DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remove altitude limits for mini 3

is there maybe a free way of doing this instead?
Buy a kite and attach the drone to it.
Why advertise something designed to breach no fly zones?
Just as matter of interest, what are the penalties in Sweden for breaking the AGL limit and breaching no fly zones?

Buy a kite and attach the drone to it.
Just as matter of interest, what are the penalties in Sweden for breaking the AGL limit and breaching no fly zones?
It is not illegal to remove the NFZ restriction in the drone. I have done that on all my drones, because the NFZ in the app are often totally wrong, preventing me to fly where I am allowed. And sometimes the opposite, DJI tells me I can fly there, but it is in fact strictly forbidden due to military installations.
It is of course my responsibility to fly where it is legal to fly, I don't need DJI to give me false information about where I can fly or not.
The point is, you are not breaking any law when removing the NFZ restrictions in a drone, but I know many people who thinkt is illegal.

I did not say it is illegal to remove the no fly zone.
I asked what are the penalties for breaching an no fly zone in Sweden.
I also asked why they would advertise something that has the capability of breaching. You have answered that as befits your usage but would it not also remove real NFZ's? Not everyone is as informed as you.

the Aviation Act (2010:500) contains rules regarding liability for crimes. What kind of punishment you get if you do what you describe is hard to say, it depends on whether you commit the crime with intent (with will, knowingly) or out of negligence. Of course, the consequences of the crime also play a role. 13 ch. Section 1 of the Aviation Act applies to the situation you describe. In the rule, it has been chosen to write that anyone who intentionally or through gross negligence "maneuvers" the aircraft in such a way that the lives or property of others are exposed to danger is convicted of negligence in air traffic. The word maneuver also refers to a situation where someone controls a drone from the ground. Whoever commits this crime is sentenced to a fine or imprisonment for up to six months. Serious crimes can lead to up to 2 years in prison.

the Aviation Act (2010:500) contains rules regarding liability for crimes. What kind of punishment you get if you do what you describe is hard to say, it depends on whether you commit the crime with intent (with will, knowingly) or out of negligence. Of course, the consequences of the crime also play a role. 13 ch. Section 1 of the Aviation Act applies to the situation you describe. In the rule, it has been chosen to write that anyone who intentionally or through gross negligence "maneuvers" the aircraft in such a way that the lives or property of others are exposed to danger is convicted of negligence in air traffic. The word maneuver also refers to a situation where someone controls a drone from the ground. Whoever commits this crime is sentenced to a fine or imprisonment for up to six months. Serious crimes can lead to up to 2 years in prison.
You misunderstand.
It is completely legal to fly a drone that does not have any built-in altitude limit or fly-zone restrictions. No rules or regulations says that a drone must have such restrictions.
The pilot is at any time responsible for flying legally and within the regulations.

Here are the most important rules to know for flying a drone in Sweden: (source: Swedish Transport Agency (STA))

Mandatory registration and licensing.

Drones may fly up to 50 meters (170 feet) above ground or sea level in the Open category and up to 120 meters (400 feet) in the Specific category. (The STA may grant exemptions to operators of specific category drones.)

Direct visual contact with the drone is required, and the operating distance should not exceed 500 meters.

Maintain a safety buffer zone of one kilometre around residential areas.

A safety distance of 500 meters from isolated buildings, people, vehicles, animals, and structures is required.

Stay a minimum of eight (8) kilometres away from airports and three (3) kilometres from heliports for safety.

At no time is it permissible to fly a drone at night.

There shall be no flying over, within, or near military installations, public utility installations, archaeological sites, or public or private facilities.

The question was regarding removal of altitude limits in DJI drones. Yes you can do it. Yes, you do have to pay for it. Yes, it is against Swedish Law to fly higher than 50 metres unless you have the relevant certificates and can operate in the Specific Category. Yes, the fines if you're caught doing so will make your eyes water.

You misunderstand. It is completely legal to fly a drone that does not have any built-in altitude limit or fly-zone restrictions.
I don't think that anyone is saying anything that suggests that removing the height limits is, in itself, illegal.
Rather I think the point being made is that breaking those legal limits may, if detected, have significant consequences ditto entering a NFZ, heaven forbid that there is an incident inside a NFZ.
As a UK flier found out to his cost Man fined for flying drone near World War Two Hurricane aircraft

Here are the most important rules to know for flying a drone in Sweden: (source: Swedish Transport Agency (STA))

Mandatory registration and licensing.

Drones may fly up to 50 meters (170 feet) above ground or sea level in the Open category and up to 120 meters (400 feet) in the Specific category. (The STA may grant exemptions to operators of specific category drones.)

Direct visual contact with the drone is required, and the operating distance should not exceed 500 meters.

Maintain a safety buffer zone of one kilometre around residential areas.

A safety distance of 500 meters from isolated buildings, people, vehicles, animals, and structures is required.

Stay a minimum of eight (8) kilometres away from airports and three (3) kilometres from heliports for safety.

At no time is it permissible to fly a drone at night.

There shall be no flying over, within, or near military installations, public utility installations, archaeological sites, or public or private facilities.

The question was regarding removal of altitude limits in DJI drones. Yes you can do it. Yes, you do have to pay for it. Yes, it is against Swedish Law to fly higher than 50 metres unless you have the relevant certificates and can operate in the Specific Category. Yes, the fines if you're caught doing so will make your eyes water.
i just got answer from the website and they said it was not possible to remove altitude limits on the mini 3.

Just my 2 cents, but lets be real, if you are gonna fly high and far, regardless of the laws, why would you do it with any mini? While they are very capable of handling wind, my mini 3 would never be my first choice for long range high altitude flights. That's not what these little birds were designed for.

Just my 2 cents, but lets be real, if you are gonna fly high and far, regardless of the laws, why would you do it with any mini? While they are very capable of handling wind, my mini 3 would never be my first choice for long range high altitude flights. That's not what these little birds were designed for.
I face one very good reason almost every day, namely, flying in non-flat terrains. I cannot fly far into any of the canyons in which I live, even if I stay close to the ground, because the ground itself (the canyon wall) rapidly rises in altitude. I have never managed to fly the drone as far as I would like, because the Mini 3 Pro refuses to fly any higher, even though it is still close to ground level. The entire "let's limit the maximum altitude to X meters above take-off altitude" is only reasonable when the local terrain is more or less level. It's idiotic for many of us who live in canyons, foothills, or mountains. I would LOVE to disable the altitude limit of my Mini 3 Pro, to allow FULLY LEGAL flying into the canyons near me.

Wonder if it would work if i faked the GPS location?
So i put the GPS location on like mount everest even if im in florida, so then i could fly like 9000m high...

Wonder if it would work if i faked the GPS location?
So i put the GPS location on like mount everest even if im in florida, so then i could fly like 9000m high...
That has been done before - 9232 meters :) :

I did not say it is illegal to remove the no fly zone.

Correct. Rather you asked,

He answered it.
I asked what are the penalties for breaching an no fly zone in Sweden.

So? No one here is obligated to discuss things in the manner you want them to. You asked several questions, he addressed one of them. You ignored that, and complained he didn't answer a different one.

Why so uncivil? It started with the snipe about the kite.

How about being nice?

Reactions: Christian Irl.
I face one very good reason almost every day, namely, flying in non-flat terrains. I cannot fly far into any of the canyons in which I live, even if I stay close to the ground, because the ground itself (the canyon wall) rapidly rises in altitude. I have never managed to fly the drone as far as I would like, because the Mini 3 Pro refuses to fly any higher, even though it is still close to ground level.

Curious: While I completely understand the problem you are facing and I agree with you, is the 500m/1500' ceiling limiting you in this situation? Or do you have your max height set to 133m/400ft?

Also, as long as we're limited to 500m, is there somewhere higher up you could launch that post-launch would stay within 500m?

The zones are in place for very real safety reasons. If you can't fly responsibly don't fly at all
You didn't read the thread.

There is a very real, not that uncommon reason the altitude limit can be legally exceeded.

I faked the GPS on my phone, but does that really matter when the drone also have a gps?
The drone knows witch height its at over the starting point even if i put the GPS position on mount everest or if i put the GPS at sea level i florida.
It wont go more thant 500m higher than mount everest and it wont go over 500m in florida.
So i guess i need to modify the drone GPS.
Thats to advanced for me.

It wont go more thant 500m higher than mount everest and it wont go over 500m in florida.
So i guess i need to modify the drone GPS.
Drones do not use GPS to measure height, they use a barometer that senses difference in air pressure.

Reactions: mobilehomer

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbee