DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Repeating Magnetic interference

revzin2000

Reactions
Hi,
Every time I turn the bird on I get a "magnetic interference - calibrate compass" request that disappears after I calibrate,
did it happen to anyone here ?

Does it happen in different locations? It happens to me in a specific spot on my driveway, or if I’m near my vehicle. If I move it 10 ft it goes away. This is fairly common, based on the number of comments on this site. The popular theory is that it is metal or some other source of magnetism in that specific spot. In my case it is mostly likely rebar reinforcing metal in the concrete, or in the case of the car it’s obvious.

Does it happen in different locations? It happens to me in a specific spot on my driveway, or if I’m near my vehicle. If I move it 10 ft it goes away. This is fairly common, based on the number of comments on this site. The popular theory is that it is metal or some other source of magnetism in that specific spot. In my case it is mostly likely rebar reinforcing metal in the concrete, or in the case of the car it’s obvious.
It happens everywhere :confused:
even far from the car

Reactions: mereflyer
Hi,
Every time I turn the bird on I get a "magnetic interference - calibrate compass" request that disappears after I calibrate,
did it happen to anyone here ?
Yes, I have had the same issues. I didn’t call DJI about it yet because I am returning my aircraft back to the supplier due to a disagreement with the seller. But it constantly gave me that message. Now, I would recalibrate the aircraft and would not have any further issues, but it seems strange to continue to keep having to do it. Also, when I bought it, I flew down to Dallas to hang out with my cousin who owns the Phantom 4 pro and for four days and went on a drone binge, and his drone was never impacted by this “magnetic interference”. I should have my new aircraft in a week, so we will see if it was just that unit or a larger issue. I will report back with a full update.

Is it possible that you have something what in your everyday carry routine that could be causing the issue? Like I wear a neck knife that is made of metal and I assume it's possible that it could create magnetic interference or other tool that you always carry?

I have it too - virtually every flight and I don't wear a watch and sometimes am taking off from nowhere near anything metallic - eg in a field.

I have a pin in my shoulder from an operation - it's surely not that sensitive!?

I never had this with original pro but am getting it with 2 pro. I often 'over-ride' it and am able to take off - and the message stops - so am assuming this is safe ...

Revs: First, I'm sorry that you're having mag interference issues and it does sound like a phantom warning if you're certain there isn't any iron-based metal in the vicinity.

HOWEVER, I think you are "teasing the animals" by overriding the warning and flying. If it isn't a phantom warning, you could have a fly away. That said, I don't have a solution if you get it no matter where you are, other than to send it back to you know who. Good luck with the issue.

Last edited:
Every time I turn the bird on I get a "magnetic interference - calibrate compass" request that disappears after I calibrate
Do you have any 3rd party accessories attached to the Mavic?

Is the Mavic sitting on the ground with the arms unfolded before powering it on?

Do you normally have any metallic items on your person when you power on the Mavic (anything that could be within several feet of the Mavic)?

Yes, I have had the same issues. I didn’t call DJI about it yet because I am returning my aircraft back to the supplier due to a disagreement with the seller. But it constantly gave me that message. Now, I would recalibrate the aircraft and would not have any further issues, but it seems strange to continue to keep having to do it. Also, when I bought it, I flew down to Dallas to hang out with my cousin who owns the Phantom 4 pro and for four days and went on a drone binge, and his drone was never impacted by this “magnetic interference”. I should have my new aircraft in a week, so we will see if it was just that unit or a larger issue. I will report back with a full update.
Keep me posted & Many thanks !!

Reactions: Blakjac
Do you have any 3rd party accessories attached to the Mavic?

Is the Mavic sitting on the ground with the arms unfolded before powering it on?

Do you normally have any metallic items on your person when you power on the Mavic (anything that could be within several feet of the Mavic)?
Nope, don't wear a watch or any other metallic items. so I don't think it's the case

Jake: I was worried about the PP case magnets too so I kept them separate from my backpack. However, that got old having to carry two different bags so I tested them. First, I put one case in the backpack and it was probably two linear inches away from the drone. No mag interference. Added a second PP case, same thing. Finally, I put the five or six PP cases in the backpack overnight and tried again the next day. No interference so personally, I'm no longer worrying about them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King