DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

remote id?

motopokep

Reactions
My Mavic Pro been collecting dust on a shelf for a few years, been busy and haven't stayed up to date on new FAA regulations. Looking to start flying again this year. I'm starting to catch up on the new laws that went into effect and about the remote id and learning that now the FAA will be able to track our flights and fine anyone who flies above 400 ft or beyond VLOS.

That defeats my "explorer" purpose for this drone. If I wanted a drone to fly within VLOS, I'd buy a $100 drone at Walmart. If I stay with the old software from a few years back and disable updates, I won't have the remote id and no one will be able to track my flights? Is there a way to disable recording flight data so not even DJI gets a record of it? I'm not looking to start a legal / ethical discussion. I understand that flying a drone w/o remote id will be like driving a car w/o a license plate, but it's a risk I'm willing to take for now, since the police drones are not in the air yet and traffic cops are not looking up through their sunroofs. I wanna keep my flight data private.

maybe with what you require from your drone flying it might be better if you just carried on and didnt worry about keeping up with the rules ,its your prerogative, the same as the comments you will get from others on this forum who dont share your disregard for the rules
this of course if my personal opinion ,so feel free to comment

First of all you are out of it on Remote ID. It will not go into effect for a year and a half and the flights won’t be recorded as was originally proposed.

As for the rest of your post, my personal opinion is if you don’t want to fly by the rules then stay out of the sky. If you want to explore try Google Earth you can go as high and as far as you want with it.

I'm not looking to start a legal / ethical discussion.
Well you just did and posted it in the wrong section which I will
move now.
Thank you .👍

My Mavic Pro been collecting dust on a shelf for a few years, been busy and haven't stayed up to date on new FAA regulations. Looking to start flying again this year. I'm starting to catch up on the new laws that went into effect and about the remote id and learning that now the FAA will be able to track our flights and fine anyone who flies above 400 ft or beyond VLOS.

That defeats my "explorer" purpose for this drone. If I wanted a drone to fly within VLOS, I'd buy a $100 drone at Walmart. If I stay with the old software from a few years back and disable updates, I won't have the remote id and no one will be able to track my flights? Is there a way to disable recording flight data so not even DJI gets a record of it? I'm not looking to start a legal / ethical discussion. I understand that flying a drone w/o remote id will be like driving a car w/o a license plate, but it's a risk I'm willing to take for now, since the police drones are not in the air yet and traffic cops are not looking up through their sunroofs. I wanna keep my flight data private.
RID won't have much reach. It will be WiFi or Bluetooth only at this point. It will also not record any flights, so there is no worry there.

And there won't be any "police drones are not in the air yet and traffic cops are not looking up through their sunroofs". At all.

But even without RID, you should maintain VLOS enough to make sure you have command of the airspace around your drone. That's the responsible (& legal) thing to do.

DJI have never been able to see your flight data unless you choose to upload it to their servers.
I wondered about that myself. I see on my Mini2 that every flight is recorded and wondered if DJI was some how getting them. China has a history of spying so I suppose that is next....

As Motopokep originally said, he isn't trying to discuss the laws here. Why isn't it possible for everyone to just get along? Everybody has to jump on someone that they don't agree with. I'm on several other forums (not just drones) and it's always the same. As soon as someone posts something they don't agree with everybody jumps on him.

I often fly in remote area and there isn't a chance of anyone else being around so I'm not worried about flying 410 feet or out past where I can see the drone. Can anyone tell how high 400 feet is unless they measure it? My mini2 measures it from the take off spot. Give a guy a break once in awhile!

I wondered about that myself. I see on my Mini2 that every flight is recorded and wondered if DJI was some how getting them. China has a history of spying so I suppose that is next....
DJI still doesn't get to see the flight data that's on your app unless you choose to upload it to their servers.

As Motopokep originally said, he isn't trying to discuss the laws here. Why isn't it possible for everyone to just get along? Everybody has to jump on someone that they don't agree with. I'm on several other forums (not just drones) and it's always the same. As soon as someone posts something they don't agree with everybody jumps on him.
And we are not allowed to state that we have an issue with someone that openly states that they don’t intend to follow the rules of operation? I stick to my belief that if you won’t fly by the rules don’t fly.

What would you think of pilots of manned aircraft not following the rules they have for operation. I think that would become rather messy in a short amount of time. No different for us, we are using the NAS and need to abide by our rules to the best of our ability. If we don’t there will be no path to expand our use of the NAS, and it will only become more restrictive.

