DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Registration

Mike_B

Reactions
(This is just an "FYI" thing, so.....)
OK, I'm in the process of getting my Mavic Pro repaired (it flies well and all, and the gimbal works the way it's supposed to, just no video feed - it's registered an in my "Drone Zone" 'inventory') and I told a friend who's flown my drones before that once I get it fixed, I would give him either my Phantom 3 Standard or my Hubsan Zino 1, his choice....he's flown the Zino before and likes it but hasn't flown the P3S yet, has the app for both and yes, he has his TRUST certificate.
If/when I give him either one, I'll "de-register" (cancel) it from my inventory on the Drone Zone, This way, he can register it there under his name.
I think that's how it should be done when transferring ownership from one person to another, in any case, correct?

I'm not sure how you have it registered. If you are a recreational flyer I don't think they even ask for serial numbers. But registed in drone zone with a serial attached, I don't know. Edit: I think if it's registered individually, you go into the Part 107 area, look up your inventory and I believe there is a "cancel" button to delink the registration. Not sure but my best guess as that's how you do it in the recreational area.

I do believe he will have to register it under his account and the drone to his own account. Make sure you de-link your account from the drone and restore to factory settings.

OK, I'm in the process of getting my Mavic Pro repaired (it flies well and all, and the gimbal works the way it's supposed to, just no video feed - it's registered an in my "Drone Zone" 'inventory') and I told a friend who's flown my drones before that once I get it fixed, I would give him either my Phantom 3 Standard or my Hubsan Zino 1, his choice....he's flown the Zino before and likes it but hasn't flown the P3S yet, has the app for both and yes, he has his TRUST certificate.
If/when I give him either one, I'll "de-register" (cancel) it from my inventory on the Drone Zone, This way, he can register it there under his name.
I think that's how it should be done when transferring ownership from one person to another, in any case, correct?
To properly answer this question we need to know whether you and your friend are recreational or part 107 pilots. A recreation pilot registers himself. A part 107 pilot registers his drones.

Reactions: okw and vindibona1
I'm not sure how you have it registered. If you are a recreational flyer I don't think they even ask for serial numbers. But registed in drone zone with a serial attached, I don't know. Edit: I think if it's registered individually, you go into the Part 107 area, look up your inventory and I believe there is a "cancel" button to delink the registration. Not sure but my best guess as that's how you do it in the recreational area.

I do believe he will have to register it under his account and the drone to his own account. Make sure you de-link your account from the drone and restore to factory settings.
There's a "cancel" button on each of mine, even though they're registered recreational - don't have my 107 yet, but I'm working on getting the money for the test.
I've already notified him of that (your last paragraph) and he's going to do that when the time comes, no matter which one he chooses.

To properly answer this question we need to know whether you and your friend are recreational or part 107 pilots. A recreation pilot registers himself. A part 107 pilot registers his drones.
We're both Recreational operators at this time.

We're both Recreational operators at this time.
In preparation for "Remote ID", the FAA has added a "Manage Device Inventory" section for recreational fliers where you can create a list of your drones. If you have added a drone to your inventory that you are going to sell (or give to someone) then, yes, you would want to remove it from your inventory and the new owner can add it to theirs.

There's a "cancel" button on each of mine, even though they're registered recreational - don't have my 107 yet, but I'm working on getting the money for the test.
Here is a tip about the test cost… If you can find an OFFICIAL FAA testing center the cost is cheaper. I think I paid $90 for the test rather than a “private”testing center for $150 (I think). I know it was much cheaper.

Here is a tip about the test cost… If you can find an OFFICIAL FAA testing center the cost is cheaper. I think I paid $90 for the test rather than a “private”testing center for $150 (I think). I know it was much cheaper.
I spoke not long ago to the UAV person at the local FSDO (Scottsdale, AZ) and he said that if they (the FAA) were administering it, it would be FREE; it's private companies, authorized by the FAA to administer it that's the reason it costs.
I'm on a VERY limited budget (SS and a VERY small VA disability) - after rent and the usual bills, I have to wait till my next SS check (near the end of each month) for more $$, so even $90 is $89.99 more than I can afford.
I bought what I have when I did have some money to spare - I don't any more.
Two of the drones I own I got 'lucky' with and were literally given to me, free.

CAN I BE YOUR FRIEND...????

Maybe call your local FSDO and ask them if the test administration costs something, if done through one of their testing centres, or if there is no charge when carried out directly with the FAA. I'm hoping for you, that there will be no charge.

Last edited:
CAN I BE YOUR FRIEND...????

Maybe call your local FSDO and ask them if the test administration costs something, if done through one of their testing centres, or if there is no charge when carried out directly with the FAA. I'm hoping for you, that there will be no charge.
Wow, I hope you are right about being Free at the FSDO. I unfortunately have to put my bet on they do not administer Knowledge Tests and certainly not for free. Back in 1980s I took 9 FAA knowledge Test (then they were called Written Exams! - pencil required) I thought that they assigned all that to designated providers/testing centers. Ask your local FSDO and let us know..

Reactions: BigAl07
@DJ Wes, we're both currently Recreational flyers (44809), but working on our Part 107s.

Last edited:
@DJ Wes, we're both currently Recreational flyers (44809), but working on our Part 107s.
And of course, you would not be allowed to undertake any commercial work until one of you were an actual 107 holder.

And you may not be aware of this but only one of you needs to have your 107 for either of you to fly commercially. With that said, the part 107 pilot must be in attendance and be in charge of the flight but your friend could also fly and film the job without holding his 107 as long as you were there with him, and that would be legal. He just could not fly on a job when you were not there in attendance.

And of course, you would not be allowed to undertake any commercial work until one of you were an actual 107 holder.

And you may not be aware of this but only one of you needs to have your 107 for either of you to fly commercially. With that said, the part 107 pilot must be in attendance and be in charge of the flight but your friend could also fly and film the job without holding his 107 as long as you were there with him, and that would be legal. He just could not fly on a job when you were not there in attendance.
Kinda like in Amateur Radio ('ham' radio), where a license holder like myself can be the Control Operator for someone else even if that person's not licensed (or even if they're licensed, but of a lower class license than me).

Kinda like in Amateur Radio ('ham' radio), where a license holder like myself can be the Control Operator for someone else even if that person's not licensed (or even if they're licensed, but of a lower class license than me).
Correct... My brother is an Extra!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929