DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remove altitude limits for mini 3

Curious: While I completely understand the problem you are facing and I agree with you, is the 500m/1500' ceiling limiting you in this situation? Or do you have your max height set to 133m/400ft?

Also, as long as we're limited to 500m, is there somewhere higher up you could launch that post-launch would stay within 500m?
Yes, I set the Mini 3 Pro to its max ceiling (500 meters) but that's limiting my distance in these canyons. No, the canyon walls are too steep and rugged to hike into and launch from. See attached photo ... and that's looking AWAY from the mountains of which these are the foothills. At that moment in flight, trying to fly further backwards was impossible since I would have crashed into the hillside just behind the drone. Google Earth is a great way to see Silverado Canyon (California) in interactive 3D.

DJI_0320-7.jpg

The zones are in place for very real safety reasons. If you can't fly responsibly don't fly at all
The zones are managed by DJI, not the government and can be both arbitrary and inaccurate. They are in my case.

I live about 6km from a small uncontrolled airspace airport. I see about 1 aircraft a week operating from it and by the time they overfly my area they're all at or above 1000 ft. Unfortunately, my yard, which is 30 acres of mostly alfalfa field and PERFECT for practicing, is just barely inside an arbitrary "Authorization Zone".

Every time I want to fly in my own yard I have to contact DJI for permission. This is really annoying, frequently doesn't work and has prevented me from full enjoyment of my purchase.

Unfortunately, the software modification to eliminate this interference by DJI won't work on my Mini 3 Pro. As much as I enjoy this drone, I wouldn't purchase another DJI system for this reason.

Reactions: Frank Dracman
The zones are managed by DJI, not the government and can be both arbitrary and inaccurate. They are in my case.

I live about 6km from a small uncontrolled airspace airport. I see about 1 aircraft a week operating from it and by the time they overfly my area they're all at or above 1000 ft. Unfortunately, my yard, which is 30 acres of mostly alfalfa field and PERFECT for practicing, is just barely inside an arbitrary "Authorization Zone".

Every time I want to fly in my own yard I have to contact DJI for permission. This is really annoying, frequently doesn't work and has prevented me from full enjoyment of my purchase.

Unfortunately, the software modification to eliminate this interference by DJI won't work on my Mini 3 Pro. As much as I enjoy this drone, I wouldn't purchase another DJI system for this reason.
Ok thanks for explaining, I understand now. The DJi Flysafe website allows you to requst a customised unlock of the zone . I assume it works for all countries but it works in the UK. You request permission from the ATC for the field you mention who will grant it i'm sure. Then you follow the unlock procedure on the website attatching your permission document and it unlocks the zone for you. I did my last one for a full year and it was all pretty straightforward Fly Safe - DJI

Correct. Rather you asked,

He answered it.

So? No one here is obligated to discuss things in the manner you want them to. You asked several questions, he addressed one of them. You ignored that, and complained he didn't answer a different one.

Why so uncivil? It started with the snipe about the kite.

How about being nice?
Yup, but there is always "that guy," you know the one, he knows everything and all the rules, and has to try and input his little nugget of gubment information on you instead of just not clicking on the post. Usually lives in his mothers basement and is recognizable by having no friends in real life.

Reactions: Davros007
Yup, but there is always "that guy," you know the one, he knows everything and all the rules, and has to try and input his little nugget of gubment information on you instead of just not clicking on the post. Usually lives in his mothers basement and is recognizable by having no friends in real life.
Good point, there are several on this forum 😁

Ah, the mavic pilots forums… Just been checking out my fav Land Rover forum. Want to know how to do something potentially silly? Someone will just say, “Hey, ya bein’ a bloody idiot. This is how I did it on mine…”. Here, we get the drone police. How about someone just answer his question? Who’s to say he even really where he or she says he is? Perhaps they’re in a war zone? Perhaps they just want to know?? Perhaps the reason they clearly gave is the exact reason? Whatever, yep, have your piece about “the rules” then either help, or move on!! Really don’t get all the off-topic replies. If we need to know “drone rules”, pretty sure we’d ask! And yes, I follow the rules. But me, for the sake of knowledge, knowledge being power, I’d love to know how to complete every conceivable hack on everything from making bad things from stuff at my hardware store, to removing any restrictions on my drone. Nothing wrong with knowing!!! Just don’t do illegal stuff with your knowledge.

Reactions: weirdoz
Anyone that have tested this?

Also, is there maybe a free way of doing this instead?
There was a time when DJI first created the first NFZ with the original Mavic Pro that some developers were publishing ways to get around the NFZ. I'm sure it took a lot of time on their part to keep up with what DJI was doing. Then DJI completely locked anyone from changing the code (more like the program parameters). This was in early 2017. I myself never updated the firmware on my Mavic Pro from then on. Which means I can fly anywhere I want to assuming I can do it legally through LAANCE authorization.
Anyway, I believe these developers just didn't want to spend time trying to circumvent DJI's lock anymore. So I doubt you'll find anyone else doing it for free.

Just my 2 cents, but lets be real, if you are gonna fly high and far, regardless of the laws, why would you do it with any mini? While they are very capable of handling wind, my mini 3 would never be my first choice for long range high altitude flights. That's not what these little birds were designed for.
One obvious reason to use a mini 3 is if you F Up and hit an aircraft you are less likely to do major damage to it or its occupants due to its light weight. Hence the less restrictive rules for drones below 250 grams. Not that I condone flying high as I am on the other side of the equation being a pilot by profession.

when I fly my drones over 400 fr, I just get a warning. It does not force my drone down.

I'm surprised that Udemy is teaching this course. I thought they were somewhat legit but I guess they don't screen courses, they just want their take.

when I fly my drones over 400 fr, I just get a warning. It does not force my drone down.
Yes, but when it reaches its current maximum altitude setting, it will refuse to climb any higher. The user cannot set that to be anything above 500 meters (1640 feet) on the Mini 3 Pro.

Here a guy name tony says this:

"We understand. If you want to unlock the 500 m limit for your aircraft, please go to (DJI FlySafe) and upload relevant signed or stamped documentation that authorizes your application for approval. We hope this helps. Have a nice day."

I was in contact with dji support and they said the 500m limit could not be unlocked.

As someone who loves the flight telemetry on screen- (rc recording)..and might go above 120mtrs momentarily (After doing 360's to check for aircraft) for a better quick shot,or panorama..Getting rid of that onscreen warning would be very welcomed. If anyone ever finds a solution please get in touch.I thank you.

Isn't it only temproarily displayed? I.e. it disappears after a few seconds "all on its own".

Isn't it only temproarily displayed? I.e. it disappears after a few seconds "all on it
Isn't it only temproarily displayed? I.e. it disappears after a few seconds "all on its own".
If I wanted to go up higher brother, it would remain on the screen ruining my footage,and causing a hazard when I'm looking out for aircraft.

As someone who loves the flight telemetry on screen- (rc recording)..and might go above 120mtrs momentarily (After doing 360's to check for aircraft) for a better quick shot,or panorama..Getting rid of that onscreen warning would be very welcomed. If anyone ever finds a solution please get in touch.I thank you.
Try tapping it.

@Christian Irl.
"If I wanted to go up higher brother, it would remain on the screen ruining my footage,and causing a hazard when I'm looking out for aircraft." ah ok.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure