DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Replacing Props - When?

modbuilder

Reactions
Assuming normal operation and no crashes or bangs into stuff, is anyone replacing MP props based on some criteria other than a visual inspection for cracks, nicks, and creases? I know that the props flex, and I know that stuff that flexes can get brittle or weak from that kind of use. On the one hand, props that have successful time on them have demonstrated that they were manufactured free of serious defects, and that boosts my confidence in them. On the other hand, I can't imagine them not getting weaker with extended use.

So............. does it make sense to replace old props with new ones after some amount of use?

Reactions: Former Member
is anyone replacing MP props based on some criteria other than a visual inspection for cracks, nicks, and creases?

I replace a prop immediately when it doesnt lock into the top of the motor or there is any slack at all once it's locked in. It should push, turn and then pop into the groove. If there is any movement or play once it's on, it goes into the trash.

The blade should not be too tight so as the blade will not freely move on the rivets when you open it. You will see this problem on blades with rusted rivets. Too loose and too tight will also appear on generic blades; the rivets will either be too loose or too tight.

There is no real maintenance per flight hour, such as airplane or jet engines have on them, but it's also a good idea to regularly inspect them.

Ive been trying to do more regular inspections now and it’s finally becoming routine but I’ve decided at the minimal cost of new props, I will swap out once a year, if not needed prior. I don’t fly as much as I previously did. 1-2x a week so not high on mileage.
Mike

It’s good to have flexible props. I had “carbon fiber” props. The can develop hairline cracks/fractures and disintegrate during flight.

I was thinking of the same qu recently, proven use vs wear&tear.... So i'm happy to read info/tips above...
Do you all remove your props after EVERY flight? Again, proven use (nobody has touched it since storing) vs the slim chance of not correctly securing the prop

I leave my props on but check them regularly. Test for slop in the mount, look for cracks and making sure both lugs are still intact.
I have over 100 flights on my originals with no signs or trouble. But the only thing these props have ever hit is bugs.

Reactions: Aww@Mavic
I don't remove the props after a flight. I do take my time and fold the props back carefully while folding the legs back in. I believe that I'm adding risk rather than reducing it if I remove props unnecessarily. Leaving them stored on the MP also seems to be about the least stressful way to store them that I can come up with.

I’ve swapped out some of the DJI low noise props due to splitting (unusually) on the trailing edge found during preflight checks. The drone not been crashed and yes the props were DJI and purchased from an authorised reseller. No, the flight control parameters have not been altered to allow more radical flight which might have placed more stress on the equipment and I don’t fly excessively.

Thanks for the report on the DJI low-noise props. I've run a set of them and liked them. Did some unplanned leaf trimming with them and replaced 'em with traditional props as a preventive measure. Was going to buy some more low-noise jobs, but now will probably just stay with the original design. I'm pretty risk-averse when it comes to the props on my MP.

Reactions: Size13
DSC02268.jpg Today is the day I replaced props!
Experimenting with a novel set of floats (more artistic than functional) when things went haywire and the bird sat down hard on the beach gravel. Chipped the tips of the pops on one rear set.
Attaching a set of old glass fishing net floats with sticky tape, just for fun. Somehow they interfered with the ultrasonic sensor, it took off and kept going up without holding at 4 feet. I overrode the controls and brought it down a little too hard. Other than the chipped props no damage.

Last edited:
I posted elsewhere here that I had the left drift problem with my MP. I read somewhere, either here or on the official DJI forum, about checking props as one possible reason for the left drift, other than the very well documented firmware update that seems to have introduced drift.

I inspected my props, and sure enough, on the leading edge of one, there was a very slight curling. I pulled out the spare factory set, put them on, and my left drift problem seems to have gone away.

I waiting on the high performance props to arrive so I can test them out.

But I do have a question: do you all trash all 4 props, or do you keep the ones that still are smooth as spares? Just curious.

TIA,

Reactions: MSR1
I was thinking of the same qu recently, proven use vs wear&tear.... So i'm happy to read info/tips above...
Do you all remove your props after EVERY flight? Again, proven use (nobody has touched it since storing) vs the slim chance of not correctly securing the prop
I definitely remove all my props after EVERY flight, because I don't like the stress they have on them when storing or handling the Mavic when not in the air. Plus that way I can visually inspect everything and be sure they are alright and clip correctly before the flight.
I also have the habit of doing some pre-flight check, turning the motor on with props on and leave the Mavic on the ground, just to inspect one last time everything before the drone start its flight.

Reactions: Aww@Mavic
View attachment 42136 Today is the day I replaced props!
Experimenting with a novel set of floats (more artistic than functional) when things went haywire and the bird sat down hard on the beach gravel. Chipped the tips of the pops on one rear set.
Attaching a set of old glass fishing net floats with sticky tape, just for fun. Somehow they interfered with the ultrasonic sensor, it took off and kept going up without holding at 4 feet. I overrode the controls and brought it down a little too hard. Other than the chipped props no damage.

You should check out this link on youtube, simple DIY solution for floats on the Mavic

Regarding prop fatigue...they, after all, are made of plastic resin.
It all depends on what resin is used by DJI.
Most, but not all, common molding resins exhibit 'creep' under load.
so if they are left on the motor lock, the locking tabs will eventually creep away from the load...and the warmer the weather, the greater the creep.
If they are made of any eutectic plastic (acetal group) they do not creep and are crazy strong. The most common of these is brand name Delrin. So when DJI shares the resin type they use with the common Drone Head....we will just have to deal with creep and uncertainty.
Life is tough....and confusing at times....buy a new set if you are concerned. BTW the knock-off prop makers haven't seemed to figure out the resin type and copy it,... which I believe is the major cause for their poor performance. In China...they LOVE ABS plastic. It is easy to mold and a good utility resin.....but maybe not the right one for maximum durability and one that could result in potentially catastrophic failure. Save $10 and lose a $1000. I don't worry so much...but props are sadly ablative.

I would never replace dji props with grey market props ...I spent a grand + on the mp. Not a single chance I’m taking even the smallest risk with props that dji hasn’t made specifically for their own product. The cost of authentic dji props is not that different from grey market,so I buy the dji and call it a day. Inspect every time I fly,but if there’s no visible damage I still replace the whole set once a year. So I’ve replaced my set one time so far and will replace the set again at the end of this year unless I nick them up before. That’s just my preference I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: drakkor
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ENJOYBIKE