DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Release Device For Mavic

Just curious if anyone here has experimented with any sort of release device for light weight items. For instance, dropping off a set of keys to my stupid brother who went to open a gate on the end of our property and forgot to take the keys. You have to drive down a steep hill to get to the gate, and no way to come back up the hill with snow on it. It's a long walk in deep snow. You can get out the other end of the road, and back on the road to the house if you open the gate. Also, I don't want to actually land at the gate because it's below line of sight from the house. So my idea was to just drop the keys with a red tag right at his feet by the gate. I have flown far beyond this gate, so distance here is irrelevant.

Just curious if anyone here has experimented with any sort of release device for light weight items. For instance, dropping off a set of keys to my stupid brother who went to open a gate on the end of our property and forgot to take the keys. You have to drive down a steep hill to get to the gate, and no way to come back up the hill with snow on it. It's a long walk in deep snow. You can get out the other end of the road, and back on the road to the house if you open the gate. Also, I don't want to actually land at the gate because it's below line of sight from the house. So my idea was to just drop the keys with a red tag right at his feet by the gate. I have flown far beyond this gate, so distance here is irrelevant.
I just saw one yesterday for the mav pro 2. It uses the light on the bottom to trigger the hook. Light on open light off catch closed. Sorry, don't have website info. cool thing 0 modifications needed and everything remains functional. The load is centered on the drone.

Thanks Rob. I haven't considered how to remotely do the release, but there are probably several ways to do it through certain drone quick maneuvers, or possibly by radio signal which would cost more.
But the key would get lost in the deep snow! maybe hide a key in a combo lockbox.

If you just have one or two occasions where you need to deliver something small like keys or a hat, etc., I have an easy solution: Hang the item on a long thin line. Carry the item to where it needs to go. The drone stays high to maintain good signal. Have the recipient take the item off by either snap or just cut the thin line and replace the item with some kind of similar weight, just anything, so the line doesn't fly around and get up into the props from the breeze. Return home. Item delivered at no cost and little trouble. This does require a human on the receiving end to remove the delivered item from the line.

I 3 D printed a drop device for MrMavic so that he can use it to drop small items. It just clips into the two spots in the rear that are sometimes used for extended landing gear legs

1547435298706.png

Yes, there is a great Payload Drop Mechanism that I have used for carrying ham radio antennas over high trees for over a year with amazing results. It is a wonderfully designed unit. Check out Dronefishing.com - Gannett payload release mechanism for Mavic Pro. Costs about $150. But worth every penny. You fly the drone to where you want to drop the payload and then sImply use the C1 or C2 key (pre-programmed for "Turn on/off Head LEDs) to open the servo and drop the load. I use Litchi instead of DJI Go 4 because Litchi has the option for a long press setting on the C1 and C2 buttons that prevents the often encountered unwanted premature drop when accidentally pressing the C1 or C2 buttons.

Last edited:
Not yet. I have been sick with a bad cold and it has been cold and snowy here for weeks I hope to try it soon.
Okay. Please report back. I wan't to know if it interferes with the sensors at all. I know they say it doesn't, but I'm sceptical.

I have tried the cheap $30 release setup with the remote fob. It says it’s good for up to 180’, but that’s not what I’m getting. 75’ at most for working range. The Velcro straps do clear the sensors, but the release is attached to the side of the Mavic.
It is worth the $30 for dropping water balloons in the summer though [emoji16].
The other release system I bought for my P4 Phantom uses a photo electric switch to release and that works 800-1000’ away.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada