DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID

tenicdog

Reactions
I see mentions of FAA remote rulings. Can someone explain this in a short version? When does it take affect? I have a Mavic Pro Platinum. Can it be made to comply, or does it become a paperweight at that time?

Thanks in advance to the knowledgeable people here.

I see mentions of FAA remote rulings. Can someone explain this in a short version? When does it take affect? I have a Mavic Pro Platinum. Can it be made to comply, or does it become a paperweight at that time?

Thanks in advance to the knowledgeable people here.
There really is not. hard date yet. There is talk of launching the first provider in 2021, but that will really be an attempt at proof of concept.

No one knows if current drones will become paperweights. It all depends on how the final rule reads from the NPRM. By the end of this year we might see the final rule, so maybe two months. DJI can not do anything to fix it, until the rule is defined. DJI could definitely have sold a hundred million dollars worth of paperweights depending on how the FAA reacts. Even if a work around is produced with an update, I think we'll see limiting in the form of "locked" when no mobile phone service is available in mountain valleys and prairies.
Cell phones aren't reliable

Last edited:
The rule isn't final yet so nobody knows exactly what the FAA is going to require. I'd be very surprised if they effectively bricked the entire existing drone supply in the US. They'd be certain to face legal challenges in doing so.

Even with new manned aircraft regulations, they generally provide a long phase-in period and make provisions for flying older aircraft that can't be updated. (which may require staying clear of controlled airspace though)

No one knows if current drones will become paperweights. It all depends on how the final rule reads from the NPRM. By the end of this year we might see the final rule, so maybe two months. DJI can not do anything to fix it, until the rule is defined. DJI could definitely have sold a hundred million dollars worth of paperweights depending on how the FAA reacts. Even if a work around is produced with an update, I think we'll see limiting in the form of "locked" when no mobile phone service is available in mountain valleys and prairies.
Ya, no paper weights.

Reactions: Thomas B
Anything could happen, but doubt they will ground older drones... multiple analogies are available... my neighbor still drives his 37 Ford and just relicensed it... all original.

Reactions: Tetrad and sdold
Anything could happen, but doubt they will ground older drones... multiple analogies are available... my neighbor still drives his 37 Ford and just relicensed it... all original.
Apples to oranges analogy, your neighbors 37 Ford had an identification plate when it was built in 37. I think the FAA wants more than a serial number issued by DJI, they want a remote broadcast. The real question is; will they grandfather existing equipment and allow a multi-year phase in, using cell phone transmission of that data ? Fingers crossed !!!
Forbes had an interesting news article about the Bell test in fort Worth recently. They're not happy with the reliability of cell phones. Cell phone reliability and drone traffic reports.

Last edited:
Apples to oranges analogy, your neighbors 37 Ford had an identification plate when it was built in 37. I think the FAA wants more than a serial number issued by DJI, they want a remote broadcast. The real question is; will they grandfather existing equipment and allow a multi-year phase in, using cell phone transmission of that data ? Fingers crossed !!!
Forbes had an interesting news article about the Bell test in fort Worth recently. They're not happy with the reliability of cell phones.
Disagree... especially in an election, year with any government taking. Analogy is sound as the car (1937) that I referenced has non of the mandated safety/emissions/etc improvements.

Reactions: sdold
Yeah well here’s the reality of the situation everybody’s just gonna keep flying and there won’t be spit that FAA can do about it.

Disagree... especially in an election, year with any government taking. Analogy is sound as the car (1937) that I referenced has non of the mandated safety/emissions/etc improvements.
The difference between the 1937 vehicle analogy; is that, drones are public enemy number one and old "American graffiti" rolling stock are adored, loved by everybody even from 1937.
State rules vs. federal rules, as in - no emissions testing in Midwestern States.
I really hope you're correct, that they probably won't ground older units.

Reactions: Thomas B
Yeah well here’s the reality of the situation everybody’s just gonna keep flying and there won’t be spit that FAA can do about it.
It's not the kinder and gentler FAA I'd be worried about, but the Barney Fife police department with the MRAP SWAT team, the FAA is giving justification to the local authorities to waste more homeland security defense tax money on aeroscope and more sophisticated receivers. Knowing my own city council, they'll be purchasing antidrone radio jamming equipment ASAP.

For shame he didn't retrofit with a catalytic converter! [emoji4]

I think the remote ID will probably detour
Some people from wanting to fly drones
Due to being tracked by anyone who uses
A app that can track you down and possibly try to cause problems or even try to steal your drone.
I know it can have both good and bad issues.
I’m not for remote ID being a responsible and safe drone flyer.
I feel if this passes and goes through
We might all feel like we are being watched and who knows what might happen
God bless you all and thank you so much for your time.[emoji106][emoji53]

I’m not for remote ID being a responsible and safe drone flyer.
I feel if this passes and goes through
We might all feel like we are being watched and who knows what might happen

But if you're not doing anything illegal, what's the problem? The data will only show who the drone belongs to, where it is and what height it's flying (certainly in Europe). My understanding is that it won't show what you're looking at or what you're photographing or videoing. I'd be quite happy with this if it meant that I could continue using my drone as I do now.

As an aside (and it's a dry read!), this is from the upcoming EU/UK regulations at the time of writing (DR means Delegating Regulation and IR means Implementing Regulation - see below for more info):

From CAP 1789 - The EU UAS Regulation Package (an outline of the new EU/UK regulations coming into effect at the beginning of 2021):

Remote identification

While the sections of the DR relating to Class C1, C2, C3, C5 and C6 unmanned aircraft already describes requirements for these types to be fitted with a ‘direct remote identification’ system, the IR amendment has now added a requirement from 2 December 2021 that operators in the specific category must ensure that each individual unmanned aircraft is installed with an active and up to date remote identification system. If the unmanned aircraft is not fitted with such a system, details of the requirements for a direct remote identification ‘add-on’ (for separate purchase) are contained in Part 6 of the DR.

Note: the remote identification requirements are security and privacy driven, rather than for safety reasons

It's interesting that it doesn't mention the requirement for remote identification in the Open category. For reference, the document describes the Open and Specific categories as follows:

Open category – operations that present a low (or no) risk to third parties. Operations are conducted in accordance with basic and pre-defined characteristics and are not subject to any further authorisation requirements.

Specific category – operations that present a greater risk than that of the Open category, or where one or more elements of the operation fall outside the boundaries of the Open category. Operations will require an operational authorisation from the CAA, based on a safety risk assessment.

The following information is for those drones requiring remote identification.

From the European Commission Implementing Regulation (IR):

‘direct remote identification’ means a system that ensures the local broadcast of information about a unmanned aircraft in operation, including the marking of the unmanned aircraft, so that this information can be obtained without physical access to the unmanned aircraft.

From the European Commission Delegated Regulation (DR - the primary legislation):

(the drone shall) have a direct remote identification that:

(a) allows the upload of the UAS operator registration number in accordance with Article 14 of Implementing Regulation (EU) 2019/947 and exclusively following the process provided by the registration system;

(b) ensures, in real time during the whole duration of the flight, the direct periodic broadcast from the UA using an open and documented transmission protocol, of the following data, in a way that they can be received directly by existing mobile devices within the broadcasting range:

i the UAS operator registration number;
ii the unique physical serial number of the UA compliant with standard ANSI/CTA-2063;
iii the geographical position of the UA and its height above the surface or take-off point;
iv the route course measured clockwise from true north and ground speed of the UA; and
v the geographical position of the remote pilot or, if not available, the take-off point;

(c) ensures that the user cannot modify the data mentioned under paragraph (b) points ii, iii, iv and v

Last edited:
Reactions: shaneb50
Several commenters of the NPRM said the rule should standardize to ICAO. The EU version defines an open category which isn't subject to remote ID. I think of open category as vast expanses of class "G" airspace that doesn't have established communication Networks. Would the AMA file suit over lack of standardization ?

Several commenters of the NPRM said the rule should standardize to ICAO.

The ICAO regulations appear to be aimed at large commercial/military drones. One of their documents about unmanned aircraft systems (https://www.icao.int/Meetings/UAS/Documents/Circular 328_en.pdf) says this:

In the broadest sense, the introduction of UAS does not change any existing distinctions between model aircraft and aircraft. Model aircraft, generally recognized as intended for recreational purposes only, fall outside the provisions of the Chicago Convention, being exclusively the subject of relevant national regulations, if any.

So it’s a little grey but it appears that it’s down to countries to decide for themselves what to do.

I think of open category as vast expanses of class "G" airspace that doesn't have established communication Networks. Would the AMA file suit over lack of standardization ?

Unless I’m misinterpreting what you say, “Open category” refers to how the drone is used, not the airspace it flies in. See above about standardisation - there doesn’t appear to be any global standardisation with regards to recreational drones.

I think prohibition is the best analogy.
The feds could not enforce that either,

You can be tracked right now (for years prior also) with the DJI Aeroscope.

Reactions: Cw4bray
I think prohibition is the best analogy.
The feds could not enforce that either,

If a law enforcement officer could see you flying your drone but was unable to detect a remote ID, then it would basically be impossible to argue your way out of a fine or confiscation. The prohibition era was all about hiding away or operating in the dead of night - neither of which is the way most drones are flown. In Europe, it looks as though recreational flying is not likely to require a remote ID so the same may yet apply in the US.

You can be tracked right now (for years prior also) with the DJI Aeroscope.
And? So?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman