DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Repairing M2Z crash damage.

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103366

Edit, it seems you can swap the front sensors between Zooms at least. Just watch out for changes in the types of screw used at various points. In the crashed Zoom the gimbal screws (4) are machine screws going into brass inserts, in the droner Zoom they are self tappers going into plastic (mean there was a difference in the shells)
In the crashed Zoom the screws securing the sensors have TINY crosshead slots that look to be smaller than 00, in the doner Zoom the crosshead slots are 0. The former were a nightmare to remove and will need fixing somehow or replacing.

Last edited by a moderator:
So a work in progress, new sensors arrived today and fitted. Test flight, they work but need calibrating. However during the test flight the drone occasionally visibly vibrated and on take off the left rear arm would lift a bit. Looking more closely I noticed there was a very slight gap visible between the arm and the drone body, bigger than any gap between the RR arm and the drone body. To cut a long story short, there is a lug on the inner end off the arm's pivot that was broken off. I think it acts as a rotation stop but I can not guarantee that until the replacement arm arrives. When fitting the arm into the bore of the pivot in the drone this lug looks to fit into a recess in that bore. Combined with the tab into which the arm's screw screws this means I think that the spring loaded pivot thing needs to be in the arm folded for storage position when fitting the arm into the drone or removing it from the drone.
I tried this with the RR arm and it seems correct but as the RR arm wiring is still connected I did not remove the RR pivot assembly.
It turns out there was damages to the gimbal carrier too, the damper rubbers fit into holes in the bit of the gimbal bracket that is attached to the actual gimbal. One of the front holes was broken open and a piece was missing. Rather that replace the carrier I laid a piece of Araldite impregnated sting along the carrier's edge to 'complete' the hole wall.
The ends of the string are whipped to the carrier with a strong thread and all the string/thread is Araldited.

Attachments

• M2Z broken LR arm pivot.jpg
    M2Z broken LR arm pivot.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Araldite impregnated string repair.jpg
    Araldite impregnated string repair.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Araldite impregnated string repair 2.jpg
    Araldite impregnated string repair 2.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:

DJI Drone Deals