DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID app and NPRM

Phochief

Reactions
Everyone should watch this video to understand the basic good and bad points of a Remote ID app that is only being tested by DJI at this time. Rick from Drone Valley explains things in an easy-to-understand YouTube video.

And, in reference to the FAA's Notice of Proposed Rule Making on Remote ID, I totally agree with Rick that the number one problem with the current proposal is that the actual location of the pilot would be available to the general public. A lot of idiots actually think it's acceptable to shoot a drone out of the sky! I definitely don't want Joe Blow to come looking for me if he hates drones. I don't have a problem with law enforcement having access to my location, but allowing the general public to know exactly where I am located while flying my drone could be dangerous.

Everyone should watch this video to understand the basic good and bad points of a Remote ID app that is only being tested by DJI at this time. Rick from Drone Valley explains things in an easy-to-understand YouTube video.

And, in reference to the FAA's Notice of Proposed Rule Making on Remote ID, I totally agree with Rick that the number one problem with the current proposal is that the actual location of the pilot would be available to the general public. A lot of idiots actually think it's acceptable to shoot a drone out of the sky! I definitely don't want Joe Blow to come looking for me if he hates drones. I don't have a problem with law enforcement having access to my location, but allowing the general public to know exactly where I am located while flying my drone could be dangerous.
saw this vid in another thread ,and Rick makes some very good points,having law enforcement be able to locate your position is one thing, but not the general public

What techniques do you generally use to hide from Joe Blow when you are flying?

What techniques do you generally use to hide from Joe Blow when you are flying?

By not announcing my location over a loud speaker system and not transmitting my location to any iphones in the area. Seems to work so far.

By not announcing my location over a loud speaker system and not transmitting my location to any iphones in the area. Seems to work so far.

Perhaps that's more a reflection that people see you flying and don't care, rather than that you are not employing other methods to identify call attention to yourself. And I wonder how many members of the public will install the necessary apps on their phones anyway. You may be overestimating the level of interest in your flights. The high-visibility vests that a lot of pilots wear, especially Part 107, suggests that being easily identified reduces, rather than increases, public attention.

Perhaps that's more a reflection that people see you flying and don't care, rather than that you are not employing other methods to identify call attention to yourself. And I wonder how many members of the public will install the necessary apps on their phones anyway. You may be overestimating the level of interest in your flights. The high-visibility vests that a lot of pilots wear, especially Part 107, suggests that being easily identified reduces, rather than increases, public attention.

If flying responsibly, most people probably don't care. Most people are normal. Most people might not care about drones flying over their house or property. Most people don't rob banks. But some people actually think it's ok to shoot down a drone. Perhaps, some people could perceive a drone as a threat or intrusion and want to physically confront the pilot. Why make it easy for them to find you? I wouldn't want that person to walk up behind me.

Same reason the "Drivers Privacy Protection Act" was passed by congress in 1994 preventing the DMV from allowing the public to use the license plate on your car to access to your physical address. There were a number of harassment incidents and at least one murder back when the DMV used to allow such info to be publicly available.

Why take the chance? If Joe Blow thinks a drone is flying recklessly, or violating any laws, he should call 911, give them the Remote ID (assuming he has the app) and law enforcement could investigate.

Please convince me that allowing the general public to locate the pilot of a drone is, in some way, a good thing.

For me it's not even a matter of random people around me maybe seeing I'm flying a drone. It's more of an issue that you could have a criminal who is at home, decide to open up the app and then have targets he can hunt down and rob.

It's a robber's wet dream to have an app that can give him the exact location of someone with a $2000+ item on them.

See, most robbers who walk the beat have a much tougher time. They never know if their victim is going to be carrying $10 or $1000 in their wallet.

With this new tracking system, in theory, a theif could just open the app, see 10 different drone pilots flying in their city, and go rob each one and call it a day. Ten easy robberies in one day!

I know an even better idea. Let's make an app that anyone can use to track the location in real time of armored bank cars.

• Haha
Reactions: Drgnfli
If flying responsibly, most people probably don't care. Most people are normal. Most people might not care about drones flying over their house or property. Most people don't rob banks. But some people actually think it's ok to shoot down a drone. Perhaps, some people could perceive a drone as a threat or intrusion and want to physically confront the pilot. Why make it easy for them to find you? I wouldn't want that person to walk up behind me.

Same reason the "Drivers Privacy Protection Act" was passed by congress in 1994 preventing the DMV from allowing the public to use the license plate on your car to access to your physical address. There were a number of harassment incidents and at least one murder back when the DMV used to allow such info to be publicly available.

Why take the chance? If Joe Blow thinks a drone is flying recklessly, or violating any laws, he should call 911, give them the Remote ID (assuming he has the app) and law enforcement could investigate.

Please convince me that allowing the general public to locate the pilot of a drone is, in some way, a good thing.
For me it's not even a matter of random people around me maybe seeing I'm flying a drone. It's more of an issue that you could have a criminal who is at home, decide to open up the app and then have targets he can hunt down and rob.

It's a robber's wet dream to have an app that can give him the exact location of someone with a $2000+ item on them.

See, most robbers who walk the beat have a much tougher time. They never know if their victim is going to be carrying $10 or $1000 in their wallet.

With this new tracking system, in theory, a theif could just open the app, see 10 different drone pilots flying in their city, and go rob each one and call it a day. Ten easy robberies in one day!

I know an even better idea. Let's make an app that anyone can use to track the location in real time of armored bank cars.

Personally I don't think it is necessary for the public to see pilot locations, but all this hand-wringing about criminals locating you via the app and then coming after you is just so contrived. They have plenty of targets in plain sight, out on the streets, driving vehicles worth far more than your drone, or in their houses with far more valuables than one drone. Or they can wander around public places and just watch for people flying drones. Is this paranoia real, or are you guys just trying to invent ridiculous scenarios to get bothered about?

Reactions: BigAl07
Personally I don't think it is necessary for the public to see pilot locations, but all this hand-wringing about criminals locating you via the app and then coming after you is just so contrived. They have plenty of targets in plain sight, out on the streets, driving vehicles worth far more than your drone, or in their houses with far more valuables than one drone. Or they can wander around public places and just watch for people flying drones. Is this paranoia real, or are you guys just trying to invent ridiculous scenarios to get bothered about?

Sure, anyone can get robbed. But you're missing the point. Why make it EASIER for criminals and give them a tool to use? There is 100% absolutely no reason the general public needs to know the live location of drone pilots. LEO? Maybe. I'm not even fully convinced police should know your location either.

Sure, anyone can get robbed. But you're missing the point. Why make it EASIER for criminals and give them a tool to use? There is 100% absolutely no reason the general public needs to know the live location of drone pilots. LEO? Maybe. I'm not even fully convinced police should know your location either.

I'm not missing the point - you are confusing the point. If the discussion is about whether the public really needs to see those location data, then I agree with you. If the discussion is about the risk it poses to sUAS pilots, then I think that you are inventing completely improbable arguments that really don't help to make the case at all.

• Sad
I'm not missing the point - you are confusing the point. If the discussion is about whether the public really needs to see those location data, then I agree with you. If the discussion is about the risk it poses to sUAS pilots, then I think that you are inventing completely improbable arguments that really don't help to make the case at all.

Well you're entitled to your opinion.

Personally, my opinion is that with a nation of nearly 400 million people and hundreds of thousands of drone pilots, it's certain to happen that at least 1 pilot will be robbed as a result of this app. And even only 1 robbery case, even if isolated, will be a tragedy that could have been avoided.

I wish I was as optimistic as you; sadly my faith in humanity is lacking.

Last edited:
If you have an argument to contribute then by all means make it. If all you have are links to YT videos then I'm not interested.

So you won't accept video proof of these confrontations that you claimed are improbable? LOL

Hey, I'm still waiting for you to respond to my #7 post above asking you to "Please convince me that allowing the general public to locate the pilot of a drone is, in some way, a good thing."

I'm done wasting my time with you.

Ok guys... let's debate & argue all you want but let's NOT make it personal. That's the quickest way to get this thread shut down and then no one learns from your thoughts/incite.

So you won't accept video proof of these confrontations that you claimed are improbable? LOL

I've no idea. If you could have been bothered to state the case and describe the evidence, with supporting links, then I'd consider it. But I'm not simply following random YT links.
Hey, I'm still waiting for you to respond to my #7 post above asking you to "Please convince me that allowing the general public to locate the pilot of a drone is, in some way, a good thing."

I answered that in post #9.

Ok guys... let's debate & argue all you want but let's NOT make it personal. That's the quickest way to get this thread shut down and then no one learns from your thoughts/incite.

Sorry. As the OP, I was just presenting an informative video from Rick at Drone Valley. Not sure why this had to turn into a battle. Again, my apologies.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242