DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Relationship between object avoidance and video resolution

Korrd

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
I've started practicing flying my drone on highly technical terrain in order to produce action videos, so I went into a half-dense forest in order to fly there.
While doing so, I noticed that the higher the video resolution you set your drone to, the more conservative object avoidance becomes. It does not matter whether you are actually recording or not.

If you do 1080, the drone will zoom past obstacles way faster than, say, doing the same while it's set to 4k. It will also go into tighter spots without complaining.

My hypothesis: It looks as if going high resolution taxes the CPU more, so less computing resources are available for navigation. Therefore, the drone gets more careful in order to avoid a collision. Object avoidance tolerances then get tighter when you go low resolution.

Has anyone experienced the same?

The speed of the SD card is more responsible for the Video Resolution given given the Camera Sensor has the ability.
To be honest I have never tested out 1080 footage on any of the drones. It also makes me wonder if the Smart Controller would have less lag in 1080 , interesting thoughts.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain.

How is the SD card related to the drone's object avoidance sensors?

Reactions: dawgpilot
It’s not.

That is my point , the fast SD card is all that is needed for high resolution and not really associated with the drones processing power which would effect the sensors .

Last edited:
I noticed yesterday when flying among some trees with my MA2 that obstacle avoidance would be beeping because there was a tree behind it but it would stop beeping when I started filming. Not in every instance but enough to make me wonder why. Shooting at 4K/60fps.

Yeah. I seems to become silent while recording.

Still, my question remains. Has anyone noticed how the drone becomes more "careful" navigating tight places when recording at higher resolutions?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair