DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote stick removal confirmed

That red stuff is probably glue. I don't think they are intended to be removed lol.

I don't know about the control sticks pulling out. I can't get mine to come out at all and I'm use a good bit of force. I'm afraid to pull any harder. is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Reactions: Loz and NOLA-J
Don't pull the sticks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot remove mine. I went with some steady force and they didn't budge. Now my controller beeps very loud saying "return sticks to center" even though they are centered. It beeps so load I have to turn it off before I can trouble shoot. Not sure what to do here guys but don't pull your sticks!

Anyone know what to do about my controller? I fear I have done some internal damage....

This won't help you one bit and sorry to hear about your issue but if you are going to try to pull your sticks off you need to hold the ball part of the gimbal so you're not stressing the mechanism.. Mine came out relatively easily..

Reactions: Prop_Nut and NOLA-J
I remember watching early review videos specifically pointing out an option of the new Mavic Pro was the controller sticks were removable for travel. That is why i never understood why people make controller stick protectors.

Naturally i tried pulling on mine lightly and they dont seem to want pop off so seemingly mine are NOT removable. I ordered a protector kit and case just now

I see that in this thread some people are reporting their sticks do come on/off without any issues while others say no and one says he had errors from pulling on his.

So consensus is?

....im guessing the pre production model had that option and then they scratched the idea for whatever reason

I remember watching early review videos specifically pointing out an option of the new Mavic Pro was the controller sticks were removable for travel. That is why i never understood why people make controller stick protectors.

Naturally i tried pulling on mine lightly and they dont seem to want pop off so seemingly mine are NOT removable. I ordered a protector kit and case just now

I see that in this thread some people are reporting their sticks do come on/off without any issues while others say no and one says he had errors from pulling on his.

So consensus is?

....im guessing the pre production model had that option and then they scratched the idea for whatever reason

Yeah I would say avoid at all costs. I tried pulling without pressing against the ball joint and also tried pressing against the ball joint. No budge at all. Now my controller is yelling at me to re-center the sticks.

This won't help you one bit and sorry to hear about your issue but if you are going to try to pull your sticks off you need to hold the ball part of the gimbal so you're not stressing the mechanism.. Mine came out relatively easily..

When did you receive the drone. Mine clearly are not suppose to be removed. I wonder if they have changed something on the controllers through production. I got mine the second week of Jan. 2017.

I got my Mavic late November but I honestly don't think anything has changed in the design. They are, I believe, merely a friction fit possibly with some adhesive. There was some white residue when I took mine out so perhaps some are pressed into the holes in the gimbals much more than others and therefore won't pull out..

I remove mine when I'm using my Lowepro rucksack but leave them in when using my hard case, it is a nice option to have..

Reactions: NOLA-J
I got my Mavic late November but I honestly don't think anything has changed in the design. They are, I believe, merely a friction fit possibly with some adhesive. There was some white residue when I took mine out so perhaps some are pressed into the holes in the gimbals much more than others and therefore won't pull out..

I remove mine when I'm using my Lowepro rucksack but leave them in when using my hard case, it is a nice option to have..

I really want them to be removable. It would make sense for them to be removed, considering the compact design of the Mavic. But there is no way the controller I have right now was designed to be removed. It just didn't budge, and now I am dealing with the potential loss of the controller.

Calibrate the sticks if you haven't already done that.

I tried this. Calibration took the whole 60 seconds and the error still popped up. It beeps and says - re center sticks.

Gutted for you if it is damaged.. I hate that pit of the stomach feeling when you know/think you've damaged something precious to you.

I blew a $100 flight controller a while back when I hadn't noticed the power lead had reversed the polarity, it's a horrid feeling. Luckily the manufacturer sent me a replacement as others had the same issue.

I hope you get it sorted asap.

Thanks for the heads up. I was probably 90% close to screwing up my controller the same way. I was frustrated that it seemed so easy to do on the video. I gave up saying "I'll try again next time". I guess I won't.

Thanks for the heads up. I was probably 90% close to screwing up my controller the same way. I was frustrated that it seemed so easy to do on the video. I gave up saying "I'll try again next time". I guess I won't.

I am happy forums like this exist. I typically don't contribute, but hopefully this thread helps mitigate someone else's frustration. Good thing the Mavic can be controlled via the Wifi App from a mobile device. I can still have fun for now.

Reactions: Pedro
Seems like DJI may have changed their manufacturing process to ensure those sticks are NOT removable (by customers, that is) after hearing about people removing them for storage purposes.

I received my Mavic in mid November and my sticks can be removed with little effort...yet will not fall out when held upside and shaken aggressively.

I received my Mavic Oct 31 (ordered Sept 27) and couldn't remove the sticks. i pulled pretty hard but didn't want to damage it.

Your only option
I tried this. Calibration took the whole 60 seconds and the error still popped up. It beeps and says - re center sticks.
Your only option now is to push them in with as much or more force as you used to pull them out. I recommend a hammer.:)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803