DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Replacing my lost Mini

axismoto

Reactions
I recently donated my mavic mini to the Colorado landscape while attempting to utilize the Litchi follow mode. When I lost connection due to trees blocking VLOS, the drone proceeded to descend to the preset 15m and return to home. Unfortunately, some trees interfered with that plan and 3 hours of searching and trying to connect turned up nothing. Litchi doesn't locate with ios and with no Wifi in the area I was out of options.
While searching for the drone, I learned about all of the settings in litchi that would've prevented my stupidity from losing it.
So, do I buy a replacement drone only for around $300 or look for other options?
I like the mini, and already have a controller and two batteries.
Would the Mini2 be compatible with my controller and batteries?
thanks

I recently donated my mavic mini to the Colorado landscape while attempting to utilize the Litchi follow mode. When I lost connection due to trees blocking VLOS, the drone proceeded to descend to the preset 15m and return to home. Unfortunately, some trees interfered with that plan and 3 hours of searching and trying to connect turned up nothing. Litchi doesn't locate with ios and with no Wifi in the area I was out of options.
While searching for the drone, I learned about all of the settings in litchi that would've prevented my stupidity from losing it.
So, do I buy a replacement drone only for around $300 or look for other options?
thanks
the only thing you could use if you got the Mini2 would be the batteries but you would need the original MM charger for them ,stuff like the props unfortunately although they look the same are subtly different, and the screw depth and threads are also different the RC will not work with the mini 2 either ,if funds are an issue then there are quite a few MMs around where people have upgraded to the Mini2 so you should be able to find one

Reactions: Gagey52
Axismoto, sorry to hear of your loss, Old Man Mavic is on the money. the mini A/C are great aircraft, and there are plenty of 2nd hand about if that's the way you want go, but, the mini 2 is in a class of its own.
Regards

I'd like to mention that the Mini 2 multi-charger does in fact properly charge Mavic Mini batteries. It's one of those things they got right. It charges both types properly.

thanks
"proceeded to descend to the preset 15m and return to home"
New pilot here, but my rule of thumb (a very short thumb right now) is always RTH at the highest possible altitude. Any thoughts?

The little thing will fly into the stratosphere if you let it! I only go high enough to clear the nearest obstacle, the wind can change drastically in even a few meters. Sending you drone to the next county. My mishap happened because I was stupid and didn't take the time to set RTH altitude.

So, looking at the Mavic mini... Will the price go under $400 any time soon for a starter package? With Mini2 out, maybe I wait out the summer and see if the original gets cheaper.

"proceeded to descend to the preset 15m and return to home"
New pilot here, but my rule of thumb (a very short thumb right now) is always RTH at the highest possible altitude. Any thoughts?
Hi PepperBird. As others have stated, going too high can cause RTH issues due to strong upper winds. You certainly want to be high enough to avoid any obstacles plus a bit of a buffer, but no need to max out RTH height. Also if it is windy try to always fly upwind so that if you have to use RTH the drone will be flying back with the wind, making its RTH much easier.
Happy Flying

@PepperBird in respect of your post as others have stated ,the RTH height should be as low as possible plus 30ft so as to clear the tallest obstacles that may be present where you intend to fly
dont forget that the height you set it at, is calculated by the drone as the height above the take off or home point ,so if you were flying out over a valley from a high vantage point then you would only need to consider any tall trees etc that are behind you where the home point is, if it was just flat landscape behind you then a RTH height of 30ft would be plenty over the home point ,because as you flew out over the valley you would already be at a considerable height above the ground ,that way in the event of a RTH happening the drone would not have to climb so high from its position in the valley before it came back home it is advisable, as part of your pre-flight checks, to set the RTH height before you get airborne based on your surroundings

the drone proceeded to descend to the preset 15m and return to home.
I am taking that to mean it descended to the preset RTH height, if I am correct is that a feature of Litchi?

Pepperbird, one other point about a high RTH, it wastes unnecessay power in the climb and descent to and from height. I do not know if the Mini takes the set RTH height into consdieration when setting the low battery RTH threshold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e