DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID for registered drones under 250g

You're inventing things to be distressed about. I'm quite sure the FAA will not allow multiple records with the same serial number.
I have no idea if they do or not so I'm not inventing anything, I'm simply asking a question. Sounds like you don't know for sure, either....and that's ok, nothing to stress out about. I just hope one of my serial numbers don't end up in the FAA database underneath someone else's name. 🤣

You think it's a good idea to allow the same serial number to be logged into the FAA database under different registration numbers?

Of course it is not. I'm confident that it has not and will not happen.
So if you sell your drone and you do not cancel your FAA drone registration (for whatever reason), will it prevent the new owner from registering their drone in the FAA database? What recourse does the buyer have to get their new drone registered and legal to fly in the US?

So if you sell your drone and you do not cancel your FAA drone registration (for whatever reason), will it prevent the new owner from registering their drone in the FAA database? What recourse does the buyer have to get their new drone registered and legal to fly in the US?
I'll bet that it does. They can contact the previous owner or the FAA. I'm done here.

Screenshot 2024-03-05 134440.jpg

This is what most rational people involved would simply call "just an implementation detail." I'm not super concerned about this, if the FAA hasn't figured out how to handle it yet, they will soon, as a clash of registration numbers is inevitable. As long as they do something reasonable*, it'll be fine.

* "Reasonable" would be:
  • Yes, once you have registered a drone, you can de-register it (cancel the registration).
  • It's not ideal if the drone registration remains (and remains visible) associated with the previous owner, as long as a new owner doesn't want to register it. Ideally, once registration is "cancelled" then it should disappear from the previous user's account, but it's not a huge deal, unless/until someone else goes to register it. If/when that happens...
  • New owner/some other person wants to register it, it then becomes associated with that person, and is then removed from any visible association with the previous registrant.
  • Any UAS can only be registered to one registrant at a time.
  • Registrations are just a database entry, and although I'm sure the Feds have all kinds of requirements for how their databases are set up and maintained, we don't need to see exactly how the sausages are made. Just make things work and that's all we should care about.

I'll bet that it does. They can contact the previous owner or the FAA. I'm done here.
That's unacceptable. But I'm not done, I'll keep up the good fight and push to get it fixed (for you); no worries.

This is what most rational people involved would simply call "just an implementation detail." I'm not super concerned about this, if the FAA hasn't figured out how to handle it yet, they will soon, as a clash of registration numbers is inevitable. As long as they do something reasonable*, it'll be fine.

* "Reasonable" would be:
  • Yes, once you have registered a drone, you can de-register it (cancel the registration).
  • It's not ideal if the drone registration remains (and remains visible) associated with the previous owner, as long as a new owner doesn't want to register it. Ideally, once registration is "cancelled" then it should disappear from the previous user's account, but it's not a huge deal, unless/until someone else goes to register it. If/when that happens...
  • New owner/some other person wants to register it, it then becomes associated with that person, and is then removed from any visible association with the previous registrant.
  • Any UAS can only be registered to one registrant at a time.
  • Registrations are just a database entry, and although I'm sure the Feds have all kinds of requirements for how their databases are set up and maintained, we don't need to see exactly how the sausages are made. Just make things work and that's all we should care about.
I agree and this is reasonable. Unfortunately, it is more likely people will simply forgo the proper registration details. If you can't register then you won't but for sure you won't call "800-CALL-FAA" just so you can have fun flying your drone in the city park. Some will and perhaps this will catch their attention but by then, the database will be "corrupt" and incomplete even more. The drone community would like people to follow the rules and stay legal but that isn't easy when the process doesn't allow it. For example, the serial number debacle has likely prevented thousands from registering. You and I, we know what to do to get it resolved because we have the knowledge and the resources; others, not so much. Guess we'll have to wait and see. FAA has made it clear that March is end of grace period to get your business in order. Let's see if they are ready. Appreciate the reply.

That's unacceptable. But I'm not done, I'll keep up the good fight and push to get it fixed (for you); no worries.

Well, ok then. You saddle up Rocinante, call Sancho Panza, and go poke some FAA registration windmills with your lance and right those un-rightable wrongs.

Let us know when you've found that first hulking giant terrorizing the peasants with multiple drone registrations sharing the same serial number. Of a zombie cancelled registration that comes alive and devours a former owner's RID signal.

Here's the soundtrack.

Seriously, what is the problem that needs solving?

New information (well maybe not, but new to me):

When you enter the FAA recreational portal and you attempt to add a new device which doesn't have RID (such as a DJI Mini 2 that you plan to use strictly for recreational purposes), you get the following message:

UAS MODEL * A serial number is no longer collected for devices that are not RID equipped.

However, you can still add the drone. This drone does not have to be registered because it is recreational and under 250g and years ago, I added it (with serial number) because I added strobes from time to time so I thought it would be a good idea to keep it registered. No longer. I guess this is no longer applicable because if I plan to use those strobes today, I would have to *cancel* the current registration and re-add it with "Remote ID broadcast module" after attaching one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13