👁️👮‍♂️👀👮‍♀️👮‍♂️👮‍♀️👮‍♂️👀👮‍♀️👮‍♂️👮‍♀️👮‍♂️👾👁️👮‍♂️👀👮‍♀️👮‍♂️👮‍♀️👮‍♂️👀👮‍♀️👮‍♂️👮‍♀️👮‍♂️👾

their eyes are always watching you
Isn't this the same logic people use to justify flash mobs, the ongoing store theft rage, and just anti-social behavior?

👁️👮‍♂️👀👮‍♀️👮‍♂️👮‍♀️👮‍♂️👀👮‍♀️👮‍♂️👮‍♀️👮‍♂️👾👁️👮‍♂️👀👮‍♀️👮‍♂️👮‍♀️👮‍♂️👀👮‍♀️👮‍♂️👮‍♀️👮‍♂️👾

their eyes are always watching you
Isn't this the same logic people use to justify flash mobs, the ongoing store theft rage, and just anti-social behavior?
No it’s not and several of you are starting to cross a line we don’t
allow here. Remember guys this is a Private forum ,not public
and you play by guidelines or don’t play. If this continues on
the path it’s going I will just stop this thread. Continue
just keep that in mind ✌️

I just updated my M2P to latest firmware and for better or worse, updated the dji go4 app on ipad mini4 to latest version, 4.3.46. I noticed now that Remote ID is turned on and can't be turned off. The sliders work, but clicking "apply" results in a message indicated applying failed to save settings.
Is this behavior in the app or the firmware? Seems odd it's set to on permanently at this point.
Is this compatible with the FAAs upcoming remote ID requirements or just an aeroscope thing?

As an aside, I personally think the remote id thing is useless and therefore dumb. It'll only be effective in tracking down people that generally want to follow the rules but may slip up and make a mistake. Nefarious actors are not going to be using remote id. I guess this debate is for another thread though.

Reactions: Cw4bray
I just updated my M2P to latest firmware and for better or worse, updated the dji go4 app on ipad mini4 to latest version, 4.3.46. I noticed now that Remote ID is turned on and can't be turned off. The sliders work, but clicking "apply" results in a message indicated applying failed to save settings.
Is this behavior in the app or the firmware? Seems odd it's set to on permanently at this point.
Is this compatible with the FAAs upcoming remote ID requirements or just an aeroscope thing?
At this point there is no drone or dongle made that is compatible with FAA's Remote ID.

It is hopeful that DJI's RID will be made fully compatible with the FAA's version with a simple update. But until the FAA releases it's specs, there is no way to tell otherwise.

RID won't have much reach. It will be WiFi or Bluetooth only at this point. It will also not record any flights, so there is no worry there.

And there won't be any "police drones are not in the air yet and traffic cops are not looking up through their sunroofs". At all.

But even without RID, you should maintain VLOS enough to make sure you have command of the airspace around your drone. That's the responsible (& legal) thing to do.
Keep your quad within VLOS and broadcast RID about 30/60 feet in case somebody next to you is near sighted. Maybe they can read their phone and see you on their wifi or Bluetooth connection. What a joke. VLOS > wifi/bluetooth of 60/30 feet. Maybe they'll never release a RID compliance because it'll hardly be worth it. You'll need RID when flying over people because you have to practically be standing under it to pick up the RID broadcast. And even that depends on several factors related to the magic of radio. Just about like the limited range of a FRIA.

At this point there is no drone or dongle made that is compatible with FAA's Remote ID.

It is hopeful that DJI's RID will be made fully compatible with the FAA's version with a simple update. But until the FAA releases it's specs, there is no way to tell otherwise.
Thanks. It's odd that DJI seems to have locked the UUID and other setting to "on" at this point.
It's frustrating and I'm not fond of being under the thumb of any corporation, particularly a Chinese company which, by definition, is affiliated with the CCP.

Keep your quad within VLOS and broadcast RID about 30/60 feet in case somebody next to you is near sighted. Maybe they can read their phone and see you on their wifi or Bluetooth connection. What a joke. VLOS > wifi/bluetooth of 60/30 feet. Maybe they'll never release a RID compliance because it'll hardly be worth it. You'll need RID when flying over people because you have to practically be standing under it to pick up the RID broadcast. And even that depends on several factors related to the magic of radio. Just about like the limited range of a FRIA.
wifi and bluetooth do seem silly, but you could look at this as a plus in that you'll have some privacy when flying away from populated areas minding your own business. When any given drone w/ this system is close enough to be a nuisance or threat, the ID can be received. It might be too close though even with wifi, especially if they the frequency is 5gHz.

BT3 has been tested out to 1KM.

All testing is done under best case scenario.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan