DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID - The BEST Way to Steal a Drone!

I thank the beings that reside above that I don’t fly in the USA. But, I’m sure that it will happen in Oz as well.
Regards

I watched this video earlier this morning. Russ is right on, as always.

What is needed for the Remote ID information be detected by the general public?
Glad I fly sub 250 gram drones and glad I don't fly under FAA rule, though maybe it's coming to Canada too.

Forgive me if this has already been covered elsewhere, but there are two things here that immediately spring to mind:

1 - Someone will only be able to track your drone/know your location if they have a way of reading the data stream from your drone. For that reason, it would seem foolish to allow the software/hardware to be widely available to anyone other than LE or licensed organisations who actually need it. There seems to be a general feeling that anyone who wants it will be able have this facility but I think that, in reality, very few will. I’m guessing (hoping?) that, unlike ADS-B, it won’t be broadcast to anyone with an app capable of receiving it. If it was easily available, think of the opportunities for the potential theft of parcels from future commercial delivery drones which would also, presumably, be subject to the same RID requirements.

2 - Knowing the location of the operator (other than assuming it’s the same as the home point) would require GPS to be built-in to future, compliant remote controllers as not all connected tablets/phones will necessarily have a GPS capability (or if they have, normally have the ability to turn off location services for privacy reasons). This would not only increase the cost and complexity of the RC, but would also significantly affect the battery life.

Restricting access to the data would seem to be the easiest way to prevent the fear of Joe public knowing where you are. If you don’t break the law with your drone, why would you be concerned about LE or specially approved organisations knowing your location? I certainly wouldn’t if it meant being able to continue using my drone as I currently do.

Good luck policing that . Who in their right mind would attach an I.D module on their drone without good personal benefit rather than threats ?. maybe a few people who ride their push bikes on the cycle path that choose to wear hiviz and a helmet, or wearing a covid mask in their car all alone.
Cant see it ever working. Wouldn't be concerned.

ehh.. I get your concern if you're flying around the ghetto in Detroit or Oakland (lol) but flying here in the deep south in Savannah on the coast and the open areas that I fly I really think its a NON issue. UNLESS of course some red tape govt official thinks that my drone is out of sight just by looking at the numbers and then try and "ticket" me or something. The fact that some animal actually has the technical ability to find and locate where Im at just to come rob me is really a NON-CONCERN. But, saying all that, I TOTALLY do NOT want my privacy invaded by Govt restrictions/regulations and such... BUT it doesn't look like it would ever effect the way I fly now. More in line with current conspiracy theorists, really.

Lol. How is ANYONE going to be able to steal my drone???
Knowing where it's at in the air is meaningless unless you can bring it down next to YOU.

And waiting for it to land next to me before stealing it? Think again. I won't let you.

Reactions: smashse
Good luck policing that . Who in their right mind would attach an I.D module on their drone without good personal benefit rather than threats ?. maybe a few people who ride their push bikes on the cycle path that choose to wear hiviz and a helmet, or wearing a covid mask in their car all alone.
Cant see it ever working. Wouldn't be concerned.
Resent that I will 🤨
And I don’t have a push bike. Your new so would watch out what
you post before you offend the wrong one. 😉

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis