DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Release mechanism for drone

BATATA004

Reactions
I need to build a mechanism that moves a pin to release a payload from a drone. The payload will be very light, something like 10 or 20 grams. I cant use any digital circuit, battery... it has to be purely mechanical and light.

First I was thinking about a hook that I would attach to my drone and when I make a very strong movement sideways the hook would release and drop the payload, but I couldnt find a good design to work reliably.

Then I thought about creating a mechanism just like a timer: after 30 seconds it would move a pin. The way I thought about it, would be like a small baloon with a tiny hole releasing air, and when it's full empty it would become small/shorter and would pull a pin. But having a baloon hanging in a drone would not be good (it would become a kite even using a small baloon).

Still using the timer idea I thought about folding a paper, when you fold a paper and release it, you will see that slowly it tries to get back to the original position... maybe attaching a string to the paper and make it pull a pin while it's trying to get back to the original position... but I think that must be a better way.

So I ask you: is there some way to build a "timer" (it does not need to be precise) that after sometime it can move a pin?

How about a clockspring like is used in the small toy cars that wind up when you pull the car backward. And then unwind, driving the car forward, when you release it. Wouldn't be a very long delay though.

Thank you! I took a look at clockspring mechanism on Google but I didnt find any easy to build one. The ones that come in toy cars, they unwind in a few seconds, usually less than 10 seconds... it wouldnt be enought for me to take off and position the drone to make the drop. Yet still, it is a good idea I didnt think!

I don't understand why one of the available release mechanisms won't work for you, but windup timers are mechanically very simple. They are nothing but a spiral spring driving a shaft that connects to a series of gears arranged to speed up rotation. You wind up the spiral spring and the drag of the gear chain provides the time delay.

Just giving it a small amount of thought...........how about something that is weighted as in a trap door.
(a small weight on the door)
When you fly over the target a swift up lunge will cause the door to open and drop the payload.
Just shooting my mouth off is all, I'll go hide now.

Look in Amazon for..payload dropping mechanisms..

What craft are you flying?
Why not an accurately controllable system, accounting for center of gravity (important) that you can completely add or remove from your craft in only a couple seconds, that folds nicely for your bag or storage, with stability extra landing gear included, that allows you to still use your lower spot lights, for not many grams weight?

MAVIC Air 2 series:

MAVIC 3:
Drone Thrower LED Light Camera Expansion Bracket Airdrop System for DJI Mavic 3 | eBay

Other also.

Reactions: umanbean
What craft are you flying?
Why not an accurately controllable system, accounting for center of gravity (important) that you can completely add or remove from your craft in only a couple seconds, that folds nicely for your bag or storage, with stability extra landing gear included, that allows you to still use your lower spot lights, for not many grams weight?

MAVIC Air 2 series:

MAVIC 3:
Drone Thrower LED Light Camera Expansion Bracket Airdrop System for DJI Mavic 3 | eBay

Other also.
You just hit your FN button on your controller to actuate it to make the drop. (It sees the lower spot light when you hit the FN button and it actuates and drops the cargo). Then hit the button again to turn off the light to save battery.

Reactions: mereflyer
Here is my solution:
The very simple loading hook. Just get a 1.6mm Stainless brazing rod from your friendly welding shop. Bend it into the shape to suit your drone, cover with short pieces of heat shrink tubing - see pictures.

Hover drone slightly above head height, attach 50 or 70mm fishing line loop to the hook.
As long as your drone is moving forward, the line or load will stay attached.

When you stop and rotate your drone 180deg to look back, the loop falls off and the load falls away.

I use this quite often for casting my friend's fishing line way out where the fish are bigger. Then let the fisherman take over.

Verry simple, verrry effective - No moving parts. Have a practise on land before going fishing.
Just remember to remove the hook before closing drone arms!DSCN2293.v01.jpgDSCN2296.v03.jpgDSCN2298.v01.jpgDSCN2312.v01.jpg

Here is my solution:
The very simple loading hook. Just get a 1.6mm Stainless brazing rod from your friendly welding shop. Bend it into the shape to suit your drone, cover with short pieces of heat shrink tubing - see pictures.

Hover drone slightly above head height, attach 50 or 70mm fishing line loop to the hook.
As long as your drone is moving forward, the line or load will stay attached.

When you stop and rotate your drone 180deg to look back, the loop falls off and the load falls away.

I use this quite often for casting my friend's fishing line way out where the fish are bigger. Then let the fisherman take over.

Verry simple, verrry effective - No moving parts. Have a practise on land before going fishing.
Just remember to remove the hook before closing drone arms!View attachment 156764View attachment 156765View attachment 156766View attachment 156767
I like that.. I have been using a sling and a release knot to place Ham antennas over trees.

I put a wire cable tie through the holes \slots on the rear downward protrusions at the back of the Mavic Pro, took a masons line that is tied to a weight (plumb bob) and attached the line to the cable tie with a quick release knot...just a tug will release it. The spool of the masons line goes on a piece of doweling and is free to spool off. When in position, tug the line and away it goes. Then cut the line and attach paracord and pull it in place from the plumb bob end.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom