Join Us Now

Remote Controller not bound momentarily - preflight

Desert Drone Works

Fancy Title Here
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.desertdroneworks.com
Hey all. I have the Mavic 3 FMC and purchased the RC pro controller separately. On every preflight check, it will flash a warning stating the controller isn't bound, then disappears. When I first added the controller a few weeks ago, it gave me a warning saying I had like 5 flights to bind it. I went through the process and seemingly all is well. However, this warning pops every single time I first fire up the controller and aircraft.

I had an incident yesterday where my controller lost signal (while having a full bar of signal and no visible obstructions) and the Mavic 3 auto returned to home. The aircraft was in VLOS at all times, but I was about 75 feet away from some powerlines so I chalked it up to that.

Now I'm sitting here thinking they might be related in some way? Has anyone else experienced this behavior on their FMC + RC addon? Thank you.

I have the mavic 3 cin and after the lates update today it will connect then disconnect then reconnect then disconnect while it is sitting on the ground what the " " is happening with DJI!!!!!!

Reactions: Desert Drone Works
These issues seem to be growing by the day. Unfortunately, the consumers are the ones holding the bag.
Hope things get better, but glad I’m not in the bag crowd.

I have the mavic 3 cin and after the lates update today it will connect then disconnect then reconnect then disconnect while it is sitting on the ground what the " " is happening with DJI!!!!!!
I noticed the same behavior just now as well... very disappointing. Doesn't give me confidence to go out and fly it any longer.

Was hoping the latest firmware update would fix this. After the drone and controller are finished booting My RC Pro takes 1-2 minutes to connect with the drone.

Mine is a little better on the ground so i flew it today and it was not far from me but at 345 feet lost connection flew back on its own but i took off again and could not get it to repeat the problem.

Mine is a little better on the ground so i flew it today and it was not far from me but at 345 feet lost connection flew back on its own but i took off again and could not get it to repeat the problem.
That's almost exactly what I had happen to me today too. That's wild. Only on my first battery and about 30-60 seconds after taking off it lost connection. Then fine for all 3 batteries after that.

Reactions: Rocker4jmav
After reading the number of issues with the Mavic 3, one would have have concerns about using it for commercial work.
Regards

Reactions: kodiak
Yeah, unfortunately, after updating the FW today I actually think this issue is worse. At least for me. My first flight after the update was perfect- powered everything on, they connected quickly and normally and no problems. But did three other flights today and each one started with a series of disconnections- while the machine was still on the ground. It would connect, disconnect and repeat that three to four times. Finally after the third or forth attempt it would then stay connected. Did not have any disconnections while airborne. But still, for sure concerning and a real shame.

Gagey, I agree completely. I definitely have concerns about using this for jobs. Hopefully they get their act together and get these fundamentals fixed ASAP. This drone has so much potential. But clearly they rushed it out before it was truly ready. Trying to get those holiday dollars. Frank needed a new G650.

Reactions: Gagey52
DJI support gave me the classic BS about refreshing firmware, etc... and said if that doesn't work I'll need to send it in. I'm getting tired of the same canned responses. I unbound then rebound my controller and will see how tomorrow goes just for kicks.

I too re-linked the controller and aircraft with no improvement. Will be very curious to hear if it does anything to help you.

As for sending it in, I think that's a waste of time. I think most or maybe even all of these machines would exhibit the same behavior because it's firmware related. Even though it's frustrating and should not be this way I think the only true solution is to either wait for new firmware that fixes it or just return the unit outright for a refund.

DJI refer to ’Linking’ as the process of tying the remote controller to the drone in order to allow you to control the drone.

’Binding’ is the process of electronically tying the drone serial number to the serial number of remote controller.

These are two separate functions of the remote to aircraft communications.

In order to be eligible for DJI flyaway insurance the aircraft and the remote must be bound to each other, this requires an internet connection in order to carry out the binding of the RC Pro or the RC-1N controller as it updates your account in the DJI system. Once bound you can go about your flying without the need for an internet connection. I suspect its also away to ensure that you’re using a DJI App while flying!

If you swap controllers you will receive a message that the Remote is not Bound to the aircraft and be given the option to Bind the new remote to the aircraft.

You can check that the remote and aircraft are bound by looking in the Aircraft Managment part of the fly app (under your profile).

Confusingly anyone from an RC background will refer to linking as binding!

If you are getting the Remote not Bound message, re-linking won’t help but re-binding will, you can in-bind the connected remote within the Fly App.

This is for Mini 2 but the Binding is the same:

DJI refer to ’Linking’ as the process of tying the remote controller to the drone in order to allow you to control the drone.

’Binding’ is the process of electronically tying the drone serial number to the serial number of remote controller.

These are two separate functions of the remote to aircraft communications.

In order to be eligible for DJI flyaway insurance the aircraft and the remote must be bound to each other, this requires an internet connection in order to carry out the binding of the RC Pro or the RC-1N controller as it updates your account in the DJI system. Once bound you can go about your flying without the need for an internet connection.

If you swap controllers you will receive a message that the Remote is not Bound to the aircraft and be given the option to Bind the new remote to the aircraft.

You can check that the remote and aircraft are bound by looking in the Aircraft Managment part of the fly app (under your profile).

Confusingly anyone from an RC background will refer to linking as binding!

If you are getting the Remote not Bound message, re-linking won’t help but re-binding will, you can in-bind the connected remote within the Fly App.
I appreciate that insight, thank you John. In my case any way, the controller is indeed both bound and linked according to the Fly App. I'm convinced I was seeing some weird bug as that error hasn't returned since redoing everything. It'll still drop signal after 45-60 seconds though then return... very strange.

Same issue here. Remote says it’s not bound and then goes away. Loses connection resulting in multiple RTHs. I was flying today in an open rural area with little to no interference, still encounter these problems. I also found that it was significantly worse during activetrack. To the point it would lose connection every time, even though it was only meters away. Very disappointed to say the least.

Well, this morning it went back to its usual disconnects. Took off, checked the signal, then dropped video connection. It said it was disconnected from the aircraft, but I could still maneuver it for 30 seconds or so. Then lost connection altogether until I rebooted the RC Pro. All within 10 feet of the aircraft. OOF...

Interestingly in my case it has never occurred while airborne. Maybe because I notice the disconnects right after power up and let it sit there for a while to sort itself out. After three or four disconnects it seems to stabilize and not have any more problems. If I then fly the machine everything is normal and good for the duration of the battery. And it doesn't always happen. My last flight yesterday I powered the system on and it connected right away with no issues on the ground or while in the air.

These kind of issues are totally insane and certainly a major disappointment. The only saving grace is that I do think this is firmware addressable and they will fix it. Hopefully in the next update and hopefully very soon.

Interestingly in my case it has never occurred while airborne. Maybe because I notice the disconnects right after power up and let it sit there for a while to sort itself out. After three or four disconnects it seems to stabilize and not have any more problems. If I then fly the machine everything is normal and good for the duration of the battery. And it doesn't always happen. My last flight yesterday I powered the system on and it connected right away with no issues on the ground or while in the air.

These kind of issues are totally insane and certainly a major disappointment. The only saving grace is that I do think this is firmware addressable and they will fix it. Hopefully in the next update and hopefully very soon.
In the interim I might try letting the signal drop and reconnect while it is on the ground prior to taking off. I agree, it appears to be a firmware issue.

Reactions: kodiak
Anyone good with logs? This is from a quick stop and flight. Literally just went straight up to see if the firmware refresh did anything. 1st log is where I had issues less than a minute in, 2nd log is from when I rebooted the RC pro to try to reconnect. What a **** show this has been.

The time stamps are really goofy. Saying my AGPS signal is weak but I have 20 locked sats. Am I missing something here? Maybe "starting motors" at 56 seconds after reset is just a placeholder but I found that odd too.

Well, this morning it went back to its usual disconnects. Took off, checked the signal, then dropped video connection. It said it was disconnected from the aircraft, but I could still maneuver it for 30 seconds or so. Then lost connection altogether until I rebooted the RC Pro. All within 10 feet of the aircraft. OOF...
this is a pretty common occurrence for me as well. but it also seems so random. Sometimes I have three flights in a row with zero issues. i've never had to reboot but I've waited a very long time...

Well, DJI support is forcing my hand. They won't even humor me by looking at logs. I just get the "send it to us" copy/paste over and over. Really unfortunate.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78