion. :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: NoVaMavicPilot
Your M2P will be compliant by 12/31/23 at the latest.

Also, the FAA is having their normal Executive Meeting this Thursday. I talked with Jeffrey Vincent last week and asked him to please take into account the supply issue and make a decision then about compliance. I also asked him to please publish that decision ASAP.

The FAA knows there is an issue. It is my feeling (a feeling only, no one in the FAA I talked to last week knows) that there may be an enforcement deference type memo put out.

Legally, the FAA cannot change the date since it's Congressionally mandated. But they can defer enforcement, just like they did with the manufacturers. That would be the best option at the moment.

As soon as I hear anything (I'm going to start bugging them all on Thursday afternoon), I'll pass it along.
 
Your M2P will be compliant by 12/31/23 at the latest.

Also, the FAA is having their normal Executive Meeting this Thursday. I talked with Jeffrey Vincent last week and asked him to please take into account the supply issue and make a decision then about compliance. I also asked him to please publish that decision ASAP.

The FAA knows there is an issue. It is my feeling (a feeling only, no one in the FAA I talked to last week knows) that there may be an enforcement deference type memo put out.

Legally, the FAA cannot change the date since it's Congressionally mandated. But they can defer enforcement, just like they did with the manufacturers. That would be the best option at the moment.

As soon as I hear anything (I'm going to start bugging them all on Thursday afternoon), I'll pass it along.
Thanks, Vic. I thought my M2P was so old that it would never be compliant, so ordered a db120 for 159 euros a few days ago. Perhaps I can cancel. Thanks very much for keeping us up to date on this.
 
  • Like
Reactions: NoVaMavicPilot
  • Like
Reactions: JimWest
Your M2P will be compliant by 12/31/23 at the latest.

Also, the FAA is having their normal Executive Meeting this Thursday. I talked with Jeffrey Vincent last week and asked him to please take into account the supply issue and make a decision then about compliance. I also asked him to please publish that decision ASAP.

The FAA knows there is an issue. It is my feeling (a feeling only, no one in the FAA I talked to last week knows) that there may be an enforcement deference type memo put out.

Legally, the FAA cannot change the date since it's Congressionally mandated. But they can defer enforcement, just like they did with the manufacturers. That would be the best option at the moment.

As soon as I hear anything (I'm going to start bugging them all on Thursday afternoon), I'll pass it along.
At the FAA Symposium, it was said that if you have attempted compliance, you would not have an issue. Saving emails from my vendor stating they are back ordered. Have 45 on order.
 
At the FAA Symposium, it was said that if you have attempted compliance, you would not have an issue. Saving emails from my vendor stating they are back ordered. Have 45 on order.
That wasn’t an official response. That will be announced soon though. Hopefully.
 
They better hurry, don’t want to spend $7000 for modules to get me up to DJI upgrade date.
I'm bugging the FAA again today.
 
They better hurry, don’t want to spend $7000 for modules to get me up to DJI upgrade date.
... also, were you in the room for the RID discussion there? Are you one of the folks that stood up at the end and mentioned your situation? If so, thanks, that panel needed that. I wanted to talk to you afterwards, but I ended up getting pulled aside by an FAA person.
 
They better hurry, don’t want to spend $7000 for modules to get me up to DJI upgrade date.
FYI, I sent your comment to Jeffrey Vincent this morning.

His response:
"Good morning Vic,

We are aware of the concerns and are considering options with respect to the Sept. 16 compliance date for Remote ID. We will have more to share with you in the near future."

For what it's worth...🙄
 
  • Like
Reactions: Torque and BigAl07
Latest from the FAA on RID deferment procedures. This is only for Public Safety Agencies, but I expect something similar for civilian 107 and 44809 operators.

Stay tuned...
 

Attachments

  • RID deferement.pdf
    485.3 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for sharing Vic. Like the footnote at that bottom of the advisory. Maybe my M200 that I can't even give away these days might be worth something to a FRG that needs a full setup with no RID. Here's to hoping. :)
 
Greetings all,

I see that there is still a lot of uncertainty and confusion, naturally, from DJI about the timing of any firmware that will render the MP2 RID compliant.
I'm a 107 MP2 pilot with two years of flying. My MP2 has plenty of miles left in it, and I refuse to upgrade to an MP3 at this point. 1) Does anyone here have an MP2 and an RID module that they were able to register in dronezone? I went to my drone zone registration and did not even see an option to add an after-market module. When I used the "RID module" dropdown, it auto-populated with my MP2 registration number, and I couldn't edit or add. 2) For those with MP2 modules, let me know makes/size/weight and whether you had any issues with flights. Thanks.
My DroneTag BS module updated and works just fine for my M2P on my 107 inventory . I guess it has to do with how fast and well the company reports their serial numbers to the FAA. I’ve only used it over a couple of test flights, but it looks like it’ll go to at least line of sight at max ceiling (mine was 350’ above my TO point and out a ways to the point where I could still see which way it was pointing) and it still had a strong signal (while monitoring it with my Dronetag iOS app on my handheld iPhone).

So when they do update the M2P’s, i’m not going to update mine and will continue using my tag. It’s a good bet there will be some additional unwanted stuff added to the update, my worse nightmare would be if it disables the Litchi-compatible SDK.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: NoVaMavicPilot
My DroneTag BS module updated and works just fine for my M2P on my 107 inventory . I guess it has to do with how fast and well the company reports their serial numbers to the FAA. I’ve only used it over a couple of test flights, but it looks like it’ll go to at least line of sight at max ceiling (mine was 350’ above my TO point and out a ways to the point where I could still see which way it was pointing) and it still had a strong signal (while monitoring it with my Dronetag iOS app on my handheld iPhone).

So when they do update the M2P’s, i’m not going to update mine and will continue using my tag. It’s a good bet there will be some additional unwanted stuff added to the update, my worse nightmare would be if it disables the Litchi-compatible SDK.
Thanks for the info. I ordered a Beacon, which is on backorder, so I won't be getting mine until mid-October, hopefully. Fortunately, I will be in Scotland (with a new UK drone permit and no worries about RID) in late Sept/early Oct.
 
Last edited:
Your M2P will be compliant by 12/31/23 at the latest.

Also, the FAA is having their normal Executive Meeting this Thursday. I talked with Jeffrey Vincent last week and asked him to please take into account the supply issue and make a decision then about compliance. I also asked him to please publish that decision ASAP.

The FAA knows there is an issue. It is my feeling (a feeling only, no one in the FAA I talked to last week knows) that there may be an enforcement deference type memo put out.

Legally, the FAA cannot change the date since it's Congressionally mandated. But they can defer enforcement, just like they did with the manufacturers. That would be the best option at the moment.

As soon as I hear anything (I'm going to start bugging them all on Thursday afternoon), I'll pass it along.
Thank you. I just bought a Beacon on backorder.
 
There will be relief granted. It may be almost last minute, but it is coming. Please tell everyone you know who is worried about this to not worry. It is coming. I don't have any details yet, but will share ASAP.
 
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
129,912
Messages
1,547,440
Members
158,977
Latest member
mckhr